Sue F - Whole30 Log

Whole30Sue

I'm familiar with the Texas Fruitcake Co.   :D  :lol:  My folks have been ordering one of those for a million years at Christmastime. Best fruitcakes in the world.  Filled with dried fruits and nuts.  It's  better than a bar, it's a mega-bar.  It would feed an army.  Warm mama's for babies....Ooooooo  Sue, that is hysterically funny. One Hot Mama.    :D 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh wow! Never in a million years would I have thought that a fruit cake would sound appetizing, but that sounds awesome. I haven't allowed any dried fruit on my whole30/60. I love dates a little too much.

It used to be the Texas Fruitcake Company but now it's called Corsicana Fruitcake Co. and I do believe they had flooding this week.   Guess what?  I have relatives who work at the fruitcake company in Georgia.    :D  :lol: Just plain nuts.  :D 

Yes, Sue....they're something else.  The fruitcakes and my relatives.

Day 44 -

Much better sleep last night. Kept CPAP mask on until 5:30am.

M1: scrambled eggs, spinach, prosciutto, 1/2 cup coffee with coconut milk

M2: Jason's deli salad bar - veggies, three boiled eggs, olives, oil & vinegar dressing

M3: little bit of shrimp and some pistachios, banana

M4: baked chicken legs, squash, half sweet potato

Not sure why I'm needing four meals lately (one of them not template).

Steps: 8,525

Day 45 -

First time today someone told me that it looks like I am losing weight. Smile.

M1: fried eggs, sweet potato hash, half avocado, half cup of coffee with coconut milk.

M2: leftover chicken, shrimp, sweet potato hash, olives

M3: roast, green beans

Spoonful coconut butter

Steps: 8,196

Day 46 -

Argh! Another night of bad sleep. It is funny how this is happening exactly every other night. Our bodies can be the most odd things. This time I accidentally added to the issue. I was at my daughter's end of year choir banquet last night, they only offered unsweetened iced tea to drink, so I thought "No problem, it has no sugar." Not thinking at all that it has caffeine. Could not get to sleep last night. And I have been cutting back to half a cup of coffee the last couple of mornings to reduce my caffeine intake.

Fourteen more days are remaining on my whole30 that I extended to a whole60. Starting to think about the next phase. I still have a long way to go in healing my body. Still have much to learn. But here are my current thoughts about reintroduction:

Legumes - I feel no strong interest for any legumes except peanut butter, and I think it has more to do with the sugar and pb combination. Freshly ground peanut butter does not attract me at all. However, I am sure that taking advantage of my legume abstinence to see how I respond to some form of legume is worth the experimentation. The estrogen mimicking properties of soy is something my oncologist spoke with me about. My form of cancer "feeds" on estrogen, so avoiding soy has been recommended.

Alcohol - didn't imbibe before whole30, plan to continue to abstain, personal choice. I am a textbook introvert, just the smallest amount of alcohol turns me into a fun, but unrecognizable extrovert. I've never had anything that I would label "good" result.

Grains - oh man. I really don't want to reintroduce them. I know they will have a psychological affect on me and could very likely trigger a downward spiral into the way I used to eat. At some point my relationship with food has to be one based on sound judgement and experience...but I'm not that strong yet...I'm actually scared of this step.

Dairy - I never thought I could give up cheese, but I don't really miss it all that much. I would like to reintroduce dairy, see how I respond, and decide from there.

Sugar - Do I have to reintroduce sugar? I know it will trigger major sugar dragon. I see no benefit in doing so. Although, I feel like I have a hint of an understanding of the idea around a long term relationship with sugar. A couple of weeks ago my husband and daughter picked some local wild berries and I helped them make a cobbler. Of course, I didn't eat any, but it gave me a sense of something special that might be worth it.

We will be going on a two week land/cruise trip to Alaska this summer. I don't want to be feeling sick on that trip because I ended up going crazy with desserts or bread. Once this busy graduation month is over, I will start that planning.

Grad party this weekend. We are serving fajitas and all the fixins. I plan on making one of my favorites, a big texmex casserole, and just eat that.

Coffee with coconut milk

M1: scrambled eggs, hotdog frank, broccoli slaw

M2: two chicken legs, half baked sweet potato drizzled with olive oil, smoked paprika. Half avocado.

Macadamia nuts. Long story.

M3: steak, butternut squash, brussel sprouts, broccoli

Steps: 9,632

Thanks for visiting my journal - I loved reading yours and getting to see what a great experience you've had.  I hope your results from MD turn out well.  Yes - I feel for the patients - and the doctor.  That cannot be an easy meeting.  Puts things in perspective.  

Good luck on your journey!

Day 47 -

Up early, lots of non-compliant cooking for party and weekend of family. Also made a couple of my favorites to have available, texmex casserole and kalua pig.

M1: fried eggs, spinach, half avocado with olive oil and smoked paprika, coffee w/coconut milk

M2: chicken leggs, butternut squash, brussel sprouts, half avocado

Macadamia nuts, yep FWNB, as if I didn't know

M3: kalua pig, sunshine sauce, brussel sprouts, butternut squash

Steps: 6,985

Thanks for visiting my journal - I loved reading yours and getting to see what a great experience you've had.  I hope your results from MD turn out well.  Yes - I feel for the patients - and the doctor.  That cannot be an easy meeting.  Puts things in perspective.  

Good luck on your journey!

So far my oncologist is happy, no sign of any recurrence. Enjoyed reading your journal too!! Very honest. Take care!

Day 48 -

Sleep seemed okay last night, but took mask off around midnight, so I know really it wasn't good sleep. Woke once later with my heart racing, which means an apnea episode had happened. Sometimes I wake up and MUST get that darn mask off. Must continue to focus on keeping it on.

Graduation party today! I have texmex casserole, guacamole, kalua pig, sunshine sauce, sweet potato hash and leftover roasted veggies planned for me. Family and friends are getting fajitas (preseasoned with non-compliant ingredients), beans, spanish rice, zucchini/rotel/bacon dish and lots of fixins' and appetizers.

M1: texmex casserole, coffee

M2: kalua pig, sunshine sauce, roasted veggies, avocado

M3: texmex casserole, guacamole

Boy, serving cake and passing up lots of cheesy appetizers was a little challenging today. Got through it! Still hungry though, going to have to eat a fourth meal later.

Had a bowl of fruit. Seeing everyone have cake today made me want something sweet.

Went to bed with my feet throbbing. Didn't put on my cpap mask at all.

Steps: 8,757

Day 49 -

Up way too early again. Woke with a headache. My Keurig died last week, so I'm using an old regular coffee pot. The only reason I had a Keurig was that I bought one for my mother-in-law for Christmas a couple of years ago, but someone else got her one first. So I just kept it. Rarely used it until this year. Cannot justify buying another. I am the only one who drinks coffee and I only drink one cup a day. Although it was nice for company. I'm not ready to give up coffee but I'm not enjoying it as much without the Keurig. BUT today I must go get some decaf grounds, this messed up sleep is getting very old. Maybe decaf will help.

M1: texmex casserole with fried egg on top, guacamole

Coffee, just a few sips

M2: salad with grilled chicken, oil & vinegar dressing, cashews, banana

M3: kalua pig, sunshine sauce, guacamole, sweet potato drizzled with olive oil

Funny. A friend and I had a nice long conversation about her two month old chicks that need a new home, and how to get them settled at my home. Turns out, the entire time I was talking about chickens, and she was talking about ducks! My surprise when she delivered them.

So now we have seven adult chickens, six young chickens, six ducks, five cats, and two turtles. Fun!!

Headache most of the day, got bad enough I had to take ibuprofen. FIRST ibuprofen I have taken in 49 days! Used to take it much more frequently. The coffee I had tasted awful this morning, so I didn't drink much, so headache may have been from that. I also forgot to take my blood pressure meds two days in a row, so that could have done it too. Don't think it was anything in my food. Just realized headache may have been from not using cpap last night. Sleep apnea raises blood pressure, in addition to missing the meds. Should have taken a bp reading.

Steps: 7,922

Day 50 -

Wow! Never thought I could go fifty days without sugar or grains or cheese. Amazing. When I was approaching day 30, I had no desire to stop. But now approaching day 60, I am ready for the next phase. I plan on making a thread in the post-whole30 section to track how it goes.

Heading to Galveston this weekend for my daughter's end of year choir trip. It is supposed to be incredibly crowded on the island because it is Memorial Day weekend. We leave early Saturday morning and get home late Sunday night. I really wish my husband could go with us, to help navigate. All the other students and adults will be traveling in the school bus. We take our accessible van. It is more comfortable for my daughter. Most importantly, if she has any issues, we are able to leave. But that means I will be driving from venue to venue without an extra helper. Guess I need to prepare some maps.

I plan on cooking on Friday so I will have a fully packed ice chest. I like shrimp cold, so probably that and some mango pico de gallo. Didn't like chili cold last time, so not that. I love sweet potato hash, it might be good cold. I know there is a thread somewhere about eating from a ice chest, will have to look for it.

Didn't have coffee this morning. Without my Keurig, I am just not liking the taste of it. And I can't justify buying a new one when I think I need to quit it all together. Maybe the time is now.

Started out last night with the cpap mask on, woke at 5:30 with it off, no idea how long I used it.

Spent some time this morning just sitting in a chair in the chicken run. Trying to get the ducks very comfortable with me, and associate me with treats. Turns out they love romaine lettuce. We have a big pond that I would like to eventually move them to, but if they will return to me for treats, we can give them a safe place at night. New adventure, we will see how it goes.

M1: scrambled eggs, spinach, prosciutto

Big glass of cold brew iced tea with lemon, yum

M2: texmex casserole, left over steak

M3: stew

Olives, some cut up fruit

Holy moly. I used a freshly squeezed lemon in my tea today, but this weekend I was out of lemons and used some bottled lemon juice in my guacamole and glass of ice water. Just looked at the ingredients. It contains sulfites! Why did I not look at the ingredient list? Just assumed it was only lemon juice. Goes to show that even on day 50, vigilance in looking at ingredients of every packaged food is important. Source of recent headache? Humph. That is off-putting to say the least.

I told my kids the other day that my mom smoked cigarettes all through her pregnancy with me and at home until I was in high school. They were shocked. I told them that someday, hopefully, their kids or grand kids will feel the same way about sugar. "Really? Your mom let you have a donut for breakfast?"

Ok. It's a done deal. I cleaned, packed up and put away my coffee pot. Ever since the Keurig died last week, I haven't enjoyed a single cup. I tried three different brands of coffee grounds and tweaked my grounds to water proportions, and never liked a one. To help taper off the caffeine, I made some cold brew iced tea, added some lemon, and enjoyed it very much.

Day 51 -

Feeling the Kill All The Things again. Assuming it's from coffee withdrawals. I guess the iced tea I am drinking to ease the caffeine withdrawals isn't the same as coffee.

M1: texmex casserole, scrambled eggs, sweet potato hash

Tea with lemon

M2: stew, sweet potato hash, lots of water

Cashews, olives

M3: stew, sweet potato hash

I did a little research. The iced tea I am drinking has significantly less caffeine in it than the coffee I was drinking. So I imagine it is helping a little in the tapering off, but not as much as I may have thought. The other thing I researched were the symptoms of caffeine withdrawal. The only one I was aware of was a headache, which I don't have today. However, I am feeling highly irritable, depressed and lethargic. And did I mention irritable? And guess what, those are also symptoms. Highly irritable. Makes me feel better because at least I know why, and that it is temporary.

Update: I started feeling extremely sleepy this afternoon and actually had the time to take a nap (not really, but I took it anyway). Two hours. It was the sweetest sleep I have had in a long time. Felt very mellow afterwards.

Steps: 5,635

Day 52 -

My mother-in-law fell yesterday and cracked her kneecap. So she is staying with us. Realized this morning that I had no coffee to offer her without getting out the coffee pot I put away yesterday, and making a bad tasting pot. So, after dropping off the kids to school I stopped and picked up a cup for her at McDonald's. Was a little hard not to order one for myself.

Slept better. I kept CPAP mask on until my alarm went off at 2am (wanted to check on my mother-in-law), then did not put it back on. Woke at 5:30 feeling rather rested. Interesting.

M1: bacon, eggs, potato hash, water (no regular veggies)

M2: chicken thighs, roasted broccoli & cauliflower, sweet potato hash

decaf iced tea with lemon

Olives

M3: chicken thigh, roasted veggies

Steps: 4,590

Day 54-

Traveling with high school kids, galveston, choir trip.

M1: scrambled eggs, avocado with olive oil and smoked paprika

Banana

M2: grilled shrimp and veggies

M3: shrimp, mango poco, half sweet potato with olive oil, olives, banana

Steps: 13,437

Archived