How bad is "less than 0.5%?"

jviher

Hi there!

I was looking at Sambazon Acaí puree smoothie packs online. Organic, Fair Trade, no added sugar. Being the ingredient-reading Nazi that I have become, of course I was thrown when they mentioned that it contained "less than 0.5% of soy lecithin." For the purposes of the Whole30, perhaps this is just a no-brainer. Small percentage or large, if it's listed at all, it's out this month. But I'm just curious how wary one should be of these teeny percentages of not-so-good stuff... and why would something "organic" contain them? What purpose does that 0.5% serve, if any?

You should know: I'm totally of the understanding that smoothies are not the ideal way to get your fruits, and 90% of the time I'm gobbling down the actual fruit instead. But, I was interested in making homemade, Whole30 compliant acaí bowls - a healthy treat that I look forward to in warmer weather, in which the "smoothie" is just part of the whole. 

And, I'm on Day 13 of my Whole30, and totally loving it! 

The rule on soy is black and white. None, in any amount, is permitted on a Whole30.  You'd need to check with the manufacturer on why they chose to include it.

On another note, I'm not convinced an acai bowl is an optimal choice while on a Whole30, being so fruit-heavy.  On a Whole30, fruit is optional. If you're going to have it, the recommendation is 1-2 servings of whole fruit daily, where a serving is the size of your fist, and have fruit with or immediately after your main meals only.  

For best results, create your meals to fit the recommended meal template of protein, veg and fat. 

In addition to understanding the rules, as Chris mentioned above, I would also add that a small percentage of soy lecithin is still significant. You won't ever see large amounts of this ingredient, but it is a serious gut disrupter even when amounts are very small. Personally I make a point to avoid soy lecithin even when I'm not doing a whole30.

Archived