Sue F - Whole30 Log

Whole30Sue

Day 19 -

Busy day traveling and basketball games.

M1: scrambled eggs, mixed greens, potato hash

M2: at whataburger, garden salad, no cheese, my dressing, brought in small container of cold cooked shrimp, cashews

M3: restaurant, salad with boiled egg and avocado, my dressing

Banana

M4: leftover meatloaf, scrambled egg, half avocado with olive oil drizzle

Far from perfect, but compliant.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 20 -

Unfathomable that I have made it this far. Might be seeing signs of turn around. More energy today.

Messy morning, unorganized and ended up just eating a banana in the busyness.

Coffee with coconut milk

Banana

M1: taco meat, salad, avocado

Spoonful of coconut butter

M2: spaghetti squash meat sauce casserole, roasted carrots

Plan for tomorrow. M1 usual, m2 leftover casserole, m3 italian pork roast, carrots

Day 21 -

Today got off to a better start. Put Well Fed2 italian pork roast in crockpot and had a proper breakfast. Did not seem the least bit odd to have carrots for breakfast.

M1: scrambled eggs, chicken apple sausage, roast carrots

Coffee with coconut milk

M2: leftover spaghetti casserole, roasted carrots

Macadamia nuts. (Oh man, I have already decided that these are food with no breaks for me, for some reason decided to test this, cannot stop.)

M3: italian pork roast (whole family loved it), sauteed butternut squash

Tomorrow plan: m1 usual, m2 leftovers, M3 tex-mex casserole.

Finally got new dishwasher!!!!! Yea!!!!

Day 22 -

M1: scrambled eggs with onion, bell pepper, prosciutto. Mixed greens. Few apple slices.

Coffee with coconut milk

M2: leftover spaghetti casserole, leftover butternut squash, few pickle slices

Orange

M3: Tex-Mex casserole (loaded with veggies, very good), roasted veggies

Tomorrow: m1: left over tex-mex casserole with fried egg on top. m2: left overs m3: attempt at pepper steak? Headed to MD Anderson for injection. Have lunch at home. Taking left overs with me and salad dressing.

Day 23 -

Traveling today to MD Anderson for post cancer treatment. Packed a lunch in cooler in case I can't find something. Looking forward to shopping in Houston. My little town has very little available. Been ordering things over internet. Going to try to find compliant bacon and Hawaiian salt, want to try nom nom's kalua pig.

I did good. When they took my vitals I stood backward on the scale and asked the nurse not to tell me the number. I was tempted to know. Blood pressure readings were better 135/88.

M1: half link of chicken apple sausage with sour kraut, two fried eggs with mango salsa. (Not enough veggies)

Few cashews.

M2: chipotle - lettuce, carnitas, guacamole, salsa

Cashews and banana

M3: left over texmex casserole and roasted veggies

Spoonful coconut manna

Not a perfect eating day, but that seems to happen when I travel. Really need to work on the nuts and fruit. Long drive, got little bit sleepy, but not too much. Felt much better today. Found a better way that helped me use the CPAP all night, I think my sleep apnea issues are affecting how I feel and interfering with my gaining energy from this program.

Tomorrow: m1: egg scramble m2: leftovers, m3: attempt to modify pepper steak recipe.

Day 24 -

M1: texmex casserole (full of veggies), two fried eggs, hotdog franks

M2: Jason's deli salad, boiled eggs, oil & vinegar

Spoonful coconut butter

Few macadamia nuts

M3: pepper steak, sweet potato, roast carrots

So far today, the pain in my legs has finally lifted!!!!

The pain never returned!! That makes a pain that started day 1, lasted 23 days, is now gone! Energy level is better too. Got much more done today. Feeling proud that I didn't give up through the discomfort and trusted this program. Now maybe I can focus on some fine tuning. Still snacking and "needing" nuts.

Tomorrow: m1 usual, m2 leftovers, m3 taco meat and veggies.

Lots of activity coming up. Need to plan. Need to do something in crockpot for Saturday. Maybe the nom nom kalua pig. Couldn't find the right salt, but found a substitute.

Day 26 -

M1: fried eggs, spinach, sweet potato hash

M2: leftover pork roast, carrots, sweet potato hash, avocado

M3: chocolate chili, sweet potato, okra, brussel sprouts, broccoli

Orange

Crazy busy day. Thirteen year old daughter slumber party tonight.

Day 27 -

Survived the night of thirteen year old girls screaming. You know how when a thirteen year old can act like a broody teenager with their face in their phone, and then they can turn around and act like the fun loving kid that is still in them...well I am so happy to say that this group of girls put their phones down and played like the kids they are...volleyball, basketball, swimmimg, hide and seek (or some modern version in the dark in the house where they are looking for a "dead" body) all night. Such a blessing. I guess I will hear today if there ever was any girl drama.

Ok. So now for the party food. They had all the typical junk, pizza, cake, ice cream, chips etc. It was slightly tempting but not bad. I even made cupcakes for them to decorate. My husband ate what they ate and felt miserable when we went to bed.

I'm approaching day 30 and having thoughts about the next step. I definitely need to keep going. I think my next evaluation will be at day 60. Several reasons. Most of my health problems will be greatly eleviated by weight loss. I am 5'6" and over 200lbs. Second reason is that I am not emotionally ready to add back in grains or sugar. I don't miss alcohol or legumes. I've gotten completely used to coconut milk and no cheese. But I think grains and sugar are going to do a whammy spiral on me. I need to be in a stronger place. Therefore it is my decision to go to 60 days.

My funny analogy: I can see where the term "cheat" came from. I am definitely a one guy kind of woman. Been married 22 years. If I think back to my dating days, when I didn't have a boyfriend, any guy I encountered would be of interest, you know, a possibility. Subconsciously judging "yay or nay." However, when I did have a boyfriend, those other guys didn't even seem to exist. I went about my day barely even noticing them. Completely off limits, so why even ponder or notice them. This is how I feel about the non-compliant foods. They are off-limits. I don't go there, so I barely notice them. So how, post whole30, do I have them occasionally? Going to be a learning experience. It is so much easier just to consider them a non-possibility.

M1: two fried eggs, avocado, spinach with hotdog franks cut up in it

M2: chili over zucchini

M3: nom nom paleo's kalua pig and okra, bacon, rotel

Spoonful coconut butter

Hi there,

Congratulations on your fantastic progress.  Just stopping by to say hello.  I (re)started my second whole 30 yesterday, and am doing things differently this time by joining in here on the W30 forums.  I have been primal/paleo since Nov-13 and hang out on the MDA forum where they understand but it isn't quite the same as focusing on just W30 and its 'rules'.

Interesting to hear you are going to go to sixty days.  I was technically at days 17-19 when I had something small but non-compliant on each of the days before declaring my restart.

Personally, my only add back will be dairy and a little dark chocolate and occasional red wine.

Best wishes,

Dawn

Day 28 -

m1: scrambled eggs, pico, avocado, two strawberries (low on veggies I know)

M2: pork roast, avocado

M3: 4pm, two compliant hotdog franks, sauerkraut, sweet potato hash, cashews

M4: chili, sweet potato hash, spinach, cashews

Oh man, not having my veggies with breakfast and lunch, and the lunch being too small while running late for a meeting, left me starving at 4pm. Really affected my day. Went to the store and restocked so this won't happen tomorrow.

Day 29 -

M1: fried egg, 2 slices compliant bacon, spinach with compliant hotdog frank slices, avocado

Coffee

M2: texmex casserole (taco meat cooked into a casserole with onion, bell pepper, zucchini, parsnips, carrots, and shredded sweet potato on top.)

M3: meat sauce with spaghetti squash and olives

Spoonful coconut butter

Boy, today would have been one of those days in my past where I would have eaten a lot of chocolate, and then some. I agreed to take on a board chair position and had to lead a board meeting for the first time. I am a classic introvert, but I know I can get over these "out of my comfort zone" activities with time, so I do them, but they usually come with lots of bad eating. That outlet was not even an option today. I felt all the usual stomach flipping nerves, but never thought to turn to food to ease the discomfort. This is a HUGE change. Wow. So happy.

Tomorrow is day 30. I am going to weigh, but then continue on to 60 days. I have so many health problems, my body needs more time to heal. My seventeen daughter is going to start eating paleo with me next week. Looking forward to sharing this journey with her.

Yes Dawn, thanks. My day was better. So glad to hear yours was too. I had my more usual levels of veggies and it definitely made for a better day. Tried my first attempt at doing a cook-up. Made a TexMex casserole that is full of veggies and taco meat. A breakfast casserole. The fixings for a spaghetti squash dish, and Caramelized onions to go on top of sweet potatoes. And homemade mayo to go with tuna. Want to try to make it into ranch dressing too. Hope you have another good day tomorrow.

Day 30 -

Trying to treat today as any other day. Emotions are way off. Stress from yesterday's meeting. Having what Brene Brown calls a "vulnerability hangover" when you regret putting yourself out there. Dad fell from ladder, scary for a while, but he's ok. Disappointed that I only lost 6 pounds when I weighed this morning. Trying to remind myself of all the benefits I am getting. I have lots of compliant food ready for today, it's just going to be a bumpy one. Going to non-food treat myself a little I think.

M1: breakfast casserole, spinach, avocado, two strawberries

Cashews

M2: tuna, homemade mayo, apple, pickle, sweet potato hash, grilled onions

M3: cabbage and beef stew

M4: cabbage and beef stew

Day 31 -

Doing better today.

M1: breakfast casserole (ground beef, onion, bell pepper, egg, shredded sweet potato) with fried egg on top, half avocado

M2: leftover texmex casserole, sweet potato hash, chili, half avocado, spoonful mayo

Coffee, pistachios

M3: texmex casserole, avocado

That is a great loss.  :) Much better than you would be doing on a conventional low fat, high carb diet, and you are getting to each much better food.

Added to that are all the additional benefits that we know eating this way brings. And all the things that we are preventing from going wrong that any other way of eating would bring.

How did you find Whole 30 and have you read anything about other (similar) lifestyles like paleo or primal? I only mention those because that is where I got my introduction to the existence of Whole 30.

Day 30 -

Trying to treat today as any other day. Emotions are way off. Stress from yesterday's meeting. Having what Brene Brown calls a "vulnerability hangover" when you regret putting yourself out there. Dad fell from ladder, scary for a while, but he's ok. Disappointed that I only lost 6 pounds when I weighed this morning. Trying to remind myself of all the benefits I am getting. I have lots of compliant food ready for today, it's just going to be a bumpy one. Going to non-food treat myself a little I think.

I'm glad your father is alright.   Oooo, folks and ladders.   I'm just happy he's not hurt.   The  VH...yep,   I can relate to that one.  :D Oh, brother.

Six lbs.  That's packs alot of punch.   It's more than wonderful  and be over the moon.   Going slower is the very best way to keep it from returning.  I no longer care  how fast it goes.   I only care about sticking the landing...and can I stick that landing 3 years from now.  Fast doesn't mean a thing.  I've witnessed fast with big numbers.  I've also witnessed rebound weight gain come back twice as fast.   Fast is overrated.

Dawn and MeadowLily

Thanks for encouragement!! I am trying really hard to be patient. Funny how emotions can take over reason. I am settling in to thinking that this way of eating will be a permanent change, so I assume more improvements are to come.

I have played around with semi-paleo in the past. But I still used artificial sweeteners and made smoothies and pancakes, etc. Nothing this strict. So that led me here. The whole30 has definitely made a huge difference in my ability to control what I am eating, how much I plan my meals and settled my cravings. Awesome benefits, I know.

Thanks again!

I am definitely doing this the slow way. From Jan to Jun 2013 I lost 35lbs with Weightwatchers.  The next 32lbs has taken me since November 2013 until now.  I have had many plateaus along the way and after the 14lbs I lost on a Whole 30 last June/July I have pretty much gained and lost the same ten pounds over and over again.  That time has included a couple of partial Whole 30 restarts and a semi serious restart that last 17 days before I caved again.

However, my commitment to paleo/primal and occasional W30, deepens every day - as you say this will be a permanent change.  So I am half way there and I really do want to continue all the way to a healthy BMI because the overweight is adding to my risk factors.  But in taking almost two and one half years to get where I am I know I will not be going back to those higher weights. 

My commitment to this Whole 30 is because I am ready for the next stage in the journey.

Hope you are having a great day :)

Dawn and MeadowLily

Thanks for encouragement!! I am trying really hard to be patient. Funny how emotions can take over reason. I am settling in to thinking that this way of eating will be a permanent change, so I assume more improvements are to come.

I have played around with semi-paleo in the past. But I still used artificial sweeteners and made smoothies and pancakes, etc. Nothing this strict. So that led me here. The whole30 has definitely made a huge difference in my ability to control what I am eating, how much I plan my meals and settled my cravings. Awesome benefits, I know.

Thanks again!

If you  want the Whole 30 for the BIG WIN, you cannot think in terms of fast. 

Fast means loss of muscle mass.  It's difficult to release weight without losing muscle mass right along with it.

Weight loss is only half of the journey.  You have to build yourself back up again.  I'm not only talking about the mental stuff but doing cardio with strength training.   It's the only way to build yourself back up while releasing weight at the same time.

Feelings are always legitimate because they are your feelings.  We can look forward to eating.  It's such an important part of life.  I do not think there is anything wrong with that.

We're just looking forward to really healthy food.  Food is good medicine if we choose the right foods. We can  look forward to meal times.

No problem-o in my book because I've learned to make good food choices work for me.  Don't cry because it did not happen fast.   SMILE BECAUSE IT HAPPENED.   

Thanks for sharing your history Dawn. I need to get into the mental state, and accept, that this is going to be a long journey. I have been eating badly since childhood. I did Weight Watchers a long time ago, maybe 8 years ago. I found all my WW books and material while cleaning this week and threw them in the trash. It was a nice reminder that I would rather get healthy without depriving myself. Maybe we can help each other stay committed.

Thanks!

Archived