Propaganda being taught to my daughter at school.

Uncivil

They are doing a nutritional unit in my daughters class all focused around "healthy whole grains" her homework was to circle "healthy" snacks on a page full of food pictures. She had three of twenty things circled grapes carrots and bananas. Pretty good for a first grader. I added a note that we don't consider whole grains health food in our house.

• Administrators

LOL, keep us posted on what the school's response is to your note!  I guess it should be considered no different that a vegetarian family not circling fish or chicken because they don't feel that they should eat it.  

Totally awesome that your little one has that foundation already!

I had this with my eldest son last year in Home Education. He knows the school curriculum is a bit of a bug bear of mine & he's obvioulsy taken on board at least *something* from my many rants. During a class discussion about diets and what types of food they consider to be healthy he told his teacher that I follow a paleo lifestyle. She told him that I was missing out on 'all those healthy grains'. He replied that her diet of low fat yoghurts & diet drinks may well contribute to her suffering from type 2 diabetes & premature aging in later life.  :o  :wacko: 

That's my boy!!  :D

I'm trying to get my kids to un-learn what they've been taught in school (and also by their dad)--I can't tell you how many times I've had the "But grains/dairy are good for you!" arguments with my two at dinner.

Thankfully, now I can stand on a leg that dairy isn't good for *me*, but it's really hard for them to wrap their brains around that 50% of what they know about what's "good" food might not be.

And let's not even get started on "breakfast food".  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Love this string, and I have the same struggles - Not too long ago, I suggested to my 13 year old son that he should follow a Paleo-type diet (dropping grains and sugar) and he'd probably see a huge improvement in his times at track meets.  He responded "but we need whole, healthy grains in our diet".  I just about fell on the floor...and then I explained what grains REALLY do to us.  

I will never forget the day a few years ago that I dropped by his elementary school and before I left, I stopped in the cafeteria where he was having breakfast.  If you can call it that. They had served him a chocoloate-chocolate-chip Otis Spunkmeyer muffin, and chocolate milk.  REALLY!?!?!?  There is a NUTRITIONIST that created the menu?  

We have a saying around our house - if it has grains or sugar or dairy, or is a processed food, it's "not human food".

Archived