Shelly's journey

tristar00

Hi, thanks for stopping by.  Feel free to read, but this is just my thoughts & food log.

I'm wrapping up my 1st Whole30, today (4/1) is day 26, I'm going off the rails for Easter dinner on Saturday, going right back on program Sunday.

Sunday would actually be my "official" day 30.  And I've joined a "Whole30 4/6 Start" group on FB.

There have been some interesting connections I have made.  It would appear that dates bring out a very nasty sugar dragon.  Which stinks, I love dates.  But I guess they have to go.  And goodness sugar is in EVERYTHING.

I admit I am frustrated with the program, I have gained weight, and haven't felt the "tiger blood".  

I'll be posting my meals, maybe that will help me see more connections.

Today:

Meal 1 = sausage & egg casserole (3 eggs with a bit of coconut milk, 1/2 cup sausage, mushrooms and butternut squash), whole avocado, grape tomatoes, coffee with coconut milk & cashew milk

Meal 2 = 1 chicken thigh, artichokes, green & wax beans, olives

Day 27 here.

Last night's Meal 3 = 3 eggs cooked in ghee, asparagus and a handful of cashews.  Not the best planned out meal, but had a late appointment, and making the peep cake.  So, I went for easy.

Today:

Meal 1 = 3 hard boiled eggs, grape tomatoes & almonds, coffee with coconut & cashew milk

Meal 2 = spaghetti squash with meat sauce, olives.

snack before leaving work = asparagus wrapped in prosciutto

big NSV last night, didn't try any of the cake, not one crumb, didn't lick the batter or bowl!

have salmon planned for dinner, never cooked it before, gotta figure out something - maybe grill it

brought my clothes to run at lunch today, shoot, I did not bring a pre-workout snack, oh well.

4/3  Day 28

well, I shoulda known, the peep cake won last night.  it really was like an addict getting a high.  And today I'm cranky with a headache.  coincidence?  i think not!

Meal 3 last night ( minus the cake, frosting & peeps) = salmon (still don't like, but good i tried it again) & some cashew butter

Today:

meal 1 = sausage, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, cashew butter & banana, coffee with coconut milk & cashew milk

meal 2 = sausage & egg casserole (3 eggs with a bit of coconut milk, 1/2 cup sausage, mushrooms and butternut squash), whole avocado

the journey continues

yeah, I've been missing for a few days..........it hasn't been pretty....

Sugar dragon bad bad bad.........and I totally caved on it

It dawned on me, I've been eating fruit, I wonder if that was feeding the tantrums.  I connected dates to it last week...I wont have any fruit today, see how it goes.  man, too bad, i love fruit.

Well, I've been "on the wagon" since about 7 o'clock last night.  

last night's dinner:  chicken sausage, sweet potato, snap peas

today:

Meal 1 = 3 hard boiled eggs, spinach, sweet potato & grape tomatoes

Meal 2 = going out to lunch, will do the best I can

I continue to gain weight...but I'm sticking to it.....it's about learning the connections and dealing with my habits

So, how do you know you're gaining weight? Have you been weighing in? Since that's one of the no-nos of the program I've not been weighing but I simulateously feel like my belly looks flatter yet I feel heavier. Bah. I'm only on Day 11 and I've reached a pretty strong level of frustration after feeling mostly very positive and excited!

I never felt the tiger blood either when I did my past Whole30's, but I certainly got healthier and felt better mentally even though it took going off road to notice it.  I'm hoping that in time, I'll get some good gut healing and then some good tiger blood.  The dates you ate triggered the sugar dragon!  Eeek.  Amazing how sensitive our sugar loving brains can be!  

This is my 2nd round, I weighed in-between. And all my pants are tight.  :(

But I am continuing on.

Andrea - It can be frustrating, but I do have to say there are other positives.  I have less joint inflammation and my nails seem super strong. And I do sleep really well.

This round is proving tougher than my 1st one, which wrapped up just this past Saturday.  

The forums have been a great help.

well, my suspicions are proving true.  Fruit brings out the sugar cravings.  :angry:   I did not have any fruit yesterday and I did not want sweets, chocolate, etc.  

I joined "my paleo pal" (iphone app), neat idea - kinda like an instagram for paleo/whole30/AIP, etc.  cool to scroll thru and see other people's ideas.

meal 3 yesterday: sauteed turnip, red pepper, snap peas, onion, ground beef & spices, then banana mashed with cashew butter & cocoa

Today: 

meal 1: eggs scrambled with coconut milk, compliant bacon, spinach, mushrooms & turnip, coffee with compliant cashew milk

meal 2: chicken breast, spinach, zucchini, sauerkraut with a drizzle of avocado oil

carry on!

Well, I'm back.  Been on program, just haven't been posting.

Another connection potentially made:  broccoli and gi issues.  For years & years I have an issue of having to "go" when I run, I have tried a multitude of things, none of which showed any relief.  I read a bit on the low FODMAP diet, so I'm trying Whole30 food list for that.  I had a bad issue Sunday, and I had eaten broccoli & sauerkraut the day before.  So, I'm eliminating them both and see what happens.  I would be so very happy if that issue would go away.  

Also, due to the fact that I had to buy new clothes for my upcoming vacation, I am now staying w/in my Weight Watchers allotted points per day.  Completely following Whole30's meal template, food list & guidelines.  These 10 - 15lbs HAVE to go!

And, I finally had success making the mayo.   :D

Meals today:

M1 = egg casserole with compliant sausage, coconut milk, spinach, peppers, turnip, coffee with compliant cashew milk

M2 = spaghetti squash with diced tomatoes, compliant sausage, almonds

M3 = homemade turkey burger with mayo, veggies TBD

Congratulations on making the mayo!!!!  

We have a friend who is training for a triathlon who always has to "go" when he starts to run.  How darn inconvenient!!  I often have to "go" when I put on my jacket to head out the door, but that's a pretty easy one to work with.  I will just put on my jacket a bit early :) and get things done.  Kinda funny.  Hope the broccoli and sauerkraut are the ticket.

Have you tried the Natural Calm?  I have always been a very irregular person in that area, but now (I sound like a commercial)) I have a tsp of Natural Calm in hot water before bed and things seem to be more regular - not like clockwork, but so much better.  When we traveled and I didn't have it with me, I really noticed the difference.  

Bummer on the fruit triggering the sugar dragon.  I bet I'm more sensitive than I realize. 

Today:

M1 = 3 hard boiled eggs w/ Whole30 mayo, with spinach & tomatoes, coffee with Silk Cashew milk

M2 = chicken layered with eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, spinach and diced tomatoes, drizzled with avocado oil

M3 = not sure yet, maybe aidell's chicken sausage and veggies

Worked WW last night, we sell so much processed stuff, and I don't even want it anymore.  That's a big NSV for me.  I've always loved all the junk food.  

Looked on Delta's app - no Paleo meal option.  I will go to main site on web, and see if it lists anything about their special meals.  The vegetarian option is likely to have soy/tofu/beans.....gluten free, who knows........well, I'll do the best I can.  I may order some RX bars, but I'm leery to order a case of them as I've never tried them.  Maybe I'll just get some Larabars, I know I like them, just need to read read read!

Last night's dinner was indeed 2 Aidell's sausage's with parsnips sauteed in ghee.  Parsnips have points??? are you kidding me??? I wasn't overweight because of parsnips.  Oh well, just another case of read before you eat!

Got a run in this morning  :)   Still had the GI issue :angry: but everything I read about the low FODMAP says it takes awhile.  And yesterday afternoon & last night was a bit of a train wreck food wise.  Live & learn, it was one day in my life.  Long standing habits die hard.

I had a Larabar - the cashew & date one.  Delish & compliant, however, the sugar in the dates just sent me over the edge.  No more dates for me  :(

Today's food:

post workout:  hard boiled egg

M1 = egg white fritatta with compliant pork sausage, turnip, butternut squash, spinach & peppers, grape tomatoes on the side, coffee with cashew milk

M2 = spaghetti squash, compliant pork sausage, diced tomatoes, eggplant, zuccini and yellow squash, almonds on the side.

M3 = homemade turkey burger and some veggies tbd

Yesterday's learning:  need to make sure lunch is big enough & has enough fat!  And having some nuts in my desk was a savior.  While I know it wasn't an optimal option, having some cashew & coconut kept me on plan & compliant and held me over til dinner.

Had a check-in w/ Dr - awesome stats: 102/68 BP & 64 for resting heart rate.  :-)  Didn't like the # on the scale, but I'm working that.

Rather sleepy this morning, maybe its that I awoke at 415 and had a tough time falling back asleep combined with the dreary weather.

Today's food:

M1 = egg white frittata w/ compliant sausage & veggies, coffee with cashew milk

M2 = chicken, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes & homemade mayo, banana w/ cocoa & sunbutter

M3 = probably last of the homemade turkey burgers, sweet potato & veggies

Last night's dinner was indeed 2 Aidell's sausage's with parsnips sauteed in ghee.  Parsnips have points??? are you kidding me??? I wasn't overweight because of parsnips.  Oh well, just another case of read before you eat!

Parsnips have a (slightly misleading) glycemic index of 98 which is almost equivalent to pure sugar (100) which is why they'd have points. But, on that note, why on earth are you counting WW points on a whole30 when the two plans are such polar opposites? I'm curious....

I am doing Whole30, however, staying w/in my WW points, as I gained about 5lbs doing Whole30 strictly.  I am following the template, food list, guidelines, etc.  What I'm doing really is watching what veggies are starchier (and hence have "points"). 

I understand I'm not doing a strict Whole30 by this.  But I do like many of the connections I've made between food & my body, and wish to continue that journey.

I'm off the junk, the sugar, the dairy, etc.  

I actually don't find them to be as opposite as I first thought. Yes, WW can be filled with processed junk, but it is easily done with whole foods also.

I like the support and ideas here.  And the tough love that's dished out is great too!

Tristar...trying to combine the two programs will add to your food frustration.

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5973 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Thank you for asking!

Most people lose weight during a Whole30. Eating only healthy foods tends to make that happen. However, the Whole30 is not a weight loss program, it is a health improvement program. It really works best if you focus on trying to improve your health and let the weight take care of itself. Therefore, it takes some trust on your part that this program is good for you and will yield good results. Unfortunately, if you focus on weight loss, you can mess up your Whole30 and either slow weight loss or hurt your health.

The key to this program is eating as much as is recommended in the meal template. If you try to speed weight loss by eating less food or less fat, it interferes with your hormones achieving a normal, healthy balance and often backfires. Here is a link to the meal template... http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

Do not count points, track calories, or weigh your food. The replacement for that behavior is following the meal template and paying attention to your feelings. If you try to do both, you will fail at following the meal template and paying attention to your feelings. They may not seem your best choice now, but they really are what works for a lifetime of health and happiness.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6944-weight-loss/

I could pull up more links and articles written by Melissa and Dallas, why it's important to leave all of the counting out of a Whole 30.  There are former WW leaders here who've left all of the point, calorie, macro, micro counting behind.

Many others have used the W30 for a diet and have lost 10-15 lbs during their Whole 30 and immediately regained everything back the following month. It's so worth it to keep breaking these cycles of dieting.  The Whole 30 is a plan to deal with the mind warp that the scales, dieting, measuring and counting throws at us.  Start a journal.  Write your feelings, your fears, your hopes and general thoughts on everything.  It will be an invaluable tool.  It will keep your hands and mind busy during the inevitable rough patches.

Eating whole foods without measuring, weighing, counting is exactly the strategy I've used and I swear it breaks the dieting cycles and makes all of the difference in the world.  It will help you really reach for happiness every day.

If you edge your way down slowly, you'll have a better shot at getting there and staying there with new food habits.   Falling back into a dieting mode is society's answer but climbing out is transcendent.

On a personal note,  it's very ironic that I have many relatives who are WW Legacy Lifers....one started 40 years ago.  None of them have maintained their goal.  Some go every week, weighing, measuring and counting - some have hit their goals with a glancing blow for a short amount of time, bouncing off of it and falling backwards into old habits.  Then it's more bouncing back from rebound weight gain and starting another dieting cycle. 

So much of this stuff is mental.  Consider putting all of that up on the shelf and out of your way for only 30 days.

On a personal note,  it's very ironic that I have many relatives who are WW Legacy Lifers....one started 40 years ago.  None of them have maintained their goal.  Some go every week, weighing, measuring and counting - some have hit their goals with a glancing blow for a short amount of time, bouncing off of it and falling backwards into old habits.  Then it's more bouncing back from rebound weight gain and starting another dieting cycle. 

So much of this stuff is mental.  Consider putting all of that up on the shelf and out of your way for only 30 days.

I'd add to this that WW wasn't working for YOU personally and that's why you came here. WW can & does lead to disordered eating, and it can take a body a whole lot longer than 30 days to heal from that, for the hormones to settle, and for health/weight to improve. By counting points/restricting calories your body starts to fear that there's a shortage & it instinctively holds on to what it's got. Start nourishing it properly & it'll quite possibly panic, think to itself 'wait, is this food supply permanent? or should I hoard some just in case of another shortgae...?' and there you have your weight gain.

Whilst you *think* what you're doing is healthy it's not giving you the psychological chance to break those food habits from your past, and by denying yourself strachy veg, purely becasue of their point value, you are denying yourself valuable nutrition - and the kind of carbs that help to improve your mood.

Have you read ISWF? I really think you need to give things a chance.

Food Logs are not moderated, if you want Mod expertise/recommendations - ask and they will come.  Some are now using logs for dieting or simply a food diary that doesn't resemble a Whole 30 in any way, shape or form. This is due to hearing about the Whole 30 by word of mouth or diving into the program without the basic tools to make it to the 30 Day finish line in style.

It takes longer than 21 days to create a new habit and break an old one.   Here's Melissa's post from April 12, 2015.

Whole30

Why 30 days?

Despite the common belief that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit, habit research actually shows the time frame is much longer--on average, 66 days! And the harder or more emotional connection you have to the behavior, the longer it takes... so when it comes to food, that time frame may even be longer.

We could have created a Whole66 or a Whole90 to make sure the new habits you're building with the program settle in, but that's a pretty high barrier to entry. The Whole30 rules can be intimidating! Many of you would look at the program and think, I can't do that for two or three months.

We could have created a Whole10 or Whole14, to make it really accessible. Lots of people would say, "Yeah, I can do that!" But for those of you who have done the Whole30, how much fun are your first 10 days on the program? That time frame wouldn't bring most of you any of the Whole30 "magic," but it sure would give you some unpleasant effects as your body transitioned.

The Whole30 is just right--totally accessible (I can do anything for 30 days!), while long enough to bring stunning benefits in energy, sleep, mood, medical conditions, cravings, and self-esteem.

- Melissa Hartwig, co-creator of the ‪#‎Whole30‬

One more thing about rebound weight gain and why that happens after a Whole 30.....because of dieting.  Dieters who do what they've always done will get what they've always gotten - Starting a Diet and then immediately returning to thrill eating after 30 days of "dieting", only to restart another diet cycle for another 30 days.... to compensate for the rebound weight gain.   This may go on for months until the dawn is finally lit.  If they stick with this routine, it becomes so frustrating that they throw the towel in and completely give up on themselves or they give up on dieting cycles.

And yet, some will continue to pick and choose parts of a Whole 30 to add to their own dieting soup.  It's not whole or complete but applying the basics will result in weight loss.  It's the aftermath, not having the head tools going forward where the rubber really meets the road.

The sooner you can work on creating a new habit - may take 66 or 86 days, the quicker your body, mind and spirit can heal from the effects of years of dieting.  Dieting is throwing everything up against the wall to see what sticks like spaghetti noodles.   Letting those noodles fall off the walls and engaging the entire being with the Whole 30 process is the solid plan going forward that will get you off of the dieting merry-go-round.

Archived