Are pre and post workout mini-meals adding on too many calories?

I typically eat a HB egg or some chicken breast and either a quarter avacado or some coconut oil in my coffee pre workout.

I do this because

#1- I'm usually starving pre wo at around 5:30 am

#2-I don't want to eat M1 until about 8:30 am

M1 is a full breakfast of 3 eggs and vegatables and a quarter avacado

M2 is a large salad w nuts,( around 10) chicken (3 oz) and a whole egg and a quarter avacado and home made ceaser dressing made w mayo

M3 protein and vegs cooked in olive oil.

Sometimes I have a mini meal snack around 3:30 of protein, avacado and some roasted vegs

I'm only 5'3 and only have about 10 pounds to lose. Am I eating too much??

I know all about the non-scale victories, but it would be nice to see some weight loss during this 30 days. I am on day 23.

I am still confused as to how a 6 ft tall 200 pound man has the same template as a 5'3 125 pound woman?!?

Thanks for your feed back!

um, first of all, you don't "have 10 lbs to lose". 5'3" and 125 is perfectly healthy. Secondly, the meal template adjusts to your size quite efficiently by keying to the size of your palm. Is your palm the same size as a 6' tall 200lb man? I doubt it.

Relax and give your body the nutrition it needs to thrive.

EDIT: to be clear. It's ok to be dissatisfied with your body, you might in fact desire to be thinner, but I would encourage you to consider the possibility that this desire is not based on getting healthy and feeling good but instead a response to social pressure. You are good enough right now. If you want to change your appearance, my guess is gaining strength and working on body composition (gaining more muscle/possibly losing some fat) would have more impact on your appearance than just plain getting smaller.

It's more about looking and feeling good ( to myself!) in my clothes and losing my stomach. It has nothing to do w anyone else but myself and the way I feel when I'm a few pounds lighter.

I've been eating similar to the whole 30 diet for over a year now (basically paleo w dairy).

I do feel fit. I've never had my body fat % measured though.

It has nothing to do w social pressure. I do consider myself very healthy and feel really good overall!

• Moderators

You are definitely not eating too much. People who exercise need more nutrition than people who don't. And the meal plan is perfectly customized on this point. You eat a pre-and post-workout meal on days you workout. You don't eat "bonus" meals on days you don't workout. 

Don't fool yourself that you are untouched by social pressure. Our vision of our ideal self is conditioned by the culture we live in. We are so deeply conditioned by our culture that we claim the vision we have as our own when in fact it is highly dependent upon the images and values promoted by our culture. I love the idea of being tough minded and independent. If you spend time around me, you will clearly get the idea that I am fearless and cut my own path with little regard for what others think. However, I know that the values and ideals of everyone around me has soaked into my life in ways I often don't notice. 

I started to notice the culture thing when I got into Iyengar yoga and noticed that the ideal of the community was represented by an old man with a prominent, paunchy gut and a celebrated senior teacher was a decidedly heavy middle aged woman. My teacher explained that the culture of Pune, India is very different than the culture of the United States and Europe. Adopting a new culture is a process that occurs over time, not through a single decision. And we let go of old values as new values take their place often over years. I have been chagrined more than once to find I am still letting go of old values and adopting new ones 20 years after I began some cultural shifts. 

It's more about looking and feeling good ( to myself!) in my clothes and losing my stomach. It has nothing to do w anyone else but myself and the way I feel when I'm a few pounds lighter.

I feel where you're coming from -- when I'm not doing a W30, I track and weigh, because I have appearance and performance goals that simply won't happen otherwise. I use the 30 days as a habit tune-up and to realign myself with good dietary principles. That's why the "ride your own bike" principle exists and it's a Whole30 not a WholeLife.

Also recall that the meal template is variable based on palm size *and* quantities -- 1-2 palms, thumbs, etc.

I plan on doing the whole 30 again when this one is finished. I'm working on breaking my habit of heading right to the kitchen upon my arrival home from work or just a day of shopping. I am proud of myself though when I think back to what I used to do which was head right to the ice cream after a night out to dinner. I barely think about eating deserts anymore. I do miss a DQ blizzard once in a while. I don't have sweet cravings anymore, but I think I would still enjoy a bowl of ice cream w whipped cream or a brownie.

Now I splurge on too many roasted brussels sprouts, avacado or salmon!!

Archived