Concerned newbie starting April 6th

DevonMrs

Hi

I am just introducing myself. I am starting for the first time on Monday 6th April.. I am currently motivated, keen and raring to go but doing all the prep first.

I am doing it to address a few health problems and to hopefully feel better, healthier and lose some weight too.

I'm really worried that I'm going to go wrong by accident, like missing an ingredient that's not allowed or using too much oil or just getting it wrong. I am reading and reading and preparing but have many had to start again because of making mistakes?

Thanks

Julie

Sometimes folks do start over, yes - or extend their Whole30 by a few days - or delay reintroduction of a certain item after their Whole30 is over. It's OK if that happens, and it's OK if it doesn't.

The main thing to keep in mind is that Whole30 is extremely simple.

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein (where eggs are your sole source of protein, a serving is how many you can hold in your hand - usually 3 or 4)

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat (count nuts as a fat source on Whole30)

3. 1-3 cups of veggies

Do that three times a day, the first time within one hour of waking. If you work out, you get to eat pre- and post-workout meals too (pre is protein and fat, post is lean protein and carbs).

It's hard for most of us to use too much oil/fat, because our society tends to be so fat-phobic. Cooking oil doesn't usually count in your fat serving, since most of it stays in the pan.

It's true that even canned foods and spices can have sneaky non-compliant ingredients (check and double-check for sugar and soy in the ingredients lists of just about everything that's not a piece of produce or a hunk of meat). But you can buy single spices and even spice blends that are really great and don't have sneaky icky stuff in them.

If you have questions about any particular item, you can ask here. You can also post a food log if you'd like to keep track of what you're eating. And you can always come here with questions if you are confused or concerned during your Whole30.

It may be a different way of eating. But it's not terribly complicated - as long as you keep it simple for yourself. Yes, the change itself can be complicated. But the food does not have to be.

You can also prepare by starting to make and eat Whole30 meals before you start next week, and get used to how you will cook and feed yourself before you kick off your official Whole30.

You'll be fine, really. Enjoy, eat up, and happy Whole30ing!

The first week I planned out all my recipes so I would have everything prepared. Think about the stuff that you normally eat and try to make it whole30. For example steak, potato and salad. I would stick to single spices for the steak not a rub or marinade which probably has non compliant ingredients. You can have ghee on your baked potato. I also love homemade salsa on my potatoes and make sure your salad dressing is compliant. I use olive oil and lemon or compliant vinegar, salt and pepper. Roast a chicken with ghee, salt pepper and lemons - check out Nom Nom Paleo. You can eat the chicken all week and then make bone broth from the carcass. If you like spaghetti use spaghetti squash for the noodles and make homemade meatballs in tomato sauce. I would definitely keep it simple the first week and I would not eat out at all on my whole30. The worst thing is to think you are eating something that is compliant and then find out that your friend "put a little milk in it to make it creamy" and now you have to start over. Good Luck! You can do it!

Archived