April Reintroductioners!!!

leaC

Hi Everyone, so we came out the other end alive, & dare I say 'well'!

I've started this thread for those ending their March W30, and commencing the re-intro stage, so we can continue to support each other....

HAPPY DAY 1!

Leanne xx  :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Leanne! Do you have a plan for your reintro yet?

I've got one more meal, dinner tonight, for day30.

I'm going to make Day 1 my "gluten free grains" day, since my work cubicle mate has insisted that I join him for sushi. For dinner I'm doing to make some taco chicken with leftovers from Sunday's roast, along with some sweet corn and either corn chip or corn tortillas from a local company.

Days 2 & 3 are back to whole30 and I'm really hoping my body is cool with things, especially the rice. I think I can go without rice as a side dish, but in the long run I'd miss sushi.

Day 4 is going to be a legume introduction day. Peanut butter, black beans, and edamame. Possibly some soy sauce.

Days 5 & 6 are whole 30 again.

Day 7 is going to be "regular" grains, although I am not sure what I will eat yet. Maybe some pasta since it's in the cupboard already...

I have no intentions of reintroducing dairy. I knew it bothered me before and would often tough it out when I really wanted some ice cream or gelato. I can't say that I'll never have my beloved Turkish coffee gelato again, but I'm not going to reintroduce items that I am positive will not make my tummy happy.

I think I'm going to introduce dairy first.  I haven't noticed problems with it in the past, and I miss my greek yogurt!  (Ice cream too.. but greek yogurt actually seems more important.)

After reading up on the questions surrounding NCGS (and being skeptical of the concept in general) I do want to introduce gluten separately from gluten-containing grains...  I'm just not entirely sure what I'll add it to, since most of the normal uses involve other grains.  Maybe some kind of fritters.

And I'll either split soy off from other legumes, or introduce them together and then go back and try it separately if I notice a reaction. 

I'm not entirely sure that I won't try to combine some of the reintroductions.  I'm not feeling awful like I was last week, but I'm also not seeing anything to indicate that I've cut out anything that was actually affecting me badly.  Being at pretty much status quo, it may make more sense to do a partially combined reintroduction and then retest separately if there's a problem. 

After reading up on the questions surrounding NCGS (and being skeptical of the concept in general) I do want to introduce gluten separately from gluten-containing grains...  I'm just not entirely sure what I'll add it to, since most of the normal uses involve other grains.  Maybe some kind of fritters.

I assume you mean to separate gluten grains from non-gluten grains?  That's what's recommended in the Whole30 reintroduction schedule.  The link also has suggested foods for each category. 

I assume you mean to separate gluten grains from non-gluten grains?  That's what's recommended in the Whole30 reintroduction schedule.  The link also has suggested foods for each category. 

No, I meant what I said; I'm planning on reintroducing gluten itself separately.  Obviously it still has to come from wheat, but introducing gluten-containing whole grains isn't particularly useful since there's more than just gluten in those grains.  Hence the entire non-celiac gluten intolerance fiasco.  http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html

No, I meant what I said; I'm planning on reintroducing gluten itself separately.  Obviously it still has to come from wheat, but introducing gluten-containing whole grains isn't particularly useful since there's more than just gluten in those grains.  Hence the entire non-celiac gluten intolerance fiasco.  http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html

How are you intending to ingest the gluten protein without any grain? I'm not trying to be difficult - just genuinely curious.

How are you intending to ingest the gluten protein without any grain? I'm not trying to be difficult - just genuinely curious.

Vital wheat gluten is sold by itself.  It's used as an additive for baking bread.  It helps with the texture and rise, especially when you're using whole wheat flour and/or other grains. 

But seitan is isolated gluten, too.  That might be easier to find for anybody who doesn't have a big bag of vital wheat gluten sitting in their freezer. 

Hi Everyone!

Hi Leanne! Do you have a plan for your reintro yet?

shortystylee, I always reintro dairy first, as it's the one thing I feel add's some pizaaz to my meals (that and I can't stand coconut milk in my coffee any more)!

I wasn't sure whether dairy caused inflamation in my joints last time, so I'm going to do about 3 days on dairy, then back to W30 for 2 days, then onto the next food group. Possibly non-gluten grains, then legumes, then gluten (per the recommended W30 re-intro plan I think)?!

Hope everyone is well?

Leanne.

Hi Everyone, so we came out the other end alive, & dare I say 'well'!

I've started this thread for those ending their March W30, and commencing the re-intro stage, so we can continue to support each other....

HAPPY DAY 1!

Leanne xx  :D

I just wanted to say great job!!! Thank you for your support during my 30 days!!  I wish you success on your reintro!!!!

Hi everyone! I'm going to join the group. I didn't re-introduce anything yesterday. I cooked what I was hungry for, which ended up being Whole30 compliant. So far for today I haven't introduced anything new yet either. I'm leaving for San Diego on Friday and I don't want to feel crummy on the flight so I'm trying to hold off, however, I do want to have a glass of wine at the wedding on Saturday.  :) Maybe I'll introduce non-glueten grains first, i.e., rice so I can enjoy sushi or thai food while in San Diego.  

Hey All! We did it! 

I'm reintroing peanutbutter today. It's the only legume I normally eat anyhow. 

On day 4 I'll be introing 24 hour yogurt and keeping it to a max of two cups as I can really overeat yogurt.

On day 7ish I'll be introing other aged cheeses. 

NO grains for me until I get this SIBO eradicated. And I'm finding the paleo diet really is good for me in general..

I'm waiting on the wine/alcohol until after my next SIBO test. 

Keep on everyone! We're on a good track here. :) xob

Yesterday was non-gluten grains. Had sushi rolls at lunch (no soy sauce) and while I didn't feel sick or have (ahem) bathroom issues, there were a few tummy gurgles that I didn't have with my normal compliant lunches all month. Not sure if it was the rice or that the restaurant was slow and I had to eat super fast to get back before the end of my lunch break. I'll probably try another reintro at the end for rice.

Dinner last night was taco chicken with some corn in the mix and some corn chips on the side. No issues there.

Next up is legumes on Friday.

I suffered from tummy gurgles when I ate gluten yesterday! Felt fine though. Mind you probably will try to avoid gluten in daily life because of the damage to your gut. Decided to avoid dairy as much as poss, felt rubbish and affected my sleep too. Seem to be ok with butter and hopefully cheese but will trying reintroducing this later again to test.

I just wanted to say great job!!! Thank you for your support during my 30 days!!  I wish you success on your reintro!!!!

Nawww, thanks Pyrotek!

Hey All! We did it! 

Keep on everyone! We're on a good track here. :) xob

Yeh bronnyd, glad you made it out the other side with me!

So.....as usual, I organised another amazing spread at work for all my colleagues. Today was hot cross buns & easter cupcakes for the entire office. WTH! I am NOT going to sit back and watch 130 people enjoy this pre Easter long weekend spread and not join in, not this time (even if I'm not up to re-intro of gluten as yet)!

I had 1 delicious toasted HXB with melted butter - absolute heaven! That's the extent of my digression. Back on track, stil re-introing dairy till tomorrow. Saturday will be W30, then we're off to lunch with my parents on Sunday, so the next food group to be re-intro'd will probably bring itself to the table!                                                                                     

I'm trying to observe the subtle changes various foods make to my body - you know, get in touch with myself. It's not all about stomach upsets an digestive issues. However I THINK (although am not sure), that maybe dairy causes me to 'slow things down digestively' if you know what I mean. During the entire 30 days I had (how can I put this delicately) - DIARRHEA the entire time. After a couple of days of heaps of dairy, things have rapidly gone the other way. Interesting, as I thought lactose intollerance caused upset tummies & diarrhea etc. My eczema on my hands has become dangerously itchy tonight (oh, is that the wine that's causing my itchiness)???

Ah, it's a learning experience folks!

Stay true to yourself, you know what you're trying to get out of this experience!

xx

I finished Tuesday! :) 

Yesterday I had some steel cut oats with berries and it was SO good.  We've spent the last several weeks boiling down maple sap to make syrup and it's been SO hard to not take a taste... I put about a tbs on my oats and it was way way too sweet for me. Cool, right?

I also decided to have a drink with my husband last night. Just a vodka and soda and I woke up with a headful of junk and am so congested this morning! 

As far as what I plan to reintroduce and in what order... I'm going to try non-gluten grains like oats (which seemed fine), rice and legumes.  We're going to try non-dairy for my daughter's GI issues so I'm going to do that with her for another month. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy a little more flexibility with reading labels and coming across incidental added sugar. And, I'm going to enjoy not having as large a grocery bill. :) 

Good luck everyone!

frogtrox, interesting observations of your reintro!

The home made maple syrup sounds incredible (& super healthy)! Yes, great that it is too sweet - you'll need less to sweeten your food, win win!

Re: the 'hangover effect', do you think it was purely the alcohol (depends how much you had really), or could it have been the oats? The congestion sounds more like a grain issue? :unsure: Vodka is made from potatos, which I assume you ate during your W30 so if you only had a couple of glasses, I'm not sure how it caused congestion? Anyone know the answer to this?

Agree with you re: label reading flexibility. I was very diligent during the W30, but now I find myself still reading labels, not choosing the foods that have 101 different ingredients, but not putting back a food that has added sugar or preservatives, if I'm consuming it in moderation and can't find a better substitute. I try to sweeten my food with 'other' sweeteners like home made date paste, maple syrup etc, but I only use the sweetener if completely necessary.

I'm also enjoying regular milk (have moved to a small amount of full fat over skim), in my coffee - sick of the taste of coconut!!! and am enjoying the occassional cup of tea with milk and a smidge of Xylitol (although may try a smidge of honey instead).

Happy Good Friday to everyone! :wub:

Hey All

A friendly reminder that in order to best serve and honor our bodies during reintro, W30 recommends allowing just one group at a time as stated here: 

"This means you’ll have to plan carefully, and not combine major food groups during your reintroduction period. For example, don’t eat a slice of toast with peanut butter, because how will you know whether it was the peanuts or the bread that made your joints ache? Do your best to reintroduce each designated food group (as outlined below) alone on your reintroduction day."

Speaking of peanut butter, my love for peanut butter abounds and it's looking OK! I ended up slurping up a couple spoonfulls yesterday for lunch and dinner and I feel great today! Also had some today ;). I also love yellow pepper and pork rinds. Both are great with crunchy organic unsweetened peanut butter. Sounds gross I know, but it's really very good! The peppers are like my apple, which I can't have (used to eat apples with PB all the time) and the pork rinds are like toast. Yummy yum yum. 

Reintro plans have changed a bit: am leaving town Saturday for a friend's birthday and so Sat night, I will be reintroing alcohol -- probably have a vodka with soda water and lemon. Not the best second reintro, but I'm being realistic. I will want that cocktail (or two). I will do what I normally do when I drink, which is down the water as well. Also I'm a light-weight as is, so will have to really watch it since I've had no booze for over 40 days.

On Monday I'l be getting a little cup container of goat milk yogurt and a 1/2 gal milk to make 24 hour yogurt, which I will try out on Tuesday. Just two cups a day at most for me. Last time I reintro'd yogurt, my gut liked it at first, but then I started feeling funky/bloaty/tired and I found myself feeling much better when I took it out. BUT in hindsight, I was eating way too much of it. So on Tuesday, it will be a cup of yogurt in morning with some filberts and a couple figs, and same with lunch. 

Have a wonderful Easter, everyone! Go easy on those peeps (ugh).

xob

I am being better at staying on track with my reintro now -- ate Whole30 compliant yesterday, and had some hard cider and wine at a gather last evening with friends. I am a lot more of a lightweight now I've realized!! It was good for me to get that out of my system, and I hope to be drinking less and less as I become more in tune with my body -- cause come on, it is pure TOXIN and POISION that we put in our body when we drink alcohol. It's just so good! That's why I want it occasionally. That being said, this morning my brain is for sure a lot fuzzier - killing those brain cells I guess. That and I don't sleep as well. :unsure:

Today, I'll eat W30 with the hopes that tomorrow will be my full gluten reintro day, as I am going to the Farmers Market and there are always delicious things being cooked up with healthy ingredients, but then put atop flatbread or in a bun. I am excited for some food freedom, and nervous about how I will feel after gluten....  :wacko:

Found out I had major heart burn and acid reflux at night after a regular milk latte in the afternoon -- no bueno. Hopefully cheese wont affect me as badly. I can stick with coconut milk in everything else though - unlike LeaC I really like coconut everything!!

Still haven't weighed myself or done any after photos -- guess I just don't care as much about that stuff!! I am curious so I am sure I'll get around to it.

Keep strong and healthy, all you lovely people!

Thanks for starting this thread! I ended my W30 on Weds and yesterday went out for a long-planned bday celebration for my bf. When the restaurant plopped a free mini cake in front of him and he pushed it over to me I just couldn't stop myself. And dang, it was delicious. I also had 2 beers (several hours apart). By bedtime I was feeling crappy, tired, and really stuffed up. Woke up feeling so "hungover" today with a sinus headache. I'm thinking it's a gluten thing. 

I am going to sort of re-boot by going back to a W30 diet for a few days then try the reintro plan as prescribed. Though I suspect my only issue is gluten. Damnit. I'd seriously rather give up almost anything more than gluten.

heyheynicolep, Happy Belated Birthday!

I agree, the re-intro stage is very difficult if you are (like me), anxious for that W30 finish line. You really just want to dive head first into all those foods/drinks you've been denied for what seems like an eternity! In actual fact, this is the prime time to be finding out whether/which foods affect us negatively.

Good for you to re-set after the birthday celebration. Wouldn't it be good to find out exactly what it was that made you feel hungover and sinusy! instead of just guessing!

I have made the very same mistakes during both my re-intros. Cross pollunating 2 different re-intro foods/drinks so unsure exactly what is the cause of my symptoms.

I always start off indulging in wine at the end of the 30 days, (or earlier this time :o). I convince myself it's just just fruit & sugars & I add my preservative removing drops!!! Once I start, I find it difficult to stop as I'm an all or nothing person sadly....

Next I re-intro dairy as this is a food group I miss most. This time I've gone 4 days on dairy to really test it out. Have noticed 'slowing down of bowl movements', but I HAVE been having a lot of dairy. I also feel a little congested this morning! Maybe it's just the quantity I'm consuming?  Maybe the experienment has been tainted by the wine? I'll never know unless I get ruthless and cut out the wine...

Today I plan to go back to W30 (but I'm keeping a splash of milk in my coffee, as I can't bear to go back to coconut milk). I'd like to do at least 2 W30 days before moving onto the next food group but tomorrow is Easter Sunday and we're visiting my parents. Every time we go visit them we're W30ing so this time, I'd like to be able to just enjoy the day with them and no be restricted by food! I imagine I won't over indluge in the wrong foods, but I won't be saying 'oh, I can't eat that' also. Will then move onto 2 days of W30, get back on track and move onto another food group.

By the way, isn't Easter Sunday SWYPO Sunday?! Surely some coconut flour pancakes would be AOK on this one festive day?

Thoughts????

OK. Since my first experiment with a new food (dairy) has proven to show some digestive, inflammatory & allergy issues, I was devistated to think I'd have to resort to a plant based milk substitute. I googled processed nut milks and found that carrageenan seems to be previlant in these products so unless you make your own (I find homemade nut milk too grainy), you're hard pressed to find a product that doesn't use carrageenan as a thickener. Carrageenan is not a wonderful additive. And then there's the cheese issue (or lack thereof)....So I dug a bit deeper on the WWW and discovered that goat's milk is a much better option than cow's. Off I went to the supermarket and bought myself some organic goat milk, goat milk yoghurt and goat's cheese - I'm set!!! 

Whilst I know an over consumption of dairy isn't terrific for your body, I personally will be trialling the use of goat's milk products going forward (in small amounts).

Some light reading for anyone who is interested... http://www.gungurru.com.au/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=379:living-planet-uht-goats-milk-1ltt&Itemid=58  :wub:

Hey janeroyal!

The goat's milk was surprisingly OK. I love salt, i suppose that's why I love cheese and butter (salitier rather than sweet). the goat's milk has a salty taste which to me is more acceptable than coconut milk in coffee.

Yesterday hubby and I let our guards down completely and ate what we felt like at mum & dad's.

Naughty menu:

M1 - Hot Cross Buns with butter

M2 - pickled pork, processed microwaveable white sauce (eeew!), steamed whole new potatos, salad, LOT'S of champagne

Snack - cheese platter (goats & cow's), wafer crackers, 2 tiny chocolate eggs, nougart, quince paste, cabanossi, champagne

M3 - Oporto Chicken Burger (takeaway)

:mellow:

I felt very congested lst night, and a little constipated (probably from days of dairy consumption). Today I re-set for a couple of days W30 style, but I AM keeping the splashes of goat's milk in my coffee in the hope my body won't recognise such a small amount of dairy - I am probably wrong, but I'll just give it a try.

How is everyone else going? I'm assuming everyone is away for the Easter Long Weekend?

Here's something to give you a SWYPO Easter Boost... http://www.lifemadefull.com/2014/03/09/25-real-food-easter-basket-ideas/25-real-food-easter-basket-ideas.png.png

Archived