Article: How Obesity Became a Disease

AmyS

This article from The Atlantic is both enlightening and depressing: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/how-obesity-became-a-disease/388300/

While this is not an official Whole30 resource, I do recommend this article to folks who are wondering about the relationship between good health and weight. I hope it gives some folks a sense of relief (along with possible outrage).

Not entirely on the same topic, but this article is pretty interesting as well. I think it shows that even if you can't go "all in" with you current situation, that even small changes will add up.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/the-fitness-guru-of-the-trucking-industry/387754/

Again, notice how obesity is specifically referred to as an illness - something the article I linked points out is entirely arbitrary. (I'm not saying long-haul truck-driving is healthy, but naming obesity in a list of illnesses it brings about is part of the problem "my" article describes in detail.)

AmyS, I completely understand your point. I think it's interesting that these articles are on the same website, same section, and are showing conflicting information/viewpoints. I read them yesterday, one after the other, and that stuck out to me. I guess for the one I linked I might be a sucker for stories with a "nicer" ending. I was less angry shaking my fist at insurance companies, lobbyists, (anyone really) than I was when I finished the obesity article.

Good point - one article saying obesity is a made up disease doesn't make up for a pattern of articles (even in the same publication) assuming it is.

And you're so right, anything that helps long-haul truckers get healthier is a happy thing. :wub:  I remember watching the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and feeling totally inspired by the life transformation of the long-haul trucker. Funny, it ended up leading me to Whole30 and not the juice fasting the movie recommends. :lol:  But yeah, it's inspiring to see people reaching past huge obstacles to get healthy. :wub:

• 1 year later...

The article on long haul truckers is very near and dear to my heart.  My husband has been driving for over 10 years, we have been able to reverse his diabetes but not made much impact regarding his weight.  Most other companies wellness programs are still stuck in the AMA or Diabetes Diet recommending the whole grains thing and not really seeing the big picture of truck drivers.  Thank you for the article I've got some research to do to help open this type of training to trucking companies.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Carol said:

May I show you what an obese person looks like?

This is a photo of me on patrol at my weekend volunteer job.  I'm a park ranger. 

I hate the damn BMI chart.

Yes, the BMI chart, like the scale, has very little information to give us regarding our actual state of health and fitness. 

Archived