April Reintroductioners!!!

leaC

Hey heyheynicolep and everyone! Happy belated, heyhey, I hear you. I went to SEattle to celebrate a friend's bday and intended to reintro vodka only.BUT they had pizza and home-made streusel and then on Easter sunday a brunch with homemade gluten free bread and white wine and clams and well, I indulged in all of it.

On Sat it was: One piece pizza and one small piece streusel. Two vodka/soda waters with lime. One cobb salad with oil/lemon (at least that was almost compliant save for the shredded cheese on top). DeLISH.

Woke up next morning with a swollen finger joint in just one finger - my index. And a very gurgly gut.

THEN on Sunday, it was: clams with butter and white wine and gluten free bread. Also one eclare and some red wine last night. 

This morning my index finger is swollen and very stiff. Just that one finger - like the canary in the cave.

SO I fell off the wagon of reintro into the pig trough. As LeaC says - today it's W30 reset.

I'm back to W30 only for rest of week until body shifts back to healthy normal. Poor gut is really gurgly. Had feet cramps last night and drank pickle juice and that really helped. Better than magnesium pills, which give me diarrhea.

Will reintro dairy this weekend or maybe even wait 'till next week. Nothing else for at least a few days since I was SO naughty this weekend.

Keep on everyone! xoxb

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of a reset- I need a bit of a reset too. I guess it's what you get when you cross the end of a vastly different way of eating with PMS AND a house filled with Easter candy.  Good times.  

frogtrox, interesting observations of your reintro!

The home made maple syrup sounds incredible (& super healthy)! Yes, great that it is too sweet - you'll need less to sweeten your food, win win!

Re: the 'hangover effect', do you think it was purely the alcohol (depends how much you had really), or could it have been the oats? The congestion sounds more like a grain issue? :unsure: Vodka is made from potatos, which I assume you ate during your W30 so if you only had a couple of glasses, I'm not sure how it caused congestion? Anyone know the answer to this?

Agree with you re: label reading flexibility. I was very diligent during the W30, but now I find myself still reading labels, not choosing the foods that have 101 different ingredients, but not putting back a food that has added sugar or preservatives, if I'm consuming it in moderation and can't find a better substitute. I try to sweeten my food with 'other' sweeteners like home made date paste, maple syrup etc, but I only use the sweetener if completely necessary.

I'm also enjoying regular milk (have moved to a small amount of full fat over skim), in my coffee - sick of the taste of coconut!!! and am enjoying the occassional cup of tea with milk and a smidge of Xylitol (although may try a smidge of honey instead).

Happy Good Friday to everyone! :wub:

I've since eaten oatmeal again without the same issue, and used to drink alcohol quite a bit and was congested. I really think it's the alcohol. Which is good to learn, I guess!

No more good girl ...bad girl.   No more perfection vs. naughty.  Nuh uh. This only brings on guilt and secret eating, binge or thrill eating.  It may take longer than 30 days to break those cycles and break free of that line of thought.

Progress.  Not perfection.

When you make a conscious choice to off-road because it's a so worth it moment of your life, you have to own it and embrace it.  There's no beating yourselves up or kicking your own hiney afterwards.  It's a judgment free zone. After a Whole 30, you get to set your own boundaries without any guilt.  It's called food freedom.

No more good girl ...bad girl.   No more perfection vs. naughty.  Nuh uh. This only brings on guilt and secret eating, binge or thrill eating.  It may take longer than 30 days to break those cycles and break free of that line of thought.

Progress.  Not perfection.

I like this. I started this weekend being 'naughty' and figured I'd just go with it and deal with it Monday. I ate a half a bag of cheetos in the car yesterday!  A better mindset when I stray off course for a bit will keep me from going off the tracks. 

Embrace yourself. Boldy empower you to look at that next "so worth it moment" and follow through without remorse.  If the next bag of Cheetos starts calling your name and you decide they don't deserve to be heard...talk to the hand, the head's not listening - you're still in charge.

Frogtox - when I finished my Whole30, I was still confused about the Reintro process. Where's the maintenance plan and why doesn't Melissa tell how us how to eat going forward?  Then the Slow Roll Reintro came out and that was for me.

I still wanted to know all of the answers and the secret keys to avoiding food explosions in the future, like waaaay.  Why don't they tell us how to live and what to do to avoid falling back into bowls of pasta and bread.

Alot of thrill eaters look back into their pasts and childhoods for clues. Even after we plumb the depths of our soul for the root causes...searching the dark corners and even ugly places of the ego and super ego; hoping to find signs that point towards the key to unlock the mysteries of thrill eating...

Even if you've uncovered all of these secret keys - did it change everything for you then?

Then one day, the dawn finally lit.   A Whole 30 means taking complete responsibility for yourself every step of the way.   From Day 1 - Day 30 and waaaay into the future.   

When you choose a Whole 30, own it.   Really own it.

When you off-road, embrace it and yourself without any guilt whatsoever.

No rationalizations, no blaming the Whole 30 for all your pre or post problems.  Own everything about yourself with such a boldness that you become a roaring tiger.   

O Bliss,   O joy,  O happiness found.

Melissa @Whole9 says

February 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Yeah, I don’t know how you could POSSIBLY get “cheat but feel bad about it” out of anything we’ve ever written, ever. Also, we don’t call it “cheating” because, as we mention in this very article, you’re not doing anything wrong. And the Guide to Nutritional Off-Roading doesn’t say there is no substitute for your Mom’s cookies. If you say there isn’t a substitute, then eat the real thing–but everyone has to make their own decisions on that. Finally, there is a difference between “feeling bad” or “guilt” and “dealing with the consequence of your choices.”

Try this: http://whole9life.com/2012/07/language-of-food/

Best,
Melissa

Melissa @Whole9 says

February 19, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I’m so glad that you are all getting what we are throwing down in terms of living a sustainable, balanced Whole9 life!

Best,
Melissa

"And what about the words we use to describe our food choices?

I was so good today, I ate strict Paleo.”

I was so bad today—I ate ice cream and chocolate cake at the party.”

I cheated on my Whole30 with a glass of wine.”

“I totally failed—there were bread crumbs in that dish.”

“I’ve been behaving with my diet, no gluten or dairy.”

“I’m a disaster—I can’t stop eating sugar.”

You have no idea, the power of these words we choose to describe our food.

The Weight of Words

Linking your food choices with your self-worth is damaging and destructive. You are worth more than the food you put on your plate. Your value as a person has nothing to do with ice cream or broccoli.

Thinking of yourself as a good person or a bad person based on your food choices is damaging and destructive. You can be a good person who makes a healthy choice, or a good person who makes an unhealthy choice… but either way, you can be a good person.

Treating your diet like a jealous lover who will be critical and disapproving if you flirt with another is damaging and destructive. Food does not judge you. You are the only person with the power to do that.

Deeming yourself a success or failure (implied: in life) based solely on what you ate is damaging and destructive. Are you a success because you ate broccoli, or because you demonstrated kindness to someone?Are you a failure despite your kindness, simply because later that day, you caved to a craving?

Treating yourself like a child who needs to “be good” on their diet is damaging and destructive. What happens when a child misbehaves? They are punished. And food should never be associated with punishment.

Insulting yourself for your choices—any choices—is perhaps the most damaging and destructive behavior of all. You aren’t a mess, a disaster, a train wreck. You are a good person, struggling with a difficult issue. You are more than just the results of your struggles.

Learn a New Language

Someone asked us on Facebook recently, “I ate Paleo all day, and I know what to call that—I just say I ate ‘strict Paleo.’  But what should I call it when later, I eat some fried dough?”

Cheat?

Slip?

Fail?

What if we just called it, “eating fried dough?”

As you have changed your relationship with food, and are changing your relationship with your body, today we invite you to develop a new language around your food.

You are not good or bad based on your choices. They are simply choices.

You do not cheat, you make a choice.

You do no fail, you make a choice.

You can be a good person who made a bad choice.

There is no guilt, only consequence.

There is no punishment, only consequence.

Imagine, for a moment, that your food is just food, and that your choices are just choices—good, bad, those words describe your decisions, not you. Imagine how freeing that would be?

Your food choices are not a statement about your self-worth, your value, or your significance in this world.   Believe this, and everything changes."

Melissa @Whole9 says

July 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Okay, then here’s my take. You beat yourself up when you say, “I ate bad while I had decided not to.” This turns it into a game of willpower, of good you vs. bad you. They key is to go back to the beginning and change how you handle the situation from the start. You’ll not have very good luck getting yourself to stop thinking of yourself as “weak,” if you truly view the situation as “I made a decision and couldn’t stick to it.

So instead, you need to commit to making a conscious, deliberate, perhaps even “out loud” decision when you choose to eat off-plan. This means taking a pause before you indulge in anything – even a bite – and saying to yourself, “I am making a choice to eat this food right now, for XXX reason.” Even if the reason is a crappy one (you’re emotional, you’re looking for comfort, you’re feeling anxious), the fact that you deliberate make a CHOICE to eat off-plan means you’re not weak – you simply, in that moment, changed your mind. And that frees you from the negative self-talk.

Perhaps in retrospect you made a poor choice – “Boy, I was really upset, and eating that cake sure didn’t help.” But then you are focusing on the CHOICE you made, not YOU as a person. And you can set something up so that next time, you make a different choice, without beating you (the person) up in the meantime.

Does that maybe help?
Melissa

http://whole9life.com/2012/07/language-of-food/

Hi everyone, I did my first Whole30 in March, finishing the day before my birthday. I successfully avoided cake but had some sushi and a glass of wine to celebrate. Felt super gassy and crappy actually, which surprised me. Then everything kind of went off the rails. Hello sugar, wheat, dairy, legumes...everything within a week. It's weird how much self control I had for a whole month. Where did it go??

Now I have my old symptoms of burning eyes and tiredness, and I can't figure out what food it is beause I reintroduced everything full tilt. I used to think it was alcohol (wine) but I didn't have anything to drink yesterday. Today I had a latte at one point, and a piece of toast with my eggs. So I'm thinking it is one of those two things. Is it likely that it is something that went into my system today? Yesterday I also had wheat and dairy, plus some maple syrup (no eater candy though!)

Any suggestions? I'm leaving on a 10-day trip tomorrow and I don't think I can mentally re-start the Whole 30 right now.

Thanks!

Michelle

Any suggestions? I'm leaving on a 10-day trip tomorrow and I don't think I can mentally re-start the Whole 30 right now.

Thanks!

Michelle

Hey mlarstone, you know what, I don't think you'll work out what caused those dreaded reactions unless you clear your system and try reintro's again - properly!

If you're concerned you won't be able to commit to W30 whilst you're away, why don't you give yourself a mental break and do either another W30 or even a W7 or W14 when you get back.

I always kick myself on reintros because wine always gets involved with each food reintro so my results are always tainted to a degree. However, I have been W30ing for 2 days and I think my bodies settling back into clean gut mode. The shorter gaps you have between going off track and back to W30, the quicker your body recovers (ie: less time to do more damage to your gut). Does that make sense?

Good Luck!

I think my re-intros are about done! On Sunday I did gluten-grains at breakfast and lunch and didn't have any issues. It's been almost 48 hours (back on compliant) and I haven't noticed a reaction.

I think from here on out my plan is going to be to eat as close to Whole30 at home as I can, with a few concessions (some condiments, that sort of thing), but still no grains of either kind for the most part (think bread, noodles, etc) and definitely no dairy, but I will probably still have corn, beans every so often. I'm growing corn in my garden this year so I'm glad that doesn't upset me. I'm also going to cut out the tofu since I didn't miss it. I think the soy milk bothered me a bit after an iced coffee, but luckily many of the local coffee shops by me offer almond milk, and I have no issue with drinking black coffee if it's good coffee.

As for eating out, I'm planning on being more relaxed, but still adhering to a paleo diet unless it is a special treat.

Thanks for the birthday wishes but it was my bf's bday! And that guy has way better will power than I do. Which is why I ate HIS cake. Mine is in June and hopefully I'll have my sugar cravings and crazy sinuses under control by then so I can enjoy it without feeling like poo after. 

I have gone back to a W30 diet while introducing items one at a time. Lentils, sugar, and flour seem to be ok. I was at my brother's over the weekend and had 2 of his Bud Lights, a beer I never drink. I seemed fine. I wonder if there's something in craft beer that triggers a sinus reaction? I'll have to do some research...

For those of you that crave something creamy in your coffee - I didn't like coconut milk either. But I recently found Silk Almond Creamer. It's not compliant so only use it when you're off the W30 (it does have cane sugar but no carrageenen). I think it's delicious! I am going to stay away from soy in general, just have a bad feeling about it (I know, that doesn't have much logic, but that's how I roll).

http://silk.com/products/vanilla-almond-creamer 

Hi All 

After just one day of W30ness, I'm feeling tons better! Index finger still stiff but way less. Going to reintro 24 hour yogurt this weekend, methinks. 

Mlarstone, what leaC said. Just reboot W30 a few days and you might be amazed at how quickly the body recovers. Then start reintro over. Maybe on vaca just stay away from stuff you know is really bad and reintro stuff you suspect. In other words, don't fully check out and eat whatever, but stay conscious and maybe do a W1 every two or three days... Have FUN is the main point for vacas right? Burning eyes anad tiredness don't sound like fun, so be careful/conscious too.

I'm having fun planning my summer, aside from work, of course. I'm signing up for a music workshop in August that goes for a week and am already thinking about how I'm gonna do my food. In July there's a festival in Washington that I'm going to and that's going to be the real challenge... with people bringing all sorts of goodies to the table. 

Yesterday and today my food is non-eventful, yet tasty and filling - M1 eggs and bacon with collards, M2 chicken soup with steamed broccoli, M3 kombucha jello and tuna sal in 1/2 sweet pepper. No peanutbutter since I'm doing W30 for a few days. 

Hope you're all having a great week! xoxb

Morning everyone!

Looks as though we're all getting a bit 'relaxed' with posting about re-intro. I know I am... :mellow:

I am pleased to say I 'feel' as though my body is acting differently since completing my W27/30 this time around - in a good way. I haven't blown out with crazy processed foods, I've been eating VERY well, although my re-intros have been a little bit muddled. I think my only problem is an over-consumption of cows milk/dairy, so I've switched to goats milk dairy where possible, and try to keep that to a minimum anyway.

Hubby noticed I've been back on the wine. I told him I think the only way I'll NOT drink, is if I'm reverting to W30 days (the all or nothing approach). Looks like I'm in need of a couple of W30 days then gang!

How's everyone else going?

Leanne.

• Administrators

Hubby noticed I've been back on the wine. I told him I think the only way I'll NOT drink, is if I'm reverting to W30 days (the all or nothing approach). Looks like I'm in need of a couple of W30 days then gang!

Leanne.

I think this takes awhile to see changes. I used to be a big drinker (I don't say that proudly) and relished my glass(es) of wine at night. I'm at the point now that I'll drink a half a glass of wine and be done....not because it doesn't taste good but because I can get the same "treat myself nicely" result from Kombucha (homemade) or a good cup of tea or a decaf coffee w/ coconut milk. Wine has become just another beverage option for me and sometimes I want it and sometimes I don't.

Gluten free beer on a warm day after we've gone on a motorcycle ride though, that's another story! ;)

• Administrators

It's was nice to see you post again. My once docile (read: boring) job is in the high season right now so I'm not on here nearly as much as I want to be, but it's always nice to read and see how everyone is doing!

LeaC and Ladyshanny and Meadowlilly, I enjoyed reading your posts! It's been a few days -  had a bit of wine, small amount of gluten and ice cream over the weekend with some friends visiting from Seattle. I, too can see a dif, LeaC, on how my body is handling eating. There's definitely some gut healing going on, as last week I was really conscious with staying on a track I know is healthy for me. 

My gut reaction this morning to the weekend's festivities is less than last Monday. I was more conscious this weekend. I had FUN and didn't go hog wild.The only stiffness I'm dealing with is still in my right index finger - weird - but it isn't as intense as it was last monday. 

Wine/alcohol in general affects my mood and thinking and when I drink I can't sleep. So I woke up early sunday and was tired. I'm making a choice to have it rarely, like every other weekend (after my more recent two weekends in a row). I like what Ladyshanny said about treating self nicely with a good cup of tea or kombucha - some substitute that I enjoy thoroughly. My homemade kombucha is almost ready! 

I've decided to stick to a strict paleo regimen until my birthday weekend on April 25/26. :) This includes no alc/sugar/gluten/grain. After my b-day weekend, I plan on doing a final SIBO diet for a couple-three weeks. Thought about doing another W30 in May - and may still, dunno yet. 

Today I am looking forward to making some yummy grain free carrot ginger muffins with macadamia nut flour instead of almond flour and enjoying my 24 hour yogurt that will be ready tonight. (I can't have almond flour and ordered mac nuts online at Amazon for a great price and they are awesome! I'm grounding some into a flour and trying them with a bit of coconut flour instead of almond flour.) 

Have a good week everyone! xoxb

• Administrators

Wine/alcohol in general affects my mood and thinking and when I drink I can't sleep. So I woke up early sunday and was tired. I'm making a choice to have it rarely, like every other weekend (after my more recent two weekends in a row). I like what Ladyshanny said about treating self nicely with a good cup of tea or kombucha - some substitute that I enjoy thoroughly. My homemade kombucha is almost ready! 

Welcome to the Kombucha Kult!  LOL.  I make my own too and I could not imagine going back to having to pay for it. I get about 5 litres every 7 days. If I had to pay for that it would be over $40 per week.  Mine is $2.25 for 5 litres of homemade, custom flavoured KT.  $0.45/litre.  Can't be beat!  :D

Yes! Ladyshanny, you nailed it - kombucha's easy to make and WAY less expensive! Have you tried flavoring it yet? I haven't tried flavoring it yet, but am going to add ginger to my next batch. I just found this awesome site with kombucha how-to video - really helpful!

I've been using bottles from store bought kombucha and the caps don't tighten well enough to make it really fizzy - so I've been adding soda water to my kombucha (workin' with what I've got right now). :) Next item on my to-buy list for kombucha are better bottles/caps and a larger funnel. Yay! 

• Administrators

Yes! Ladyshanny, you nailed it - kombucha's easy to make and WAY less expensive! Have you tried flavoring it yet? I haven't tried flavoring it yet, but am going to add ginger to my next batch. I just found this awesome site with kombucha how-to video - really helpful!

I've been using bottles from store bought kombucha and the caps don't tighten well enough to make it really fizzy - so I've been adding soda water to my kombucha (workin' with what I've got right now). :) Next item on my to-buy list for kombucha are better bottles/caps and a larger funnel. Yay! 

Yes, I definitely flavour it!  I've been doing it for almost 2 years now.  Some of our favourite flavourings: mango juice & freshly grated ginger, grape juice, pomegranate & orange juices (2/3 pom, 1/3 orange), turmeric ginger, puréed raspberries. I use about 3 cups of KT and 1 cup of juice/puree.

I found with the screwtop bottles that the pressure in second fermentation would build so much that it was nearly impossible to burp the bottles, the lids were on SO tight.  I just looked at the Portland Ikea and they have lots of the bottles that I use....which are nice and cheap and work beautifully! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40227983/

bronnyd - my current go-to kombucha flavor is pomegranate/blueberry. I use a pom/blueberry juice (the POM brand) and then add frozen blueberries to it as well. I use 750ml bottles (with a narrow neck) for flavoring/second fermentation and (I'm not sure on amounts) but add the KT up to where the neck starts narrowing, add enough blueberries to do a layer on the top (at the wider part) then add juice up the neck about halfway. Maybe 1/2 cup? Ish? It's got a lovely color and will give you plenty of carbonation (still bubbles over after refrigeration, so you have to burp several times while trying to pour :D ). I do a second ferment of about 2 days with it (1/2 green 1/2 black tea for a week for the first).

Wow guys! I LOVE kombucha, but you're right, it's expensive to buy store bought buch! I've paid anywhere between $3.50 to $5.00 for a small bottle!!! Will look more into the how to videos - thanks again! xx

I went to Ikea last night and bought four Kork bottles and a couple funnels - THANK YOU Ladyshanny! Also bought a new $11 duck-down pillow (sooo comfy!), a salad spinner, and steak knives - all for just $35! That's a deal. 

Thank you as well, MrsStick for the flavoring tips. I'm going to try my first flavored batch with ginger and huckleberries picked last summer! They're thawing out now. :)

YAY leaC for checking out how to! It seems a little daunting at first, but really is fun. It took me a couple tries to make the first batch - when I first tried, it was in the middle of winter a few years back and I kept the batch in a closet that was too cold. The scobies molded. But now I have several healthy scobies. I'd give you one, leaC if I could send it through the internet. .... Give it a decade and that may be possible. ;) 

So, how often should I burp the bottles? And burping is just opening them and closing them again to release some pressure? In my last few batches I guess the screw lids weren't tight enough to make fizz. Also I didn't realize you keep it room temp and put them in fridge right away, which also might have contributed to flatness. It was still good with soda water though.

I'm getting so into it now, need to do it RIGHT. :)

• Administrators

So, how often should I burp the bottles? And burping is just opening them and closing them again to release some pressure? In my last few batches I guess the screw lids weren't tight enough to make fizz. Also I didn't realize you keep it room temp and put them in fridge right away, which also might have contributed to flatness. It was still good with soda water though.

For second ferment I put in teh bottles, cap and then place back in my dark, warm place.  Assuming I put them on in the evening, I burp the next morning (usually not much pressure) and the second morning and then on the third morning I don't burp at all, I just leave them out and then put them in the fridge that afternoon when I get home from work.  The amount of carbonation you get also, I find, depends on what you use for flavouring.  Mine always have at least a touch of "texture" to them but it varies on the quantity and texture of the bubbles.

When I burp those Ikea bottles I push down on the white topper, lift the lock and then lift the hand pushing down on the cap juuuust enough to let it hiss for barely half a second.   Just enough to avoid explosions but not enough to let all the pressure out.  ;)

Archived