Starting April 6th

Ajamay

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks ladyshanny that's really helpful!  I've had a read of the articles and it's given me food for thought (I know I couldn't really use any other analogy now could I?).  The Sugar Dragon is an issue for me, so I'll have to keep aware.

I made some toasted coconut flakes yesterday as I'm travelling tomorrow, and I thought it would be a good snack on the road.  I figure this is OK?  

I also made zucchini (courgette) noodles yesterday for the first time - I really liked them and will make more!!  

Have a good day everyone, and try not to Kill All Things  :P

Hi everyone, I'm a bit late to the party but I also starter April 6th and would love to join your group!

I did my first Whole30 in February/March and found the support in the forums to be so helpful!

I'm doing another so soon because my sweet tooth just isn't tamed yet!

Last time I struggled with seriously low mood for the first 20 days or so, major sugar withdrawal I think, so I'm hoping this time will be better!

This time round I'm really focussing on not snacking, and if I have to, to make it protein and fat rather than carbohydrates. For example, where last time round I would have grabber a Nakd bar, this time I'm going to try and go for a chicken breast.

I'm in the UK so its 11am day 4 for me, all going well so far except I've picked up a nasty cold so dying to just binge on some chocolate!!

Obviously I won't, I'll just ride it out and stick to the plan :)

Hi everyone,

Lizzi - Take care of that foot. 

Jazmin - Welcome. 

Justine - Hope you're feeling better today.  Volz you too. Had to smile at you're post. 

Sorry guys, memory does't go back so far but I've read all the posts and I'm glad to be here sharing with you all. ( just need to go and look at that recipe. Sounds delish )

I"m feeling pretty good today. Struggled a little with the " something sweet " craving last night but got through it.

Have a good day everyone.

xx  

Hello Everyone!
Happy Day 4!!!

So far everything is going well, I'm really happy I made a breakfast casserole on Monday, its lasted me all week! Here is the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.fromthiskitchentable.com/sweet-potato-breakfast-casserole/

And prepping lunch before the next day has done wonders, although it does kind of irritate me when my coworkers say my grassfed beef and spaghetti squash looks gross, while they are munching on a sandwich and chips. Smh

The only issues I am currently having is by the time I get off work, all I want to do is snack, even after dinner. I've been following the meal templates but may have eaten too many plantain chips from Trader Joes last night. Those may just be my "food without breaks."

Hope everyone else's day 4 is going well!

• Administrators

Thanks ladyshanny that's really helpful!  I've had a read of the articles and it's given me food for thought (I know I couldn't really use any other analogy now could I?).  The Sugar Dragon is an issue for me, so I'll have to keep aware.

I made some toasted coconut flakes yesterday as I'm travelling tomorrow, and I thought it would be a good snack on the road.  I figure this is OK?  

I also made zucchini (courgette) noodles yesterday for the first time - I really liked them and will make more!!  

Have a good day everyone, and try not to Kill All Things  :P

Toasted coconut is compliant.  But.....consider that if you eat three proper meals, even while travelling, the "habit" that a lot of us have of snacking while travelling, is hand to mouth eating that we're trying to program away from.  ;)  It is similar to the movie theatre question that we get from time to time about what a "good" snack would be to eat during the movie.  Our standard answer? Eat a meal beforehand and don't snack. ;)

Also, if the sugar dragon is an issue for you, coconut is just naturally sweet enough and in toasted "chip" form, can be a food without brakes for some.

Happy Day 4 everyone !  I've been doing this since late February, but had a few start overs.  Then last weekend, I went camping, and ate whatever we had available, not to mention to peanut butter eggs in the kids' Easter baskets.  But I'm back on track now, and all the candy in the house has not tempted me.

What I've learned so far is that you don't start really feeling great until about 2 weeks in.  My first time, by the third day, my body ached so much, it felt like I had just worked out for hours (NOT!) and I was so tired for the first week.  But after about 14 days, man !  Did I feel good?  So good that even when this 30 days is over, I don't ever plan to go back to my old way of eating.  

My MIL and SIL are visiting in two weeks for my son's first communion, and they are interested in this new way of eating.  I'm trying to get my husband to try, since he is constantly complaining of aches and pains.  He likes the food I make, but then has toast with his eggs, or some goldfish while watching TV.  I really also want my kids, especially  my son (autism) to eat this well, but they are reluctant to give up their sandwiches for lunch.  Yesterday, though, my son asked me to put some vegetables in his lunch box.  I almost cried !  We're getting there.  Here are my meals for today:

M1  scrambled eggs with spinach, shredded sweet potatoes and onions, hot water with lemon (never thought I could give up coffee, but I did !)

M2  green salad with homemade Italian dressing, avacado, egg

plus tuna salad with homemade mayo, celery, egg and spinach

M3  still up in the air, but probably a piece of talapia on the grill with some green beans.  

It's amazing how just one weekend of eating off plan can make all those good feelings go away.  Hmmm, like a conspiracy (lol).  My MIL wants me to show her some things in the kitchen.  ME !  I remember calling her to ask her how long to boil an egg years ago, and now she wants advice from me?  

Here's my favorite quote for the day:

If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.  (Yoda, Return of the Jedi)

Have a great day everyone !!!

Thanks again ladyshanny.  Hmm...tbh I was panicking a bit because I'm worried that I won't be able to get compliant food.  However, I also think you're right that I need to think about snacking mindlessly.  So with your advice in mind I'm going to pack a meal to take with me for lunch and some compliant snacks for emergency only.

I think I'm also not eating enough - it seems such a lot!!

Ok...I think I must be missing something...I don't feel bad??? I feel pretty normal.  I felt a little tired yesterday (Day 3) and didn't run yesterday morning but now I feel fine.  Am I eating too much?

Breakfast:  3 egg omelette with veggies (onions, peppers, spinach) and some air-cured proscuitto for flavor (no additives...) 

Lunch:  Chicken breast, green beans and few grilled potatoes and a few apple slices

Some sunflowers seeds and 10 almonds this afternoon while working

I'm running again, but not as "fast" as I would like....drinking a lot of water.  Im running about 16-20 miles per week and doing trainer with weights and a bit of golf on the side (but in a cart!)

Am I missing something?  It seems I am supposed to feel bad?   Am I doing it wrong????

Help!!!

Greetings all,

Day 4 and not feeling too bad at all, just a little tired.  No sugar cravings, but I wasn't eating much before. Really missing my grass fed butter and yoghurt! The flip side of that is my usual spring hay fever symptoms- itchy, watery eyes, sniffles- are abating ( not that we are having any kind of spring here in new england! It snowed again this morning here!) Already getting a bit bored with my usual meals, it's great to see what you are all having for a little inspiration! 

Keep up the strong work everyone!

Good afternoon! Hope everyone has had an amazing day four so far! I'm struggling a bit today. It seems that life has that way of interfering with our best laid plans. I ended up having to run errands at dinnertime yesterday, so I wasn't able to cook dinner. The great news is that I had my lunch for today that I was able to eat for dinner last night, but that left me without lunch today. I improvised, but didn't feel happy and/or satisfied, so now I'm grumpy! Yesterday's meals:

M1: scrambled eggs, sauteed veggies, small sweet potato, apple

M2: tilapia, roasted veggies, strawberries

M3: grilled chicken, roasted veggies

Going to go home and do some more prepping so that I'm not caught off guard like yesterday. I also need to throw an emergency bag of nuts and such into my bag in case I run into the problem I did yesterday. A hungry lady is nothing to mess with! Have a great night (and for those across the globe, an amazing day!) 

We've got this!! :)

Am I missing something?  It seems I am supposed to feel bad?   Am I doing it wrong????

Help!!!

I think it depends on how you ate before you started. I feel amazing right now, just a little hungry as I adjust to not shoving Easter chocolate into my mouth. But overall, if you feel good, be glad!

Last night was my first solid sleep (i.e. no waking up at 4am to use the washroom) -- I always sleep like a baby on the W30. One of the best benefits. Anyone else getting some great sleep?

End of day 4, first day I have felt good enough to work out and enjoy it. No headaches, no cravings, everything seems great! Now just making sure we keep up the food prep in advance so there are no hiccups!

MMF3759, I don't think you are doing it wrong. Everyone's W30 journey is different, we each had different starting points, different lifestyles, some have health issues, some do not. It could be as you have said your diet was not the best but not too bad before starting this round of W30. Keep up the good work and don't sweat that you are not experiencing symptoms like some of us. Feeling good is awesome!

Now for some sleep, goodnight everyone!

Good evening everyone! Just getting ready to go to sleep and my stomach is growling. I'm having a hard time not eating after dinner. I try not to eat until at least 6 so it will last me until bed but every day I am still hungry. Tonight was especially hard becausw it's my usual "watch Grey's Anatomy with a glass of wine night". Ended up not even being on though so that was probably a blessing in disguise! I tried some salmon cakes tonight that turned out really well and also tried red chard for the first time ever. Didn't love it but not bad.

Tomorrow will be tough. Every 2nd weekend i have to drive 7 hours to pick up my step-daughters and now I have to do it without snacks!!!! This three meal a day thing is proving to be the hardest part for me. It's going to be a long drive.

Oh and I also had a crazy dream the other night that I kept eating non compliant foods and had to keep spitting them out everywhere!

Sweet dreams everyone :)

Happy Friday and Day 5 to all!!!

Jmb7  Aaahh, the dreaded Thursday night Wine night.  My favorite show to go with a glass of wine is Scandal.  I have it on DVR for tonight and am not sure how much I will hate watching Olivia drink a tall glass of red wine without me.

The weekends are my downfall.  I can eat great all week but Friday nights it all goes out the window until Monday morning.  Hence the reason for my second W30.  Eating good Mon - Thur worked in my 20s but now I am in my 40s and that just doesn't cut it anymore.  So, I have plenty of good food in the house, no wine and some new recipes I want to give a try.

I am also exercising this time around.  I was a little too nervous the first time.  I exercise only semi-regulary any way and the change in eating and the adjustment period of my moods and energy levels made exercising seem daunting.  This round though, I have not experienced the tiredness and am actually feeling quite well for day 5 (I am drinking black coffee - a result of my first W30 - no more cream/splenda).

I hope everyone makes it through their first weekend successfully and stays on track.   These 30 days can be life changing as long as you make it through - I promise it's worth it!!!

mmf3759 - I'm feeling pretty good myself.  Lot better mood than I've been in for a long time and more steady and even all through the day.  :) All good eh. Hope it keeps up.  I do get a little "light headed" such as right now and I've been waking up with a slight headache but nothing I can't cope with. 

I presume you mean Sweet potato when you say grilled potatoes ? 

jmb7 - Thats a long drive  :o ! oh wow. 

Hey ! Day 5 ! This is an achievement for me I'm ashamed to admit. lol 

Have a good one everyone.

Hi I started my Whole30 on the 6th and so far so good, I am even learning to love black coffee!  I had been gluten free for 2 years and then I started working at Whole Foods in their bakery.  I started to cheat here and there so I decided to do a green smoothie cleanse in January.  I think all the fruit in the smoothies made it difficult to have success after the cleanse.  Anyway, I finally got fed up with feeling crappy and decided to do this program as I plan on going grain free anyway.  I am feeling really great and actually enjoy eating this way.  I am a recovering addict and ex-smoker and also gave up a 25 year toxic relationship so I really don't find this all that difficult.  Not to say that it is easy, I am sure I will have my days where those donuts and cookies look like heaven to me but just as when I finally got and stayed clean I am ready to commit and remove sugar from my life.  I feel like it is just one more drug that I use to deal with uncomfortable emotions.

I started running after getting clean and I loved it but due to several nagging injuries I have not been able to be consistent with it lately.  I am joining my local Y today and signing up for adult swim lessons and whatever else I can do that is low impact!  

I am excited to be on this journey and hope to find a sense of community here to help me succeed at this new way of eating and living.  

Yay for day 5 and avoiding 5 work days of goodies on the office treats table! (Today is Girl Guide cookies)

I've decided to take advantage of this month of awesome eating and really push hard with my strength training. I'm hoping to see some good results and am happily embracing the extra sweet potatoes and other starches to fuel my workouts. 

Wishing everyone a wonderful, compliant weekend :)

• Administrators

Ok...I think I must be missing something...I don't feel bad??? I feel pretty normal.  I felt a little tired yesterday (Day 3) and didn't run yesterday morning but now I feel fine.  Am I eating too much?

Breakfast:  3 egg omelette with veggies (onions, peppers, spinach) and some air-cured proscuitto for flavor (no additives...) 

Lunch:  Chicken breast, green beans and few grilled potatoes and a few apple slices

Some sunflowers seeds and 10 almonds this afternoon while working

I'm running again, but not as "fast" as I would like....drinking a lot of water.  Im running about 16-20 miles per week and doing trainer with weights and a bit of golf on the side (but in a cart!)

Help!!!

Just because you're not feeling awful doesn't mean you're doing it wrong, consider yourself lucky!  And you are actually eating per the template which doesn't always happen with new people but which goes a LONG way in not feeling poopy.

You're not at all eating too much, it sounds about right....except that if the almonds were because you were hungry, you should have added fat to your lunch.  If you'd thrown some avocado or some olives onto your plate, that meal probably would have taken you 4-5 hours.  

If you are hungry between meals, try to make what you eat a mini-meal composed of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.  

Sorry for the delay in response!

way to go everyone!  It is so nice to read what others are going through.   I am feeling the need for nuts, it comes everytime I think about palo ways of eating.   I also caught a cold this week, I have heard about the carb flu/ and detox process.  Anyone else have a cold/ congestion?

Weekend is coming, and that means I will be faced with wine and desserts at parties.  I am ready to stay strong!!

I love the sweet potato breakfast casserole recipes, thank you for sharing everyone!

Happy Day 5!

Looks like everyone is hanging in there! I've been feeling better and better each day, and get excited for making and trying new recipes! My poor roommate, haha is been smelling like onions and garlic in our apartment for the past few days. 

Today I was a little worried for work because we had plans to go to a Mexican restaurant for a co-worker's birthday,but I stuck to my guns and ordered steak and chicken fajitas no beans, no rice, and extra guacamole. I was a little sad I had to skip on the cheese and handmade tortillas, but feeling super proud. 

4953642218_success_kid_answer_1_xlarge.j

Happy day 6!  Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I had an egg scramble at work this morning, avoiding yet another pancake breakfast, and although they looked and smelled good, I really don't miss them...well at least I don't miss how they make me feel. I just have to remember that pancakes was one of many reasons why I am in as bad a shape as I am now.

Sailorlawrence, my wife and I are planning on compliant fajitas this Sunday! We love them!

So far so good!

Hey everyone!

Good morning and happy day 6 from England, the weather has been gorgeous here so last night I got the BBQ out (and by that I mean I bought a £2 disposable one because what student actually owns a BBQ?!) and made these burgers for dinner

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/beef/avocado-stuffed-burger/

Ive made them before but in a normal grill, on the BBQ they were even better, couldn't recommend them more!

All going well, no sign of the horrible mood I encountered last time round and my skin is already thanking me for the proper nutrition, looking forward to the deep sleep that I'm sure will appear next week :)

The off plan dreams have started though, I was eating Vimto bonbons and had convinced myself that it didn't count 'cause it was nighttime! Woke up in a panic!

Hope you all have lovely weekends!

Archived