Yeast Infection

fitmama23

Ugh. I never get these. Ever! But starting Tuesday afternoon I started feeling itchy. No pain, just itch. I've also been dealing with a bladder prolapse and going to physical therapy for it and doing exercises at home. I didn't have a doctor officially diagnose it as a yeast infection but I feel confident that's what it is. I've really been trying to clean up my diet so this is a bit discouraging. I was wondering if maybe I've been eating too much fruit? I may have 1/2 to a whole banana in the morning, apple at work, some grapes later? I also eat sweet potato and other starchy carbs.

Part of my discouragement is that I haven't ovulated this month (getting ready to try to conceive in a few months) and I feel like my hormones are off. I was reading last night that adding some more starchy carbs back in might help, even white rice. I saw a naturopath a week ago who gave me a Rx for Nystatin to take for 3 weeks and I just got that filled this morning. I wasn't sure if I was going to take it but now with the infection thing I figured this might kill two birds with one stone. He is big on the whole Candida thing even though the blood test they did didn't show gross overgrowth of it.

Could the infection just be a fluke or is it always diet related? I want to bump up my carb intake if it being lowered is what is throwing my hormones off. I haven't tried to lower the carbs, it's probably just happened.

Thoughts??

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you. But wanted to add that, after years (like more than 10!) of no yeast infections, I got one my second week into my Whole30. Weird. I was definitely eating less sweet things than before my Whole30, so doens't make sense! Unless giving up dairy like yogurt and hard cheeses could have something to do with it?

After a lot of googling, I decided not to treat mine, except for a few natural remedies I tried, and then it cleared up when my period came, which I also had read would happen. Mine was mild though. If it was really bad, I would have gone to the drug store for something.

Maybe someone from the Whole 30 team can confirm this; I think having yeast infections during the whole 30 is normal. While I was another diet recommended by my naturopath I got a yeast infection and was told it is the Candida dying off. While you are trying to heal, it is trying to make one last attempt at saving its comfy home. I am having the same symptoms now. Hoping that if I stick it out for the whole30, I will have killed off those yeasty beasts.

@fitmama23 - are you on a whole30 right now?

I wouldn't say getting a yeast infection while on the whole30 is "normal" but there is something to be said about the Candida flaring up if you tend to yo-yo with your food selection. I would limit fruit and high starch consumption until it clears up. Then moderate intake from there. Start small, 1 to 2 servings a day.

I'll probably be the voice of dissent here, but I'd forget 3 weeks of nystatin and get a two day diflucan and be done with it. There's a time and a place for natural cures but being itchy crotch lady is where I draw the line.

You can always eat some probiotics and sauerkraut to work on your digestion. Just my $.02. Good luck!

Thanks ladies. No, I am not doing a Whole 30 right now. I did go back to the doctor and had a positive strep test yesterday. :( So that plus the infection: not fun! The itching seems to be getting a little less. They gave me a shot for the strep and I'm continuing with the Nystatin. I'm also been using some probiotic powder and am going to buy a stronger one next week.

I just posted in the Medical Issues forum about my blood work from this same doctor...it seems my system is just shot right now!

Well, it turns out the yeast infection was actually only protein in my urine. Now I'm wondering what caused it...the bladder prolapse/cystocele I'm dealing with, the candida die off from Nystatin, or something else...who knows. I also had high protein in my urine at the end of my 1st pregnancy.

Craziness.

• 11 months later...

I don't know if diet really matter or not, but I've noticed is that yeast infection goes away after you stop to use soap, or regular shower gel, use only intimate shower gels that are meant for that area only. Aloe vera is good natural antibacterial, here is the article about aloe vera for fungus candida. Scented pads can also cause yeast infection so is better not to use them.

A few years ago, I had one...I ate sugar too much..that caused me got yeast infection. a few year later, my private area is clean because I been less eat sugar and no itch  that I ate yogurt that helped me alot and much better after 2-3 years. Now I am on day 15 and I feel no itch. I couldn't eat sugar anymore. Fruits is ok.

I used to have chronic yeast infections from age 15-18 (candida overgrowth)It was terrible! But this past year I haven't had one. I am in my first week of the whole 30 (day 6) and I have the worst yeast infection ever!! I haven't had one in a whole year! I am just thinking that since I'm not eating bad anymore it's just working itself out! I'm so glad to have found this forum because I thought I was going nuts but it looks like I'm not the only one!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got one too after 2nd week of Whole30. Did the drug store thing, then period came 3 days later. All gone, was feeling great, and then had an appendicitis attack and had emergency surgery! Stayed on Whole 30 during the pain, throwing up and hospital stay. Am on day 28. Not feeling terrible but no tiger blood thanks to the laparoscopic surgery and meds. Anyone have Appendectomy while on Whole 30?

• 4 weeks later...

For future reference...awesome home remedy for yeast infections. Buy 100% pure aloe vera juice, pour some in a bowl. Take the tampon out of the applicator and put it in the juice. It soaks it up very fast. Insert it for a few hours, repeat a few days later. It is super soothing and takes care of the infection. As with most natural remedies, it works best if you catch the infection early.

I got one too after 2nd week of Whole30. Did the drug store thing, then period came 3 days later. All gone, was feeling great, and then had an appendicitis attack and had emergency surgery! Stayed on Whole 30 during the pain, throwing up and hospital stay. Am on day 28. Not feeling terrible but no tiger blood thanks to the laparoscopic surgery and meds. Anyone have Appendectomy while on Whole 30?

Archived