sauerkraut

garylin

I can't see where you live, but if you are the Northwestern US, there's Farman's Brand kraut.  I got a screaming deal on a huge jar at Costco recently.  Its ingredients are Cabbage, Water, Contains 2% Or Less of Salt, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative).  The Sodium Benzoate is OK on a whole30.   There are better options out there, but this is a very tasty technically compliant kraut.  Also Steinfeld's brand, they are made by the same parent company and have the same ingredients.

I can't see where you live, but if you are the Northwestern US, there's Farman's Brand kraut.  I got a screaming deal on a huge jar at Costco recently.  Its ingredients are Cabbage, Water, Contains 2% Or Less of Salt, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative).  The Sodium Benzoate is OK on a whole30.   There are better options out there, but this is a very tasty technically compliant kraut.  Also Steinfeld's brand, they are made by the same parent company and have the same ingredients.

Keep in mind, that although the kraut may be compliant, it is probably not true fermented kraut so would not have the probiotic benefits. Both are compliant but for probiotics you need the fermented kind (check the refrigerator section for that--it is not shelf stable.)

Keep in mind, that although the kraut may be compliant, it is probably not true fermented kraut so would not have the probiotic benefits. Both are compliant but for probiotics you need the fermented kind (check the refrigerator section for that--it is not shelf stable.)

Aha!  Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...

Check your nearest whole foods store. I've been able to get fermented kraut with just cabbage, water and sea salt. It's also easy and cheaper to make your own kraut. Check the web for instructions but you can make a one quart batch with just two pounds of shredded cabbage and four teaspoons of sea salt. You ferment it right in the jar so you really don't even need a crock.

**If you have a family member who is not a fan of sauerkraut, melt some ghee in a pan and let it warm up. Toss in your sauerkraut and saute until just warm--don't heat till hot  if you are using fermented sauerkraut--and serve. My hubby, who is a lover of vinegar pickled sauerkraut was taken aback by fermented, but announced that it was the best he ever had just warmed up in the melted ghee. REALLY good with compliant sausages!!  We like it with the chicken and apple -- i think they are the adiels brand that we grab at costco-- **

• 2 weeks later...

Will it say "fermented" on it?  Or should I look for other keywords that indicate its the fermented kind I'm looking for?

A lot (most?) of saurkraut is fermented. The trick is to look at how it's packaged. If it's in a shelf-stable jar then it's been heat treated and wouldn't have the probiotic benefits. It's still tasty and Whole30 approved (assuming there are no non-compliant ingredients on the ingredient list), it just doesn't have the good bugs in it. If you want to buy saurkraut that still has the good bugs, look for brands that are sold in the refridgerated section. Bubbie's is a popular brand--just make sure to read labels.

The sauerkraut that is on the store shelves-like where the olives and pickles are--is done in a vinegar brine and hot packed, so if there were any good bugs in it, they are killed off in the canning process. Real, raw sauerkraut, the one that has all the good stuff in it, is raw packed and is in the refrigerated section. I have only found 1 or 2 brands where I live in my local store. If you have a Trader Joes or a Whole Foods, I would start there, and look around in your local market. Walmart is sure not too, but if you find a store that carries Bubbies pickles, which are in a salt brine and seasonings only, they might be able to order some in for you. If not, you could try making your own--it isn't that difficult--just cabbage, salt and a few jars to pack it in. There are instructions that you can find on line for exact amounts. 

Archived