Sign in to follow this  
taraquint

Post-Workout Snack Examples?

Hi friends!  My husband and I are starting our first Whole30 on April 1st and we've been planning a lot, but there's one area I need some help in.  We normally do a small protein shake post-workout to recover & replenish, so I'm having a hard time figuring out some real food options for post-workout snacks.  I know they are supposed to be protein + carb, but I was wondering if I could get some examples from you lovely people on what your go-to post-workout snacks are for recovery! 

We do CrossFit, so any of my fellow WOD-lovers, feel free to weigh in :)

This has been discussed extensively on the forum in the past. Just search the Whole30 for athletes forum and you'll get a boatload of answers.   You could also google Whole30 post workout and get links to past discussions on the forum. (easiest way to search the forum is via google).

One of the more popular post workout options is chicken and sweet potato.

Some Lean Protein options:

Skinless Poultry White meat

Tuna (if it's canned make sure it's water-packed - and compliant of course)

Whitefish

Egg Whites

Some Starchy Vegetable options:

Potatoes (white or sweet)

Butternut Squash

Pumpkin

Parsnips

Beets

Taro

Cassava

So just mix and match one from each list and you are good :)

I'm a runner, and I'm on day 6!  I'm having the same issue for a post-workout snack.  Some of the things I thought of to do are: 

- Prepare mashed sweet potato beforehand 

- Avocado

- Sliced apples w/ almond butter

- Mixed nuts

- Sliced turkey

I tried browsing the chat forums, but haven't really found anything.  If you found something that is easy and work, please send it my way!

I'm a runner, and I'm on day 6!  I'm having the same issue for a post-workout snack.  Some of the things I thought of to do are: 

- Prepare mashed sweet potato beforehand 

- Avocado

- Sliced apples w/ almond butter

- Mixed nuts

- Sliced turkey

I tried browsing the chat forums, but haven't really found anything.  If you found something that is easy and work, please send it my way!

The mashed sweet potato and sliced turkey (assuming this is just turkey...not deli meat with possible icky ingredients) are good choices. Avocado, nut butter, and nuts are fats and should not be consumed for post workout as they slow digestion. Fruit is not ideal for post workout. The list that Derek posted just above your post has great suggestions.

I struggled with this during my Whole 30, but my go to option was to keep lots of chicken around...........already cooked and cut up into snack sized portions in little containers or baggies to grab and go.  I also would cook 1-3 sweet potatoes and put 1/2 of one in each container, to grab and go.  Same with other root veggies..............if I'm making roasted veggies for dinner I'll package the left overs into snack sized containers for pre and post WO snacks.  Sometimes I am bad about grabbing fruit.........applesauce, banana, strawberries, figs..............but that's only when I don't prepare and don't have the other stuff on hand.