Starting April 6th

Ajamay

Day 9!

I almost gave up today! I am on jury duty all week and it has been a tremendous challenge eating compliant. I have been settling for hard boiled eggs, but today for lunch we got to leave and I had a tortilla-less fajitas, very good! This trial will last at least this week, been stressful... Oh yeah, the bags of candy and boxes of donuts in the jurors chamber does not help much! Luckily they had some fruit ( and I had my own almonds).

Hope everyone is doing well!

That does sound challenging! And here I was worried about being out of town tomorrow for a measly one-day business trip! Way to hang in there!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I am so sick of roasted veggies that I can't even stand the sight of them. Time for me to change up what I'm eating, since the veggies are the hardest for me anyway. Does anyone have any great veggie recipes that don't involve roasting them? Please . . . I'm desperate here! :)

I apologize if this post shows up twice.

Sorry for the delayed response to your question about great veggie recipes.

I HATE roasted veggies!  :angry:

One of my favorite veggie recipes is slow cooker sweet potato basil soup from PaleOMG (http://paleomg.com/sweet-potato-basil-soup/).  The recipe calls for sweet potatoes, but the photos of the soup are yellow/orange in color (like a garnet yam, so that's what I use). 

I make it at least two times a month and love to add cut up compliant bacon or kalua pork from Nom Nom Paleo  (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig).

Sooooooooooooooo yummy!

Well, today is Day 10 and so far so good but I woke up last night 3x STARVING and didn't know what to do???

I had some brisket and asparagus for dinner and chicken stir fry for lunch so I don't know what was going on?

I am having a hard time running at all...no energy to run but have regular energy (i.e., lots of work at the office and around the house is fine)

I am worried that I will be so out of shape when this portion is over that I will not be ready for my marathon in October.....I am eating sweet potatos....

Suggestions??

BUT, I fit into a pair of pants that I couldnt even get over my thighs 2 weeks ago!!!

• Administrators

Well, today is Day 10 and so far so good but I woke up last night 3x STARVING and didn't know what to do???

I had some brisket and asparagus for dinner and chicken stir fry for lunch so I don't know what was going on?

I am having a hard time running at all...no energy to run but have regular energy (i.e., lots of work at the office and around the house is fine)

I am worried that I will be so out of shape when this portion is over that I will not be ready for my marathon in October.....I am eating sweet potatos....

Suggestions??

BUT, I fit into a pair of pants that I couldnt even get over my thighs 2 weeks ago!!!

Was your breakfast small? If your breakfast is too small it can have consequences well into the evening...it's actually very hard to make up for a small breakfast later in the day.

Like others the last two days have been very tough for me - I even had dreams that I ate a bowlful of rice!   I have had to eat my meals on the road and when I eat out of containers I am not as satisfied and it leaves me searching for more.  Today I have had more carrots and sweet potatoes than usual, it was that or I might have lots it into a bag of chips or something.

I agree with ladyshandy that a small breakfast creates killer cravings in the evening.

I definitely have fewer sugar cravings which is really nice, I am still really missing crunchy foods.

Right now I have mirepoix chicken in the crock pot, I will have that with potatoes tonight.

Hey everyone...been swamped at work...took a bunch of 7th graders on an overnight and was able to stay W30...but even after a couple of days back, I am exhausted.  Will probably hit the sack before 8pm tonight.  Sigh.  Schedule is full, but feels crazy busy with organizing the menu.  Glad I spent some extra time planning meals last week, or I'd be in trouble!  

Day 10 successes:  This time around I've been much better about snacking.  I've avoided nuts, and I haven't even made coffee creamer with dates - just plain ole coconut milk.  Wasn't sure how that would go down, but I feel pretty calm (not hangry, as of yet!).

Day 10 struggles:  I am not getting the deep sleep I am accustomed to. Usually get a  solid 8 hours.  Not sure why, but since eW30, I usually wake around 1 or 2, and never really fall back into a deep sleep.  Super frustrating. Any tips?

Hi everyone

Sorry crisbran, Can help you with the lack of sleep. I hope it improves for you soon.  I have a herbal tea I take which has Valerian, rose, licorice not sure if anything else. It's a " relaxing tea " and has helped me in the past.

Well done on avoiding nuts. Creamer with dates ? never heard of that but well done for avoiding it too. lol

Amy - Sorry it's been hard for you the last few days  (anyone else too ) 

I have to say I went to the supermarket yesterday evening. I was hungry and I was drooling over everything I shouldn't. I managed to walk out with just the eggs and carrots I went in for but it was hard going. 

mmf - Hope you  feel more energetic soon. Yay you on the jeans  :)

Myself, I'm feeling pretty good today and slim which feels quite nice. 

Have a good day everyone. 

xx

Crisbryan - to help with sleep I love Natural Calm, but you have to watch out to see how it affects your system, magnesium has a major laxitavie effect.  I also take a very small amount of melatonin when I know my mind is racing.  Also, check to see if you have a light or alarm that might be coming on at that time that is waking you up.    Good work on avoiding nuts, they are my down fall on Whole30, I have not had them in months, but the moment I start I go to them.  I need to cut them out, I will finish what I have and buy no more.

Char - thank you for the spaghetti pie recipe, that looks right up my alley!

Chati - nice job making it through the grocery!

Day 11 - going strong - usually by day 14 it get "easier" waiting for that

Whats wrong with nuts???   I am having some in the afternoon about the time I start getting "hangry" and they are tiding me  over until we eat dinner which can be late with teenagers....

Not having too many cravings, as I thought it would be sugar but it's WINE!!!  I am missing my wine pretty bad...

Whats wrong with nuts???   I am having some in the afternoon about the time I start getting "hangry" and they are tiding me  over until we eat dinner which can be late with teenagers....

Not having too many cravings, as I thought it would be sugar but it's WINE!!!  I am missing my wine pretty bad...

Nuts are a source of fat, and don't constitute a meal according to the template. I was also eating nuts as a snack for a while, but we're encouraged to eat a mini-meal, complete with carbs, protein, and fat, if we're hungry between meals. E.g. a boiled egg and some veggies works well for a mini-meal.

I just eat too many of them - without being associated with meals!

Crisbryan - to help with sleep I love Natural Calm, but you have to watch out to see how it affects your system, magnesium has a major laxitavie effect.  I also take a very small amount of melatonin when I know my mind is racing. 

Thanks for the tip, whole amy...and I like seeing your tag line when you post.  I agree!

Happy Day 11!

I am attributing the pretty good feeling I've had the past 10 days to the fact that this is my second W30.  I got back into the swing of things pretty quickly and have also seen some quick results in how my clothes are fitting.  So, what was I thinking last night?  "I've got this, I've seen some results , maybe I don't need another W30 maybe just a W10."  So typical, as soon as I see some results I think OK, I can keep this going even with a little reward (a.k.a. a glass of wine, or 2).  Thank God I was able to remind myself that this is how I got here in the first place and I decided to stay on track!  Whew! Keep Calm and W30 On!!! :)

I went out after eating my lunch, walked 15 minutes to the nearest drugstore, and when I got there found myself hunting around for Lara Bars. They didn't carry them (thank goodness), but I'm realizing this sugar dragon is still lurking more than I have been acknowledging. Admitting the problem is the first step, right?  ;)

I am struggling with PMS sugar cravings and have eaten too many dates!  It doesn't help that I work in a bakery and was up at 3:30 a.m. and making donuts at 5.  I read some posts on upping starchy carbs during this time so I just need to get through tonight and restock my fridge tomorrow as I am out of pretty much everything.  I suppose that is good in that I can't go berzerk eating a bunch of fruit.  I also have been hitting the walnuts too hard as I discovered that eating a date and a walnut together tastes delicious.  Yikes!  I am trying so hard not to get off track but feel like I already did.  If I can get through tonight then I think I will be ok :wacko:

I went out after eating my lunch, walked 15 minutes to the nearest drugstore, and when I got there found myself hunting around for Lara Bars. They didn't carry them (thank goodness), but I'm realizing this sugar dragon is still lurking more than I have been acknowledging. Admitting the problem is the first step, right? ;)[/quo

KayKay, I feel your pain. Lara Bars are my enemy! I had one for the first time a couple of days ago and immediately wanted another one! I'm definitely going to need to stay away from them for now!

Hey all...happy day 11! Feeling pretty good today, not feeling hangry or grumpy at all. My problem now is that I'm finding that I'm not hungry at all. I have to literally remind myself to eat, and I feel like when I do eat that I'm stuffing myself. I'm following the template exactly but feel like there's just too much food. Is it okay to cut back on the amount of food I'm eating? For example, for dinner tonight I had a small sweet potato sauteed in a little ghee, three scrambled eggs (based on how many I can hold, should have had four) with onions, spinach and tomatoes, and a half cup of strawberries. I couldn't finish the eggs.

My family had pizza tonight and it didn't faze me at all, so I know something is working!

Happy day 12! I finally got around to making a breakfast casserole last night so that I wasn't standing over the stove every morning cooking eggs - and I had so much free time last this morning! And, I didn't have to think about about what I was going to make. Why don't I do this all the time?

I made this one with turkey sausage, and also added mushrooms. Two thumbs up! http://www.katrina-runs.com/paleo-breakfast-on-the-go

Have a great (and compliant) Friday, everyone!

I am struggling with PMS sugar cravings and have eaten too many dates!  It doesn't help that I work in a bakery and was up at 3:30 a.m. and making donuts at 5.  I read some posts on upping starchy carbs during this time so I just need to get through tonight and restock my fridge tomorrow as I am out of pretty much everything.  I suppose that is good in that I can't go berzerk eating a bunch of fruit.  I also have been hitting the walnuts too hard as I discovered that eating a date and a walnut together tastes delicious.  Yikes!  I am trying so hard not to get off track but feel like I already did.  If I can get through tonight then I think I will be ok :wacko:

The fact that you can work in a bakery and stay on track at all is amazing to me! Way to go.

Happy Day 12 and Happy Friday!

Here we ago, another weekend which would usually involve some wine and big time off roading.  So, I am telling myself that this is not a "special" weekend.  In fact it couldn't be any less, just another weekend.  This is how I plan to approach wine and off roading in the future so that I don't end up here again.

That being said, the larabars?  Are they the sugar dragon or are we still rewarding ourselves with food?  Or is it one in the same.  Maybe we just need to change the reward for our new behaviors.  Although, I still remember my first one!

And speaking of lack of hunger.  I have found myself not hungry at all a few times this week at lunch.  I just ate until I was satisfied and saved the rest in case of emergency (which didn't happen).  That's an interesting feeling.  And what is this fear of being hungry?  Too much deprivation dieting I would assume.

Hope to see everyone on Monday which will be Day 15!  The half way point! :)

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the recipes last week, the Chili is one of my solid favourites, and I've had sweet potato hash a good few times for breakfast!

I don't know where to get a hold of spaghetti squash in the UK though, so if any fellow UK whole 30ers know, Id be grateful!

This week has been much harder than the last, I was starting to think that the second time round was going to be "easy" but I was wrong! Temptation appears to have been round every corner.

My biggest issue, though, is staying within the meal templates: I want more than we're supposed to have.

I suspect my massive appetite is more to do with the time of the month than anything else but I'm finding myself wanting much more than recommended, and I'm only a small person! (Although luckily at 5"3 I have GIANT hands so can hold 5 eggs....so yeah, that's how I've been justifying my 5 egg omelettes..oops)

I really want to see some physical results at the end of this process, less so in the form of weight, but in body fat % (which for my job I get measured roughly once a month) and I'm worried that if I keep eating so much that won't happen! 

So my big goal for the coming week is to stick to the meal template. A secondary goal is to get to bed at the same time each night, as better sleep was my favourite result from my last whole30 and I'd like to speed up the process of seeing that again!

Anybody else got any revised mini-goals for the week?

ps well done for making it 2 weeks!

Archived