Kombucha

crossfitkatie

Other fermented foods: sauerkraut (the ones in the refrigerated section), kimchi, and even some pickles (again, in the refrigerated section).

In all cases, read ingredient labels carefully to check for compliance.

• Moderators

Other fermented foods: sauerkraut (the ones in the refrigerated section), kimchi, and even some pickles (again, in the refrigerated section).

In all cases, read ingredient labels carefully to check for compliance.

Just a quick note -- not all pickles in the refrigerated section are fermented. Bubbies brand is, Wild Brine brand is, I'm sure there are others -- but for instance, Claussen and Boar's Head both make pickles that are in the refrigerated section, but are not fermented.  When you read the ingredients, if they list vinegar as an ingredient, they're not fermented. Fermented vegetables (pickles or sauerkraut or anything else) will contain vegetables, salt, water, and seasonings, no vinegar.

I've made kombucha. You need to dissolve a whole cup of sugar into the tea to prepare it. Is the idea that, because the scoby converts it all to a fermented state, it is no longer non-compliant? There is also a trace amount of alcohol in it. By and large, it can't be as bad as chocolate cake!

Is the idea that, because the scoby converts it all to a fermented state, it is no longer non-compliant?

Yep, exactly. If there is sugar added during the second ferment, it's not Whole30-compliant, but the sugar added to feed the SCOBY is fine.

Hey there Lisairis and Jent103, thanks for the info!  

I make my own Kombucha as well and was wondering about that 1 cup of sugar that I boil before brewing the tea and adding the scoby...then the 2 week fermentation.  I don't add anything to it after that, just pour into a pitcher and enjoy every day.  Is it compliant with the Whole30?  "...the second ferment..." in your response Jent103 threw me off, I don't ferment it twice (that I know of!) and don't want to start this month off on the wrong foot.

Thank you!!!

Erin

• Moderators

Hey there Lisairis and Jent103, thanks for the info!

I make my own Kombucha as well and was wondering about that 1 cup of sugar that I boil before brewing the tea and adding the scoby...then the 2 week fermentation. I don't add anything to it after that, just pour into a pitcher and enjoy every day. Is it compliant with the Whole30? "...the second ferment..." in your response Jent103 threw me off, I don't ferment it twice (that I know of!) and don't want to start this month off on the wrong foot.

Thank you!!!

Erin

This is fine. A second ferment would be taking some of your kombucha, adding fruit or juice or spices or herbs for flavor, and putting it in an air tight container, where the flavor will infuse and carbonation will happen. It's not necessary, but some people like the flavor and the fizz. Some commercial brands add sugar or stevia at this point, and that would not be compliant.

Archived