April 1st Whole30 Start date anyone?

Tmroach2

DATES!  Fresh dates, not dried.  And not too many for sure.  But oh, the sweet chewy love that is fresh dates did it!  Hopefully this helps some of you with those night time cravings because berries didn't do it for me, even though I love them.

I've always loved dates... but have never tried them fresh. I will have to pick some up this weekend.

Since you are a date nut like me, you will love the tahini/date sauce recipe in my earlier post.  yummers!

Have a great day!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi April Fools (that's neat)!

I started on the 1st as well and wasn't sure about doing the forum because I don't want to fall behind on something to check in on - but this month is about change so here I am.

I had a dream my first night that I had chocolate and had to start all over. When I woke up I was so mad I had to start over, then I realized it was a dream. LOL! Sugar is my problem (I think it also causes the constant pain I'm in to stick around). The occasional fast food places too. I delayed doing this for over a month. I'm proud of myself for even still being with it only 3 days in because it's so easy to just go get something quick.

I'm going to try that quiche-like dish Hammockjunkie. I've never had squash so should be interesting.

I know being prepared ahead of time is going to be key for me. I'm hoping my fifth trip to a different store will turn up the no sugar added Sunbutter so I can make sunshine sauce. I love Thai food!

Looking forward to encouraging each other over the next 27 days (see already looks smaller by that number) :)

TexasWhole30 I'm with you on the time.  I spent about an extra hour at the grocery today and then still had to run to Whole Foods to get a spice for a Thai Green Chicken dish I'm making for the weekend and to try to find compliant bacon and sausage.  Found the bacon, nearly choked when I saw the price!!! No luck with sausage that didn't have sugar of some sort.  I'll keep searching.

Artimis the Chicken Hash and Egg recipe that I posted last night was great for breakfast.  I bet you could make it a forgo the eggs and that might be a great breakfast for you.

Beware the sugar levels and calories in the dates!  :huh:

Traveling for Easter and a bit nervous about the food that will be around.  The main meal will be ok and luckily the kids are all older so hoping not much candy around.  I'm sure there will be a beautiful strawberry short cake.  I'm planning on having the strawberries and maybe splurge with some banana with it.  Going in with a plan should be helpful and then I'm planning to jump up and start the dishes to get away from the table.

Have a wonderful evening.  I'm trying a salmon cake recipe tonight - I'll let you know how it goes.

Feeding the sugar dragon with fruit is still feeding the sugar dragon. 

I like frittatas for the morning. I make a big one with whatever veggies I feel like in it and then just season it a different way every day so eating it for 5 days doesn't get boring. I'm having a slice of frittata with marinara sauce for dinner. Didn't feel like cooking.

Hey there April Fools.... 3 down, 27 to go!

Felt a lot better toward the end of the day (busy day at work made it go by fast thank goodness).  After my yummy breakfast (sweet potatoes, eggs, avo), i made it all the way to lunch without being starved.  Had leftovers for lunch that were totally satisfying.  Had to have a 'snacky' dinner tonight because I was running late to rehearsal and had no time to cook anything: a can of TJ sardines, the other half of my avo, a big handful of cherry tomatoes and half a cucumber.  But... it filled me up and at 9 pm I am feeling good... satisfied... and the sugar dragon is no where to be found (hallelujah!!).

All set to make pad thai tomorrow night with my first try at sunshine sauce (I can't wait!!!)  AND... I found sugar free chicken apple sausage at Mother's market.  Granted, I had to mortgage my house to pay for them, but I am super excited to try them tomorrow for breakfast!

Thrilled to be on this adventure with you all!  We can do this...it's only 30 days...and from everything we have all read, it is SO worth it!

-Laura

Hello, Started April 1st also so going into Day 4  anybody else nervous about Easter? going to my in-laws house told them ahead of time that I am have committed to a whole 30 Challenge so I am hoping they took me seriously and heard me when I told them what I am willing to eat. Best of luck to us all in The April 2015 whole 30 challenge group  :)

I'm on day 4 of my 1st whole 30. So far so good. I think the only thing I miss right now is half n half in my coffee. Oh and altoids! I need a breath freshener! I'm going to check out peppymint by Aveda. I heard its whole30 compliant. Does anyone have other ideas? I'm also not sleeping great. Awake a lot during those sleeping hours! Ugh. Have a great whole30 day.

I started the whole30 on April 1st too.

I was committed to paleo in late 2013 & felt great, but my apartment was crumbling apart and filled with mold...  I started moving/renovating in early 2014.  My old place had a broken kitchen -  the new place had a destroyed kitchen... so I gave myself "permission" to keep paleo in my mind, but I had to eat out or prepared snacks from Whole Foods for virtually every meal until very late 2014.  

Now the renovation is almost done & it seems like the right time - and the most exciting part to me is this:    I just heard that my 2nd cousin (who is 50 years old) was able to get off of his hypertension meds by following the Whole30.  My family line back to my great-grandparents have extreme hypertension, despite various family members trying different diet & exercise regimes.  My uncontrolled BP clocks in at 195/125.  We all seem to also have very bad reactions to many common pharmaceuticals - so I would *love* to get off them for good if at all possible.  

I cook for myself and my wife & before committing on April 1, I would cook the *awesome* recipes from  Well Fed - but add a sauce with agave nectar for my wife... and then have some dandelion tea with stevia for me.   Its not too terrible to transition away from those sweeteners.  I've found it helpful to use some of the Well Fed 2 meatball recipes with a little bit of raisins or dried apricots.  By eating a little fruit sugars with the protein, it seems lot easier to avoid any other sweet cravings. I also wanted to consciously avoid snacking by focusing more on the meal itself. 

My compromise with my lady, who is not joining me [yet] on Whole30:  she is agreeing to my cooking only Whole30 meals for us - but she can add non-compliant additions to her meals like bagels, sweet sauces, non-dairy ice cream, etc as necessary.  She is not comfortable in the kitchen.... and I feel like making the core diet compliant and then asking her to supplement by herself seems like a good compromise.  

Due to my pre-existing issues - and plenty of earlier experiments -  I know I already can't eat dairy, alcohol or any caffeine...  and both my parents died before the age of 65 - one from cancer, the other from diabetes.  So, I feel very motivated to give the Whole30 my best to see if I can actually help my medical conditions.  Any cheating is ultimately against myself.  

"Radical change" that helped a ton:

Following Well Fed's advice to set aside time to plan my next few days meals & then plan for several hours to cook/chop/prep ahead and carefully pack in glass tupperware.  This helps to not even look at craved foods, when good options are at hand.  Having to cook a meal from scratch - when hungry - is not ideal.  

Hebchill:  I hear you man.  When my diet was 100% SAD - it was a tremendous effort to change & add paleo.  I was definitely not feeling well... but my lady at the time had it even worse, with a massive systemic yeast infection that had taken root over an 8 year period.  She was feeling extremely ill when we went on a a sugar-free anti-yeast diet together.  When seeking help from a Dr., her response was "If the problems took 8 years to develop, don't be disheartened if it takes longer than 8 days to fix".  It helped me to realize that even when we make sudden, positive changes in our habits, it can take *a while* for the changes to come to every system - and the transformation can be painful in ways you never dreamed of...   Don't beat yourself up if it takes several attempts to get your system clear of the old crap & primed for more nutrient dense goodies.  

I don't expect my BP to be "fixed" by the end of the month...  but I'm ready, willing and motivated to see what kind of transformations I can eke out with a committed 30 day plan.  

best of luck to everyone!!!

Yesterday was a hard day for me, I start the morning all wrong and probably have to push back my reintro date until 5/3....eating out while on the whole30 is almost unbearable...I was able to have a grilled steak salad at a company lunch...but I went to a sushi restaurant for dinner and it just went downhill...ate sashimi but no soy sauce or wasabi...I told them not to put any soy sauce or teriyaki sauce onto the grilled meat...just salt and pepper..but I know for sure, they don't use olive Oil on the kitchen..so there goes my day 3...good luck with everyone during Easter celebration

Day 4-  I feel "normal" today.  I don't have a hangover.  I don't feel as good as I did yesterday but I don't feel bad.  I have felt a little bit more tired than usual but nothing crazy.  Going out to dinner tonight... Looks like it will be chicken on lettuce with guac and tomatoes for me. Hope everyone else is sticking with it

"...grated some sweet potatoes that I cooked up in coconut oil, SP, and garlic powder. Then two eggs over easy and a half of an avo went on top of that."

Totally stealing this, LJT.

Ncp - I think this is the sweet potato hash recipe.

Started on April 1st as well. First 2 days were fine. Third day woke with a foggy head feeling. Yesterday (fourth day) was rough - got up feeling very light-headed, wobbly legs, and zero energy. Forced myself to eat. Slept most of the day. Today, feeling fine.

Is anyone else not having the "Kill all things" stage? I mean, I guess that is a good thing, I'm sure my non-participating boyfriend thinks so, but I keep going over all my foods to make sure I didn't miss some non-compliant ingredient that would have thrown me off.  Anyone?  I had a pretty terrible diet (heavy carbs, lots of sugar) before so I don't think it is because I'm already used to it.  

And for my runners and people training, I'm super sore! More than I thought I would be, so maybe that is where all the pain is going, not to my head but to my joints. 

Is anyone else not having the "Kill all things" stage? I mean, I guess that is a good thing, I'm sure my non-participating boyfriend thinks so, but I keep going over all my foods to make sure I didn't miss some non-compliant ingredient that would have thrown me off.  Anyone?  I had a pretty terrible diet (heavy carbs, lots of sugar) before so I don't think it is because I'm already used to it.  

And for my runners and people training, I'm super sore! More than I thought I would be, so maybe that is where all the pain is going, not to my head but to my joints.

I'm not having them very heavily. I got a couple headaches yesterday and today (not so bad) but only got the 'kill all the things' when I wasted a trip to store that told me they had no sugar added Sunbutter and didn't. Lol. I was not happy! I was a big chocolate eater and sugar in tea drinker. Day 5 done.

Same here.... I have felt "normal" and actually surprisingly extra friendly today.   I am worried about the tiredness thats supposed to come the next two days.... maybe I can skip that as well haha

Good morning all, Happy Day 6!

I'm with you guys, still haven't gotten the 'kill all things' feelings yet.  Even when there were two different cakes on the table yesterday I was cool with my coffee and coconut milk and apple slices with sunflower seed butter.  In fact, that may have peaked some interest among the in-laws who are looking to lose weight.  But yeah, I have a horrible temper so I figured for sure I'd be a nightmare...but the opposite has happened.  Maybe its because I'm too tired (sleep like a rock these days, no fun dreams of delicious food here) but moments when I'd normally see red and grumble for 2 hours about whatever it was that pissed me off seem to pass immediately.  Whatever the reason, I'll take it  :D

Managed to cook a Whole30 compliant pot roast with veggies and saute up a yummy batch of green beans with bell peppers for Easter dinner, no one knew the difference...and loved it.  I did a ham too and made gravy out of the pot roast juice for everyone else.  It worked out good and no slipping.  

Here's to another great week, happy belly to you all!

Day 6-  Feel a little more tired than I have the last few days but that could also be because I got up an hour earlier than normal so I could make breakfast and enjoy it without being rushed.  I don't want to jinx myself but for 6 days this has been a lot easier than I thought it would. 

• Administrators

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this post and I started my first Whole30 yesterday. Feeling great and I'm surprised usually by 3PM I'll be hungry for a snack but I haven't felt anything except i'm recovering from a cold and have this lingering cough but I can't put a cough drop or honey tea to soothes it.

Day One

Breakfast - Purple Sweet Potato & a cup of black tea

Lunch - Salad with lettuce, avocado, egg, carrot, cucumber, onions, olive oil, S&P, lemon

Dinner - Banana & Handful of Nuts

Snacks - clementine

Day Two

Breakfast - Tomato, Avocado, Egg, Olive Oil S&P

Lunch - Mixed vegetables and oven roasted chicken breast

SpicyMui, please take a look at our meal template (linked in my signature below).  We recommend that you balance protein, veggies and fat with every single meal.  Is there any particular reason that you are limiting your intake?

Archived