White potatoes... lethargic and bleuuurgh

Just wondering if this is a normal reaction. I am on day 30 and have felt awful all day, lethargic, snappy and angry. One of the reasons I wanted to do Whole30 was to see how my food intake influences my moods (anxiety, depression, mood swings, RAGE!). I have definitely felt like my mood has been a lot more level since mostly cutting out sugar in Jan, then doing a Whole30. I was feeling quite optimistic, like I might have nailed it.

Then, day30 and feeling pretty rubbish all day hit. I think I overdid white potatoes as we were v short on other foods yesterday and this morning. Last night's dinner was sea bass, kale and roasted potatoes (white and sweet). Then I used leftover potatoes as part of breakfast today, fried up with some other veggies and eggs in coconut oil. Then a little bit of mashed potato (more leftovers) with sausages, peppers and kale for lunch. I wouldn't have eaten this many potatoes at any other point in the programme... But is the low blood sugar / feeling spacey / moody likely to be potato related? I am really, really hoping so as I had been feeling so much better, then today was just horrible. I ended up resorting to a load of snacky stuff (nut butter with apples, fruit etc) by mid-afternoon which of course didn't help, except temporarily. Again something I have generally managed to avoid on other days. I only started feeling better after meal 3, which I suspect was much better (red Thai beef and mushroom curry, a few toasted cashes and courgette noodles).

Luckily we have a lot more variety of veg in our fridge now. Anyone else have crazy potato mood swings if they overdo them?!

• Administrators

Maybe it was too many potatoes causing a flood of starchy carbs for your body to deal with.....or it's possible that you are coming down with something?

After 30 days of compliant Whole30, I would suspect your body could handle a few in-a-row servings of potato providing the serving sizes weren't ridiculous?

Sleep last night pretty bad, my 14 month old woke loads, so maybe that instead. Or maybe just because. Was just hoping I could pin it to something diet-related, because, I don't know, it feels like something I can control more easily. I think I feel a bit down / anxious about the 30 days coming to an end, too. Today has definitely been my worst day for bad mood and also for emotional eating, all compliant but not consumed in a particularly mindful / positive way.

Sleep is crucial.  Of course with a toddler it is also hard to get.  I had a night a couple weeks ago where I barely slept.  I was a wreck the next day.  Teary, snappy, moody, crabby.  It was 100% the lack of sleep that did me in that day.  

I'm not sure where you are in your cycle, but of course that can play a huge role.  

Personally I would not think that a few back to back meals that featured potatoes were a problem.  You still had a lot of other vegetables and protein.  The only thing I see missing is fat.  Cooking in the coconut oil does not necessarily meet the fats requirement because a lot of stays in the pan.  Healthy fat is a crucial part of the program.  

You could be right about the fat actually. I usually add half an avocado to meals like those, or a handful of nuts, or oil on top (though I do also try to tip the cooking oil on to my plate). I did feel better after my dinner (which had cashews AND half an avocado).

Cycle is weird, I am nursing and I am now on day 60 something without a period, so who knows on that front... It seems to have stopped again.

Day 31 and I made it, just trying to decide whether to do another back to back, take a short break then restart or try some reintroductions. There have been a couple of mistakes that I didn't realise about, so I would like to do a further full 30 days and be super careful, either immediately or shortly.

My cycle didn't return for what felt like ages after I had my boy, he nursed constantly....now he eats constantly...hmmm...connection?  ;)

Good for you for completing your 30 days!  Whatever you decide about continuing, having an intermission, or going through re-introductions hopefully you will be armed with great nutritional knowledge and health

Archived