Avocado Breakthrough!

This Whole30 thing has been a struggle for me, but I had a breakthrough the other day. I have been poring over all the posts about what people eat and the area I struggled with is the healthy fat. I was using olive oil (and now use coconut oil) for cooking, and I LOVE nuts (but I know I can't overdo those), but I knew that overall I was not consuming enough healthy fat to sustain me. I was still quite hungry in the afternoons and didn't know how to get past that. I read tons of posts that talked about avocados - I knew they were a great source of healthy fat, but I hated avocado the last several times I tried it so I was really frustrated at my lack of options. Well, the other day I decided to just take my big girl pill and try avocado again - I bought some Whole30 compliant guacamole from the store and used that to dip my raw veggies in - OMG it was AWESOME! My tastebuds truly have started to change I think. I certainly don't have to worry about an unhealthy psychological response to it as I can't imagine CRAVING guacamole, but I was so relieved to find that it didn't taste awful anymore. I was able to have that as part of my lunch the last few days and it really helped me last all the way to dinner without crashing in the afternoon. I'm so thankful for this forum and all the encouragement I have gleened from it. For those of you struggling like I have with your options (or as you may see it, LACK of options) - take heart and know that if you keep an open mind, you'll be surprised what kinds of food you may enjoy that you didn't before!

• Moderators

Yay!

I make my own guacamole by mashing a ripe avocado in a mixing bowl with a splash of lime juice. You could add some onion, salt, and garlic, but I am happy with just lime juice and mashed avocado. It goes great over eggs, chicken, beef, and as you noted, with veggies.

Thanks Tom and Cw19 for the ideas. I will have to start making my own I think - I'm quite sure that'll be cheaper than the store bought kind. Any tips on how to make sure the avocado is fresh? Do I just squeeze it and see if it's soft? You're talking to an avocado newbie here so I have NO idea :)

Avocados should give slightly to your touch. But you can buy the hard one and leave them on the counter until they ripen and then put them in the fridge and they will keep.

I eat avocados with everything.

Pre whole 30 I made a chocolate pudding type thing with cocoa avocado and a little agave. I'm thinking of trying it with some coconut milk and butter and leaving out the agave and seeing how I like it. Whip it up in the mini food processor and it's refreshing. If you actually like pudding this wouldn't be a good Food for you to connect with, but if you don't like sweets, like me, then it's pretty good :)

Lady, another good tip is if you buy multiple avocados because they are on sale, you can leave the ones you want to eat soon out on the counter, but put the others in the refrigerator and pull them out a day or two before you want to consume them. I buy mine from Costco and they come 5 in a bag so I start with two out and three in the refrigerator.

Avocados should give slightly to your touch. But you can buy the hard one and leave them on the counter until they ripen and then put them in the fridge and they will keep.

I eat avocados with everything.

Pre whole 30 I made a chocolate pudding type thing with cocoa avocado and a little agave. I'm thinking of trying it with some coconut milk and butter and leaving out the agave and seeing how I like it. Whip it up in the mini food processor and it's refreshing. If you actually like pudding this wouldn't be a good Food for you to connect with, but if you don't like sweets, like me, then it's pretty good :)

I'm with you, I eat avocado with everything... for my guac I add fresh cilantro, it's super yummy... I recently found a recipe for chocolate avocado pudding... 1 medium avocado, 1 frozen banana, 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tbsp cocoa nibs. Blend until smooth!

OMG..I just made the Dreamy Avocado dressing from ISWF (page 277)..awesome!!! I can't praise it enough. I made half with olive oil and the other half with mac nut oil. Love them both. I also used fresh jalapenos instead of jarred or canned because I have them in my garden.

Archived