Whole90 starting on April 4th!

EggsAndBacon

I did a whole30 back in January and, while I loved the focus in real whole food, and the discipline of the approach, I really felt like 30 days wasn't long enough to get the results I wanted and really slay my sugar-dragon!!

So next Saturday I'm going to start a whole90. My hope is that by sticking to the reset for 90 days, and cutting out dried fruit and nut butters ( my "food without brakes") I can make some long-term sustainable changes in my relationship with food.

Wish me luck!!!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scottish-laura: It's funny that you posted this, I have just been telling myself the last few days that I HAVE to re-start the W30....I was doing the 'Whole 30 for Lent' thread, then I got sick and got derailed...and I'm just not ready to fly solo, so to speak. I need to do more work on the sugar thing as well, in addition to getting more skilled in the planning ahead for meals/cooking more creatively so I don't get so bored areas....I've done 1 complete W30 and several partial/almost. I'm pretty good about daily (or almost) posting and the accountability aspect has been REALLY helpful for me....looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi :-)

Thanks for your reply! I'm really excited about doing a Whole90... It feels as if I need the constraints of the plan to really see the benefits. When I did the W30 in January I was mindful of my dried fruit intake and didn't snack on it at all (it was one of my rules) but since then I've been pretty good about not eating refined sugar but I'm a total fiend for "natural sugars"... I could easily eat a pack of medjool dates, or a whole pineapple in one day!!! So I will be restricting myself to a maximum of one piece of fresh fruit per day and no dried fruit at all! It's the only way to wean myself off the sugar!

Oh gosh: that's so funny. Medjool dates are my nemesis too! I keep them around, because I use them when I'm riding bikes for easy on-board fuel, but I LOOOOVEE them and agree-2 days and the box is gone! I keep them in the freezer now, and take out what I need for riding. That helps me stay out of them.

It is really hard for me to end a meal without something sweet-fruit or dried fruit, or in the past, coffee with cream and sugar. My goal is learning to get up and leave the table and not sit there munching on whatever, because I'm looking for that sugar kick.

I know from experience that I see the benefits of this program the most when I stay fairly close to the fat/protein/vegetable side of things, use starchy veggies in moderation, and stay away from other sweet stuff, unless I'm riding. Of course that's vastly easier said than done!!

I'm on the 'starting March 30th' thread as well, because I figure I can use the boost, and hey, lets admit it, there aren't going to be as many joining a W90 thread :) I will post my meals, if that's OK, because it helps me stay focused and also helps me notice when I'm in a rut-eating roast 7 times a week etc.

M1: 2 or 3 eggs and guac

M2: Peppers stuffed with guac and taco meat and green salad

M3: Spaghetti squash and marinara sauce and green salad

Hi Scottish-Laura and stravajunkie:

Count me in!!!!!

My 1st Whole30 began on March 1st, 2015 and ended March 30, 2015 (well not really)....

I decided to continue for another 30 days with a start date of March 31, 2015 (no re-intro period).

We can do 90 days... Yes we can... Whoop Whoop....  :D  :D  :D

SIDE NOTE:  I was part of another post and a few more people from that post will be joining you on this Whole90 quest.

I will be eating fruit only on the days that I strength train or at least that's my story right now....  :wacko:  :)

I look forward to the company.....

Hello everyone!!!!  I as well as claws just finished  30 days. However, I need to continue . I am not going  to re-introduce new food while waiting for April 4th. I really enjoy eating this way, and need to make this my primary plan. Once the 90 days are over, I will add a deviation only when needed!!! ex. glass of wine when out to dinner, or a homemade desert, and then back on the plan!!! But that is not until the 90 days are over. 

We will rock this!!! So far everyone on here has done a whole 30, so we know that planning is everything!!! I noticed that everyone also does some sort of workout, PLEASE!!!!! If you don't mind I will be adding my workouts I really need the accountability!!! No slacking here!!! 

Thanks again, I need the support!! Debbie

Hello everyone !  I am starting (again) today !  I officially started on Feb 23rd, but, well, had a few slip ups.  I have yet to do a whole 30 in a row.  Having said that, I may need to start again after camping this weekend, that way I can relax and not drive my family crazy !  I am feeling great after my pseudo-whole30, and plan to continue to eat this way, with an occasional sidetrack, as needed.  But, come Monday !  I don't plan on ANY slips for at least the next 30 days.  I do know that when you start over, if you have been eating pretty well like this ahead of time, you don't go through the withdrawals like you do at first.  No aches and pains,no grumpiness, but I definitely noticed not feeling that well whenever I made the occasional slip.  It is easy to get back into it.  I LOVE the food, and even the preparation is coming naturally to me now.  This is the month I turn 50 !!!  And my hot flashes are completely gone !  I just noticed today that my clothes feel a little looser.  I plan to do a weigh in Monday morning, but I don't expect a major weight loss.  Not yet (I'm slooowww) but soon.  I also plan to incorporate more exercise, which has thus far eluded me.  Good luck to all !  We can do this !

Awesome guys (gals. whatever)!

I'm glad it looks like we'll have some activity here. I plan to post my meals and how I followed them, and I like the idea of workouts, glad to see there are some people here who are into working out. I'm a cyclist (gravel/off road, some pavement) and am trying to balance this with ride fueling which has been an interesting challenge. I'm out of time this AM but will try to hop back on here to post meals/workout for today. Best of luck!

Isn't it funny how people (us, and I guess most others) do whole30, feel fab but then things slip??? I guess that's real life and to be expected!! W30 didn't go the way I'd planned really as I expected to miss dairy, but I really didn't! However that was the one thing that, on reintroduction, I found my body reacting to... It's also the one thing that I've found so hard to stay away from. I just love a proper cup of tea and that, to me, needs cows milk. Anyway, 90 days ought to be long enough to get me used to having it without dairy!!!

Claws - so one of your rules will be fruit only when you've strength trained? I'll be allowing myself sweet potato or a banana on the days I work out.... That's enough of an incentive to get me to my kettlebells class!!!!!

I was running and strength training with Kettlebells twice a week but had to stop 6 weeks ago due to a hip problem (caused by running). It's taking a LONG time to heal but I'm getting there. No more running for me but I am slowly getting back to my class once a week, and hoping to introduce a second class per week soon. Yes, accountability for exercise would be appreciated too!!

Will post my W90 "rules" in the next couple of days :-)

Hello All! Hope I can join in the fun here! I just finished my 30 days yesterday and wasn't a part of any forum group for my W30.

I lost 9lbs and 5 inches, but don't feel like I'm ready yet for re-intro. I have some joint pain remaining and feel like I need more time to get a firm handle on my relationship with food.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all!

Good morning!

Yes, Scottishlaura, injury recovery always takes forever. I've always wanted to do a kettleball class, it seems like a great whole body workout. BUT-I have kids and with bike riding, I have no more formal exercise time :)

I like Claws' idea of rules/goals too. I will do some thinking. Mine needs to involve some at home ab work, I know that-If I actually HAVE any abs left-6 kids does not make for great core strength. Neither does riding.

Yesterday went pretty well, I followed my meal plan, with the exception of some dried fruit and nuts. I didn't overdo it, but I didn't need it either, and when I start down that road, the likelihood of slipping into eating half a tub of almonds is high. I need to limit nuts and nut butters to riding.

Today,

M1 2-3 eggs, guac

M2 Green salad with chicken/diced tomatoes

M3 Mixed steamed veggies with spaghetti and meatballs

Good morning everyone!!!  Well tomorrow (Sat.) is April 4th and our official start date!!  I am looking forward to it. I just finished my first 30 days and it went well. I did not introduce any foods yet. However, I went out to dinner the other night. This place is known for their steak burgers and fixings!!  I ordered the burger NO BUN, with sauteed onions, mushrooms, and a side salad. I was enjoying my company, conversations, and the yummy burger. I was down to my last bite and I realized they gave me onion straws not sauteed onions!!!!!  Onion straws are dipped in flour!!! I KNOW I have an issue with wheat. Boy was I pissed. First at them for getting my order wrong, and then myself for not checking first!!!!How easy it is to have something sneak in.

On the bright side, It happened after my 30 days otherwise I would be starting over!!!  and I did not have a reaction to it ( at least I didn't notice it). So tomorrow for me will be once again day 1. That is just fine because I know I have a good solid 90 days ahead!!!  Have a great day, Debbie

Debbie - ARGH! That's so annoying!! I would be really hacked off if that happened to me... Generally though, I do think being paleo and doing W30 in the US is so much easier than here in the UK. Here is really difficult to ask for something off-menu or be in any way "tricky" whereas, in my experience of the US at least, you're v much more customer focussed.

Ok, I can't put it off any longer..... My Whole90 rules -

- no sugar or sugar substitutes

- no alcohol

- no grains

- no dairy

- no legumes

- no processed nut or seed oils

Plus, for me...

- no nut butters (exception being as part of a recipe)

- no dried fruit (exception being in a small amount as part of a recipe eg homemade ketchup)

- one piece of fruit per day

...pressed post before I was finished!!

- my goal would be NO snacking... I'd really like to stop.. But I eat breakfast at 7am so get hungry for lunch around 12, and then it's a LONG time to wait for dinner at 7.30ish. I have been trying to eat dinner at 5.30 but this all depends on work and parenting commitments!!!!

That's all I think! Oh, any of you use MyPaleoPal? I've just signed up to get meal ideas and post my meals as a record this next 90 days. If you're on, look me up and follow me!!

Count me in too! I am starting my third round tomorrow, April 5th. My goal is also to extend for 60 or 90 days. My first two W30s were a success, but I slipped back into bad habits both times. I didn't lose any weight either time, but I didn't really care because I felt fantastic. I also have an auto-immune disease that flared at the end of both rounds. I'm not ready for AIP yet, but I'm going to limit red meat, eggs and nuts this time. And eliminate dried fruit completely. This time is for the win!

Good morning! And we are off...day 1.

.YAY! Because I just finished a 30 day cycle, I feel fantastic! I did not lose any weight. However, I am finally in control of my appetite and cravings. This is a first. I don't need to snack all day long. One of my goals this time is to stick with the template and make sure I am not eating too much. I want to start losing weight and inches.

My second goal is to put all of this added energy to use. I want to start my workout rotine. Weight train, cardio, and hot yoga. I am more concerned with building muscle, losing body fat, and gaining flexibility. I really don't care what the scale says. I have enjoyed not weighing myself daily!! Such freedom.

I am so glad that I don't miss sugar, wheat,dairy,beans,or grains. What I do miss is the occasional alcoholic drink, while out socializing. I love a good glass of red wine or a martini. Oh well, it is not forever.....only 90 days. My husband doesn't drink, so that makes it a little easier.

I wish everyone a happy, healthy, and active day!

Good morning and happy day 1!

Firstly, my goals:

1. No snacking. When I snack, I don't eat good meals. This has been my main issue so far with W30-I'm getting better, but I don't get the whole benefit because I don't eat template meals often enough, because I've munched on nuts or whatever, and so I'm not hungry, so I just eat a little salad or something, and I'm not getting quality protein and fat....or at least not enough....Plus, I really want the feeling of being a grown up who can eat three healthy meals a day, and not be grabbing and munching every time food passes in front of her. I'm so proud of myself, and feel so much better physically and emotionally when I manage it, and I want that #nonscalevictory consistently!

2. Try 1 new recipe/food weekly. Even I get tired of the monotony at times. Could be as simple as buying a different kind of veggie, or actually attempting a new recipe. I'm not strong on creativity because I cook almost everything from scratch anyway, for a large family, and I get tired of being in the kitchen. But I also get tired of eating the same things.

3. Post my meal 'plan' daily (hope you don't get too tired of this). This really helps me think through the schedule, where I'll be, what the options will be etc.

4. Do my core exercises 5 x a week. This is a very light core workout, I'm sure some of you crossfit chicks who do pull ups and burpees would smile, but for me (post 6 pregnancies) it's a place to start. And I need it. I'm a good climber as a cyclist, but I'm limited in my power primarily because of my weak core.

That's it :) And I'm going to post these so I can easily refer to them.

Todays meals:

M1 2 eggs/sweet potato (biggish gravel ride today, so I could use the extra carb boost)

M2 'taco' salad: taco meat, guac, tomatoes etc. etc.

M3 steak and mixed veggies.

Stravajunkie: I love seeing other peoples meal plans! Some of my best meals have come from seeing what others eat :-)

I'm loving the myPaleoPal app for that very reason.... Screens and screens of other people's meals.. And it's all paleo, or you can filter to only see whole30 food. It's really fab!!!

My day's been great! I've eaten the same things I'd usually have, but without the dried fruit and nuts... And haven't snacked at all!!! This is massive for me!

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!!!

So... Yesterday....

M1: veggie pancake (a regular favourite meal for me!) - masses of mixed veg (this one had 2 big handfuls kale, 2 handfuls spinach, grated courgette, grated carrot, onion, and fresh coriander) mixed up with 3 eggs, 3 tbsp coconut flour, 2 tbsp ground flaxseed, and seasoning. Serviced with a couple of big spoons of homemade coleslaw. Green tea.

M2: large bowl of salad, half an avocado, tin of sardines (in olive oil), with balsamic vinegar. Water.

M3: Large lamb leg steak, roasted veg (squash, courgette, aubergine, mushroom, pepper, and red onion) with Lebanese spice mix, steamed broccoli, and 2 tbsps homemade mayo. Water. Herbal tea.

Exercise: 30mins yoga on rising, 6km walk in the morning.

Today so far...

M1: leftover roast veg, 2 poached eggs, half an avocado. Green tea.

M2: large bowl of salad, with balsamic vinegar and tinned wild red salmon in 2tbsps homemade mayo

4pm snack: decaff espresso with boiling water and 1tbsp coconut cream (from a can)

M3 (in progress): BBQ! Grain-free organic ruby-veal burger, 2 chicken drumsticks, large salad and homemade ketchup.

Exercise: 30mins Kettlebells (forcing myself to take it easy after my injury.... This does not come naturally to me!!!!), family walk in the sunshine :-)

Roll on Day 3!!!!!

Happy Easter! Great job Scotish Laura. Yesterday was a little crazy for me. I did not have time to food shop and not much prepared. However, I made it work.

M1 2 eggs with spinach, coffee with coconut cream.

M2 chicken wings with an orange

M3 The remainder of the cHicken wings and broccoli.

Today we went out for Easter brunch. I was a little nervous because it was a buffet.

M1. Egg salad with homemade mayo, mixed greens, coffee with coconut cream.

M2. Brunch....lamb, turkey, roasted potatoes and vegetables. Tons of water.... for dessert, I had a plate of fruit

M3 not hungry, just some lemon water.

I almost gave in at dessert. There were so ooooo many to choose from. Everyone at my table had plates full of sugar! ! I am actually proud of myself.

Today I did my total body cardio dvd. I wish everyone a happy and healthy night.

Hello All! Hope I can join in the fun here! I just finished my 30 days yesterday and wasn't a part of any forum group for my W30.

I lost 9lbs and 5 inches, but don't feel like I'm ready yet for re-intro. I have some joint pain remaining and feel like I need more time to get a firm handle on my relationship with food.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all!

KBella: Welcome to the Whole90 group...Glad to have you aboard.  Keep up the good work.

...pressed post before I was finished!!

- my goal would be NO snacking... I'd really like to stop.. But I eat breakfast at 7am so get hungry for lunch around 12, and then it's a LONG time to wait for dinner at 7.30ish. I have been trying to eat dinner at 5.30 but this all depends on work and parenting commitments!!!!

That's all I think! Oh, any of you use MyPaleoPal? I've just signed up to get meal ideas and post my meals as a record this next 90 days. If you're on, look me up and follow me!!

Hi Scottish-Laura:  I'll check out "MyPaleoPal" first time I've heard of it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived