So frustrated

Beyondthis, if my impression was wrong, I apologize. It's simply that you mentioned the flat belly a couple of times, and then with the statement "Woke up this morning feeling fantastic, and with a flat belly", it just seemed that the feeling fantastic was in significant part due to the flat belly.  My son has a good friend struggling with anorexia and I'm a bit hyper-aware of certain statements.  A flat belly or a thigh gap are the types of things she would fixate on, despite being at a good weight (and later, at a dangerously low weight, but STILL not happy with her body).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone - I'm on day 30 of my first Whole30, but am having some similar problems. My question is - can FODMAP/high histamine foods that never bothered you before suddenly give you horrible digestive issues after you do a Whole30?? I've never had problems like I'm having now! Can eating clean make you sensitive to those foods?

thanks for any help!

Hi everyone - I'm on day 30 of my first Whole30, but am having some similar problems. My question is - can FODMAP/high histamine foods that never bothered you before suddenly give you horrible digestive issues after you do a Whole30?? I've never had problems like I'm having now! Can eating clean make you sensitive to those foods?

thanks for any help!

Hi there emcj

The short answer is - No. This way of eating will NOT make you more sensitive - but much more aware of sensitivities that existed previously that you may have ignored.

Let's say you felt bloated all the time.  But that was your normal.  So you weren't aware of the bloating.  So now that you have cleaned up your eating habbits it has made you more aware of makes you uncomfortable.

Another way to explain it is this:  Let's say I've been poking you in arm constantly for years.  It's come to the point where you don't even notice that I am poking you in the arm - because it is part of your normal.  One day I stop.  I decided to go on holidays for a month. So during this time, the callous that may have formed, and the bruise underneath will have healed.  Now it is just soft skin.  I come back from my holidays and resume my poking - what is your first reaction going to be?  Owwwww!  Why are you doing that?  I simply tell you this is something I have always done.  So once something is allowed to heal - you are going to feel it.

Trust me - I have been doing eating whole 9/30 style for almost 3 years now.  I am still discovering things.  Back in January I discovered that I have issues with FODMAPs and I need to follow an AIP type eating plan.  I did allow myself to throw a fit and feel sorry for myself initially.  And then I rejoiced because I was able to relieve chronic symptoms and I feel much better for it.

Thanks Carlaccini. Unfortunately for me it's way beyond feeling bloated... Basically every 3-4 days during the whole30, I couldn't leave the house b/c I'd have to stay close to a bathroom... breakfast went straight through my system. This has never happened to me before and it only lasted during the Whole30. The first week I thought I was just detoxing, but it never stopped. It had no correlation to the foods I ate - one day I would be fine and the next day I would eat the same foods but have terrible cramps/diarrhea. It would happen every morning for 2-3 days, then go away for 3-4 days, then come back, then go away again... yucky cycle for a month. Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm not feeding the bad gut flora sugar any more, and I don't have enough good gut microbes, so I'm having trouble digesting food?

Archived