April 1st Whole30 Start date anyone?

Tmroach2

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there, Tara! My name is Belu, and I'm an 18yo argentinian student. I am starting on April 1st as well with this journey! My main goal is trying to destroy this sugar addiction of mine, (I also need to lose about 5kgs, but I want to eliminate the main issue first). 

Anyway, even though I am super motivated, I believe it could be great to have someone to share this experience with! Maybe you can send me an e-mail and we can chat? Have a daily-update and talk to each other throughout this process?

My email is [email protected], if you are interested  :D

Either way, BEST OF LUCK!!!

I'm starting 4/1 too.  I'm trying to get my meal plans in order, because I know I will crash if I don't have a good plan.  We are going camping this week, so that will be a challenge, but we always cook lots of eggs and bacon for breakfast, so I should be good.  (Sorry for the run-on.)

Have any of you found any great meal planning tools?

I think there are some good tools on the website you can use.  I'm not planning to use one, which I may come to regret.  Interested in your experience if you find one you like.

Be careful with the bacon.  I heard the program is tough on bacon because most of it is cured with <gasp> ....sugar!  I think there's even a "Bacon Manifesto" somewhere.

My name is Dana. I have Hashimoto's and recently did 2 months of AIP (Auto Immune Protocol) as a "test" for my endocrinologist, to see if it would make any difference on my thyroid antibodies and thyroid hormones. After the "fairly strict" 2 months, and after I had my blood drawn for the test, I gave up for a week. I didn't feel better and the "diet" was hard and I wasn't FEELING any results from it.  I got my test results today and every number he tested was better!! If I had been feeling better he would have taken my dose of Synthroid down today. That is EXCELLENT NEWS!! So, tomorrow I will go back to the store and load up on good whole foods. The main reason I'm doing the Whole 30 is the addition of taking "fake foods" out of the rotation. "A paleo pancake is still a pancake" (even if it's made out of good ingredients).  This is an added layer for me and I think it will be a good one.  Time to plan my meals! :D

Hey everyone, my name is Micki

I really want to start April 1st, but I am not sure if I should.... I am a seasoned runner, and have ran for 15+ years and was active duty Army for 10 of them.  I have started competeing in local races in Indianapolis and did the Mini 500 last year and I am training for it again this year, it's on May 2nd.... should I start this before or after the race?  Any ideas or suggestions would be amazing!! 

Thank you!

I'm starting April 2nd. I would like to start tomorrow, but I need to go shopping as I don't really have the right food for work lunches. And there's nothing I can buy on campus that would be acceptable. And it's best if I stay away from the food places that are full of junk and sweets and sugary drinks and so on anyway.

I’m starting on April 1st too!  This will be my second Whole30.  I completed my first one in December and lost 15 pounds.  I’m ready to get this ball rolling again!  Not sure why I even stopped because I felt so great when the 30 days were up.  But it’s nice to know I can come back to Whole30 and I will be feeling great again soon enough!!   

Good luck everyone!  We can do this!  :)

No fooling!  Starting today!  First time on Whole 30.  I've watched two friends complete the Whole 30 since Jan 1.  They feel great, look great, and are great - oh they were great before; they're just healthier now!  

Micki 827 - not sure what the Mini 500 is but Good Luck!  I am a runner also, but I'm injured and facing surgery in May.  This Whole 30 is part of my effort to be as healthy and strong as I can be for surgery.  I did read in the prep information that it might not be best to start if you are training for a specific race - it's not unhealthy but might affect your race results in a bad way - i.e. no PR.

Keeping my meals simple this first week.  

Good luck everyone! 

Started this morning! Does anyone else have kids in the house? I'm really nervous about how I'm going to handle my food versus kids' food. We are home all day and it feels like our days revolve around growing kids that are always hungry and looking food. @ DanaDeBard- I too struggle with hypothyroidism so I am hoping this helps my numbers as well. (And my energy, and my weight...)

Hello everyone!  My name is Shelley and I just started on 4/1 today as well.  This is my first one so I'm definitely a newbie.  We recently moved to Sweden from Colorado and with no real commitments except my business, I figured this was as good a time to start as any!  I've always known what to do to lose weight, but I've had major issues with sugar, dealing with some pain, wanted to lose my post-baby weight and knew I needed to do something not only for me, but for my little girl.  She's my WHY with everything.  My niece challenged me to do the Whole30 program.  At first I thought there was no way I would be able to do this, but I figured there was nothing to lose either.  I'll be doing the program and taking my IWG supplements so I'm excited to see what transpires within the next 30 days!!  Good luck to all of us!  :-)

Hi everyone, I'm Laura.  

Started my first Whole30 today also. YAY! I looked into it several months ago, did lots of reading up and got really excited, but was sweetly sabotaged by my well meaning boyfriend who really likes to cook, go out, and basically eat really rich, yummy stuff.  Well... I just dropped him off at the airport for a 4 week business trip, so what better time to start!  LOL.  Hoping I feel and look so differently when he returns, that he will be motivated to join me on my second Whole30... or at least adopt some of the good habits I am looking to pick up these next 30 days.

I already eat lots of lean protein and produce, and am not a big bread/potato/pasta eater... but have a huge sugar addiction.  That is my number one goal... to lose the sugar cravings I get every single day, after almost every single meal.  Ugh. I know from reading up that sugar is a cancer/disease magnet.... it is so bad for us and is in everything. This will be my biggest challenge to say the least.  Number two goal?...trying to figure out how to drink my coffee without cream and honey each morning (at least i have already kicked my flavored creamer habit).  Trying some green tea today.

Okay... that's it for now.  Glad to be joining you all.... let's be here for each other during this journey...especially the undoubtedly rough days we have coming up this first week. ;)

Starting my third Whole 30 today.  Excited because I know how great I feel after, and overwhelmed a bit because I want to get back on track so badly, and know how far I have fallen.  Also irritated that I keep doing this to myself!  One day at a time though.  Having a community is key, so I'll keep checking back.  Have a great day 1!

Hello everyone! My husband and I are starting today as well. This will be my second Whole 30. I did one in August. While I didn't lose much weight, I lost inches and felt a lot better. I think I overdid the ghee, olive oil and dried fruit last go round. I need to get a better grasp on those this time and I think it will help with the weight loss. I'm a super busy 37 yr old mom of 3. The biggest challenge I experienced is all the meal prep, esp. for breakfast. I have a tendency to be a 'grab-and-go' person in the morning, and I find myself having to slow down and make something. Good luck everyone and I'll be 'seeing' you on here! :D

Hey there!  I started today too and was going to post the exact same thing so thank you Tara!  Its helpful to have a posse to bounce ideas / feelings / encouragement off of so this is great.  

Sitting down to lunch break now with my mix of wholesome veggies and 'the best chicken ever' recipe which is, by far, the absolute best chicken I've ever had.  Feeling great and hoping you all are as well...at least for now.  Apparently it will get worse before it gets better so I've informed my husband and co-workers to please not hate / fire me in the next couple weeks!  

Let's keep it going all!  Look forward to sharing and being shared with!

Cheers,

Erin

CNordie, Christie, and artymis... since you have all done this before, PLEASE chime in with helpful hints.  As a first timer, it can be a little overwhelming.  Will I be able to keep my self from cheating?  Will I be able to make it through those tough days at the beginning of the Whole30 as my body is transitioning?  Will I really feel a difference?  So excited to do this, but so many doubts in the back of my mind (stop, you 'ole negative chatter!!!!)

Erin... 'best chicken ever' is on my menu tonight.  Can't wait to try it!

Having someone to hold you accountable is HUGE. The last time I did a whole 30 I had my BFF (also co-worker) with me. It really helped with social functions to have someone else who wouldn't have a piece of cake or a glass of wine. This time I'm doing it with my husband for the same reasons.

So.... how did everyone do on day one??

I made it, although I sure did want something sweet about an hour after dinner....as usual.  I grabbed a handful of berries and watched American Idol and made it through the rest of the night.  LOL.

I finally got to the grocery store after work and stocked up... made 'best chicken ever' and a stir fry of sweet potatoes, onions, mushrooms, and kale for dinner.  Added a little curry powder and coconut milk to the stir fry and it was delicious.

Breakfast today was a scramble of ground turkey, broccoli slaw and eggs in coconut oil.  I am not usually a big breakfast eater, but this was really good and I ate it with no problem.  I brought leftovers from last night for lunch today... and will likely go with a salad tonight (romaine, chicken (from last night), avo, and hard boiled egg).  Although, I can't wait to try the sunshine sauce soon.  I have a feeling that will end up being my go-to for most meals.  It sounds fabulous!

Let us know what you ate!  I'm sure I'll get in a rut soon and want to be able to grab onto ideas from you all.  :)

Hey LJT, congrats on a great first day!  Mine went really well too, same sweet cravings last night so I did a small apple with Sunbutter and it did the trick and then some.  You must, absolutely, no doubt, make the Sunshine Sauce.  It is AWESOMESAUCE!!!  Really, awesome sauce!  I'm dipping my veggies in it right now.  I prepared one batch in my blender, tasted the spatula, and immediately doubled it on the spot.  Try some curry along with the ginger and I used both lime and orange juice (freshly squeezed), super yummy.  

Also, my sis-in-law suggested a quiche-like dish for mornings on the go, make one casserole dish's worth and you'll have enough for a portion a day for a week.  Line the dish with already baked spaghetti or butternut squash (that you've removed from the shell), smush it down like a pie crust, bake for @ 5 minutes, then add scrambled egg and whatever veggies you like (broccoli, spinnach, olives, onions, etc...its all good!).  Bake until egg is firm at 350 degrees, about 25 minutes.  It made my morning that much easier so I could hang with my 17 mth old instead of cook before work.

Wishing you and all the other April Fools an outstanding second day!!  Lets keep it goin all!!

Cheers,

Erin

Thank you Erin... that breakfast sounds delish!  and I have no problem eating the same thing several days in a row, especially if it makes my days less hectic!!  I will stop and get a spaghetti squash tonight!

And yes... I have heard MAGICAL things about the sunshine sauce.  Are we allowed to drink it as a beverage?  LOL!!  I can't wait to try it.

BTW... love the name 'April Fools'!!   I think you have just officially named our little group.  :D

Happy Day 2 to you all!!

Hello, April Fools! I too had a great first day, and also had the after dinner sugar cravings. I ate 3-4 super yummy blackberries and got over it. I over slept this morning and just grabbed a hard boiled egg and some fruit as I ran out the door. The quiche casserole thing sounds really good. I'm a little unsure on the squash for crust part though. Does it fall apart easily? I'm munching a salad at my desk as we speak. Applegate Farms organic grilled chicken strips are AMAZING on it. I warmed them up in the microwave and threw them on top and I'm in heaven. Funny story - my boss loves to bring in treats for events. She shot me an email today that there were said treats (for Easter) in the breakroom. I hesitated before replying thank you, but no thank you. She replied back that she'd brought donut holes for everyone else, but there was a whole basket of fruit in there for me! Bananas, apples, nectarines... I was so appreciative that she remembered!

Archived