March 30th Starters

Higgles

Good morning! It seems like a few of us are starting today (or yesterday). Today is the start of something great!

This is my 2nd go at a Whole 30, I made it into my 20's the first round but traveled for work and I fell off the wagon (and stayed off for about a month). A lot of little things got me last time, soy or sugars in random items (spices, canned tomatoes, tuna), so I'm much more aware this time and even my husband knows what to look for even though he isn't doing a W30 himself.

I'm currently living in Germany and I find it hard to find certain items that I can easily find in the US if you go to the right grocery store... no coconut aminos here, nor almond butter, or almond milk (at least that I can find yet). I order what I can off amazon but some items can get very pricey (like the coconut aminos), so I'm trying to do without or find suitable substitutes.

My 30th birthday is in 44 days and so right now feeling healthy for my birthday is my biggest motivator. How is everyone else doing on Day 1?

I'm starting today too. This is my first time, but I've been eating a primal diet for a few months so I feel like I have a bit of a head start. That said, I'm nervous about figuring out how much to eat so that I don't need snacks and also completely giving up sugar. We can do this, right?

I'm re-starting today....I was doing the whole 30 for Lent thread, but got sick derailed. Or made poor choices-let's not make it sound like I was a victim :) I agree, Easter will be a challenge. I've been doing this for awhile now, 1 complete whole 30 and a number of partials....and I've noticed that sometimes it's not the big events that get to me (like Easter, or parties or whatever) because I've steeled myself to be tough. BUT the dragging stressful days that just eat away at you till you start munching raisins, then think, what the hell, raisins and chocolate chips are essentially sort of the same....then-GAME OVER :)

So, as I slowly figure this out (really more of a major lifestyle change than a diet) I am working on taking sleep more seriously, and taking myself and everyone else's opinions LESS seriously!

Hope this will be an active thread, I've REALLY been helped by the threads I've been on before!

Hello!  I started my 2nd attempt  yesterday.  Stopped at day 26 last time as I had an unexpected road trip, then left town for work for a week.  My results were way less than stellar last time.  I'm hoping to stretch this to a whole60 or 90 since it's obvious 30 days (well, 26) isn't even close to sufficient.

My boyfriend and I both started today as well!  This is our first Whole30, but my best friend has done it twice in the past year, and has motivated me (us) to go for it!  I'm excited, but nervous as well.  I've long been a bread and sugar lover.

But we're determined and I believe we can do this, together!

Today is my first day, as well! I did a big cook up yesterday, and brought all that I needed to work. Problem is that right now I am absolutely STARVING. I had sweet potatoes, baked chicken and Sunshine Sauce from Well Fed for lunch.  Did I not eat enough? Should I have added more veggies? I think I might bite my arm....

Good morning guys! I was thinking last night, one thing that really helped me stay on track last time was posting my meals. It kept me accountable, and also helped with feedback and suggestions. If you're ok with that, I think I'll be doing it again....

Scorpiosister19, I think the idea with the whole 30 is if you're hungry, eat! A snack like sweet pepper sticks and guacamole, or just a mini meal of sorts-a little salad and some leftover steak strips etc seems to work pretty well. Everyone is different, but I know for me and many others, nuts, nut butters and dried fruit are 'food with no breaks' and can lead to waaaayyyyy over consumption! but everyone is different.

So my meal plan for today:

M1: 2 or 3 eggs and some guacamole

M2: baked peppers stuffed with taco meat and guac (yes I have some guac to use up!) and a green salad

M3: spaghetti squash w/ marinara sauce

I'm going to prep the salad and roast the squash this morning, because if I wait till I'm starving before a meal, it will never happen.

Good morning!  I don't always know what I'm going to have for dinner (M3) so I'm going to post what I had for dinner last night and what I'll have for M1 and M2 today. I also had some guac to use up. :)

Yesterday M3: Turkey taco meat with onions and peppers over green leaf lettuce with guacamole and tomatoes

Today M1: leftover taco meat with spinach and tomatoes, 2 eggs and a banana

Today M2: kale slaw salad with herb vinaigrette, salmon and 1/2 a sweet potato

Day 1 was pretty easy, as expected. I'm hoping it doesn't get too difficult for any of us. 

Can I join in? I finished my first W30 on Sunday and have gone straight for another one.  I still feel like a newbie even having been compliant for 30 days and I feel there is loads I can learn still.  I'm also scouting around for some new meal ideas as I'd like to shake things up a little.

Hi all.  Yesterday 30 March was my first day as well.  I sailed through the day without any problems, but today is a different story.  I had a late start and wasn't able to prepare any breakfast before starting work so ended up having a cup of black coffee, two bananas and a bunch of red grapes until 3pm.   When I got home I had some smoked salmon with leftover roasted cabbage and cauliflower.  But oh the headache!  I had a small cup of coffee but it didn't seem to do the trick.  Could it be carb withdrawals?  Anyone else with a headache today?

Scorpiosister1 - I would definately plan snacks in the first few days while you adjust.  Most people aren't accustomed to eating 'enough' fat / protein and until you find the right balance you can find yourself hungry between meals.  Between meal snacks are really 'mini meals' - protein, veg, fat.  In an emergency fruit and nuts can be used (I use them the first week), but they will prolong your sugar withdrawal and not be ideal if weight loss is a big goal.  I'd guess you were light with the Sunshine Sauce and so really needed more fat... home made mayo, avocado, olives are great to add to lunches as you adjust.  All good fats, promise.  Homemade Mayo is super easy... if you search these boards you'll find tons of advice and recipes.

Earlybird... if I only ate some fruit until 3pm, I'd have more than a headache! I'd be homicidal.  It is common to have headaches in the first week and carb withdrawal is commonly called the 'carb flu' because you feel headachy and tired.  But since you basically missed two meals that's and only had fruit sugar in the meantime, that's reason enough for a headache.

I was going to start tomorrow, but ended up kind of starting today. I'm going longer than 30 days this time... but haven't settled on how long.

Hi!  I did a complete Whole30 in Jan and went directly on a 3 week vacation to Aruba - not a very good re-intro, but not all out of control.  Do I have been doing ok since - at about 90%, but slowly 'losing' it.  Didn't really track weight, but I don't think I lost much.

So this time I would like to do a 60 or 90 and lose weight.  I think the fruit/nut butter 'dessert' is a problem area for me.  I also filled in some 'myfitnesspal.com' pages to see what the recommended protein/fat/veggie carb proportion would be.... Was this a mistake?  Seems like the calorie counts are pretty high...

So I'm thinking this time to really up the veggies and use good fats to keep it all satisfying, and watch the protein and fruit amounts to improve probability of losing weight.

Does this sound right?  or are there better ideas out there?  Anyone?   

Also, I'm going to post regularly and include meals.  Hope this is a lively thread!

I am also in Northern Virginia.

Hi!  I did a complete Whole30 in Jan and went directly on a 3 week vacation to Aruba - not a very good re-intro, but not all out of control.  Do I have been doing ok since - at about 90%, but slowly 'losing' it.  Didn't really track weight, but I don't think I lost much.

So this time I would like to do a 60 or 90 and lose weight.  I think the fruit/nut butter 'dessert' is a problem area for me.  I also filled in some 'myfitnesspal.com' pages to see what the recommended protein/fat/veggie carb proportion would be.... Was this a mistake?  Seems like the calorie counts are pretty high...

So I'm thinking this time to really up the veggies and use good fats to keep it all satisfying, and watch the protein and fruit amounts to improve probability of losing weight.

Does this sound right?  or are there better ideas out there?  Anyone?   

Also, I'm going to post regularly and include meals.  Hope this is a lively thread!

I am also in Northern Virginia.

Dropping any desserty-type items, yes.

Doing macro/calorie tracking: we advise against it.

Use the recommended meal template and let satiety be your guide. 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and compliant fat at each meal. Use the portion sizes that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Drink 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily.

Get 8 hours of sleep nightly.

Keep stress well-managed.

If your body needs to lose weight, the above practices are likely to get you there.

HI there 

Would love to tag along with you 

I am on day 13 AIP W30 (have been on and off W30 all this year but have now settled on AIP - which seems to be working better for me)

On AIP you are off the nuts so no nut butter to worry about - but 1 dried apricot this morning lead to another and another !! Fortunately it was directly after breakfast and I hope I am back on track

Sugar of any sort, for me, leads to all the wrong decisions so I am glad to be part of a group - as stravajunkie says it gives accountability

Not sure how long I will be going for - at least the 30 !! after that I may just stop counting

Zoe  

Good morning everyone! It's Day 3 and I feel pretty good so far. My allergies are a bit more active this morning. Not sure if that's just New Mexico in April (it's April!) or the detox that Melissa mentions in the daily newsletter. I'm finding the newsletter very helpful. Plus, I love the videos at the end of the day when I click, "I did it! Another Whole30 in the bank.". They're so cute. 

Yesterday M3: Hamburger (just the meat, of course) with heirloom tomato and roasted turnips (these were SO good)

Today M1: Wellshire Farms sugar free bacon, 2 eggs, zucchini and strawberries

Today M2: Carne Adovada (it's a New Mexico thing. Pork cooked in spices) with kale slaw and sweet potato

Have a great day!

Good morning again!

I did manage to get the spaghetti squash cooked, and it was surprisingly good. Yes-that was a first for me. How can I have done the W30 once WITHOUT spaghetti squash? Well, creativity in cooking isn't my strong suit :) I was goofing around on forums yesterday and saw that Costco Marinara is compliant. Oh joy. I have added it to my list. I really need some new flavors! Because my family isn't doing this with me, I usually eat a sort of adapted meal-whatever protein is on the table, plus a steamer full of some kind of veggie. But because I'm already cooking a (fairly healthy but not necessarily compliant) meal, I haven't done much to expand my compliant repertoire of recipes. But now I can do homemade mayo AND spaghetti sauce, so I'm totally on a roll :)

Today:

M1 2 or 3 eggs and guac

M2 leftover spaghetti squash, meat sauce and green salad

M3 Pork roast and frozen steamed veggies

Several people above mentioned headaches....I think if you're used to a diet that had quite a bit of grain/dairy/sugars this change hits your system pretty hard. I noticed that making sure I was getting plenty of good fat helped a lot, as well as starchy veggies and there's nothing (at least I don't think) that says taking an aspirin or ibuprophen is an issue. It might take the edge off as you body adjusts.

Hi Everyone! I figured out that I wasn't eating enough fat at my meals. So for breakfast today I had 2 eggs with prosciutto, a quarter of an avocado, a cup of carrots and a cup of strawberries.  Last night I had the chili I made from Well Fed (delish) over spaghetti squash and I added some guac. Also, for lunch yesterday I made chicken salad with my homemade mayo, and had avocado and a ton of veggies. Does this sound like I'm on the right track??

Scorpiosister19-YES, that sounds really wise. It took me awhile to get myself comfortable with eating fat, not because I'm phobic about fat, but because I was phobic about calories and calories are heavy in fat. BUT when I did I felt so much better, and found that paradoxically, eating more fat and less fruit/dried fruit/nuts = losing a little body fat as an added bonus.

My plan today:

M1 2-3 eggs and guac

M2 Green salad with chicken

M3 Steamed veggies and spaghetti sauce and meatballs

Have a great day!

It is so had to get used to eating fat and thinking that it isn't going to MAKE ME fat. I have to be honest, I would like to lose a few pounds and I get kind of discouraged when I see that a lot of people haven't lost anything at all. In the meantime, I'm just going to stick with the plan and hope for the best!

Good morning everyone! Scorpiosister19 - it's definitely a mind-shift to eat fat and feel like you're not going to get fat. I'd suggest doing some research and reading about why fat doesn't make you fat. If you understand why it's true you'll believe it yourself instead of just following what someone else says. I have also been discouraged by reading the success stories of people that haven't lost weight. In fact, last night I was kind of freaking out about it. A lot of those people where eating too many nuts or paleo junk food (RX bars). I think if we listen to our bodies about how much to eat and stick to the plan in the most authentic way possible then we'll likely lose weight. 

It's day 4 and I feel good. I haven't been tired or had cravings. 

Yesterday M3: Steak and brussel sprouts

Today M1: bacon, eggs, an heirloom tomato and strawberries

Today M2: Kale slaw with herb vinaigrette, citrus chicken and 1/2 a sweet potato. 

I have some good news to report. The tendonitis that I've had in my thumb and wrist for over a year is gone. I did occupational therapy, Kinesio tape, a cortisone injection, but nothing made it go away permanently. It started getting better when I did a Primal Blueprint 21-day challenge, then I went on vacation and drank beer and ate too many paleo desserts from Whole Foods and it started hurting again. As of Whole30 Day 3 it's gone! Just gone. It really makes me wonder what would happen to the health care industry if everyone ate this way. I even daydreamed about writing a book about it, it would be a fantasy novel, of course. Can you imagine a world where people were healthy and happy and the need for health care was greatly diminished? Kind of Utopian and all because of diet. Wow.

Genghiskhym - It's funny you say that about your thumb. I have a chronic sprain in my ankle, as well as swelling and achilles issues. Since I started Whole30, I haven't had a single pain in my ankle! I went to PT for months and could never get the swelling to subside. I've been wearing ballet flats, too, which are BIG NO NO for me, and my ankle feels fine! Is this just a coincidence, or is my inflammation already going down and I'm seeing the effects? If so, that is AMAZING!!

Archived