Sue F - Whole30 Log

Whole30Sue

Day 55 -

Long long long day. Will get my food logged and come back with more explanation.

M1: two boiled eggs, apple (from hotel serve yourself breakfast area)

M2: chicken, green beans (this meal had something non-compliant)

M3: hb patties, homemade mayo, broccoli

Update: This weekend didn't go so well. Looking back, it started during the week as I was giving up coffee. I had no idea the response my body would encounter. I got unmotivated, sluggish and uneasy as I prepared to leave for galveston for two days. I packed all of my daughters medical supplies and our necessities. I packed one serving of shrimp, half a sweet potato, some bananas, olives and nuts. Not nearly enough food. I didn't do any research. So two of my meals dinning out were questionable.

My M2 yesterday was probably okay. The grilled shrimp and vegetables at the restaurant did not taste of butter or sugar. In fact, they were rather bland until I added lemon and salt and pepper, then they were tasty. No adverse physical response. However, by the time I got to meal two on this day, I was too hungry. The group of kids and chaperones chose to eat at a food court at Moody Gardens and my attitude was "do my best, but I gotta eat."

There was a BBQ booth, so I got chicken and green beans. The chicken did not have a thick coating of sauce, it was sitting in a clear liquid. The green beans were very shiny. But I was starving, I didn't ask the server any questions, and ate it. Within about 20 minutes my stomach was not at all happy with me. At all. So there was something in there that my body did not like. The chicken tasted of BBQ sauce. Sugar? Wheat? A little disappointed that I let this happen on day 55, but I am picking myself up, not getting down on myself, moving forward.

I am reasoning that caffeine is going to be much more challenging to withdrawal from than I expected.

It is a much more formidable task than dealing with a headache for a few days. Wow.

Got back in town from Galveston, went straight to my parents house to see my sister and brother and their families who were visiting from Austin. They had ordered pizza. I visited for about an hour, went to store, came home and cooked myself a good meal. One of my nieces loves broccoli, so I made extra. When she walked in the door she was very happy to see that tray of roasted veggies.

Steps: 5,676

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 56 -

M1: chorizo and eggs, broccoli, half avocado with olive oil and smoked paprika, unsweet iced tea with lemon

M2: brisket, squash/bacon/rotel dish

Banana, cashews

M3: spaghetti meat sauce over zucchini, sweet potato hash

I seem to be reverting to my early whole30 days and turning to fruit.

Steps: 3,167

Thank you!! I read through everything you linked. It was extremely helpful. Especially the comments from Melissa about how long it takes to see real improvements in sleep.

That's why I put them all in one place, anytime we're tempted to pull that coffee pot back out of the cupboard...we'll stop and rethink it over.   As Melissa says, once you've given it up and went through that process - why start it back up all over again.  Truthfully, that goes for any food that causes you more harm than good.   Why work so dilgently and meticulously going through the withdrawal process, only to jack it back up within a few days time....it's so not worth it.

Day 57 -

Woke with a headache. I think having even regular iced tea is going to be a problem. Going to have to go completely caffeine free. I think starting this at the tail end of my whole60 is going to make me end on a bit of a whimper, rather than ending with a bang, BUT I get the feeling that going completely caffeine free is going to be a big part of my next phase in better health, so I consider it worth the struggle here at the end.

Day 1 completely caffeine free.

Using fruits and nuts more again as a crutch in caffeine withdrawals, but I think it will lessen as I go.

M1: fried eggs, sweet potato hash, avocado with olive oil and smoked paprika, one strawberry, handful macadamia nuts, water

M2: brisket, broccoli, olives

Banana, cashews

M3: brisket, roasted cabbage and carrots

Banana, macadamia nuts

Having a pitty party. Don't read further if you don't want to hear it.

Withdrawal symptoms from caffeine are not for wimps. This evening I am feeling depressed and extremely angry and like there is a significant void. Uncomfortable. Have a headache. Family is being needy. I imagine some unknown non-compliant food this weekend isn't helping the matter. Probably wheat and sugar. Ugh. I know it will pass. I'm in this for the long haul. Going to leave the messy kitchen until morning and go to bed.

Steps: 2,922

Day 58 -

Day 2 of completely caffeine free. Even though I quit coffee last week, I have used iced tea and decaf iced tea still, especially on trip this weekend. So I am starting again going caffeine free. No coffee. No tea. No decaf anything.

Woke extremely cranky, but it's getting better. Texted a few friends some chipper encouraging words and it is picking up my mood a little. This almost always works, I pick a friend I dearly care about, text them some "have a happy blessed day" and "keep doing that awesome thing you do!" and my mood will lift right away.

My frustratingly introverted brain decided last night that the chair seat of a board room no longer requires panic brain chemistry to survive. Yea! Went much less bumpy this time! So I am very pleased with that.

I have lots of thoughts arising to recap my 60 days, but plan to put them in my final entry. Learned so much. Still have a long way to go.

M1: chorizo and scrambled eggs, broccoli, avocado, water.

M2: tuna, homemade mayo, celery, pickles, salad, cashews

M3: steaks, sweet potato, salad

Banana, cashews

Went to bed with a mild headache.

Steps: 5,964

Day 59 -

Day 3 caffeine free. Think I might track this in writing for about a month, although, from what I've read, I am expecting it to take 4-6 months before I see the real results.

Woke at 4:30 and didn't have cpap mask on, don't know when I took it off. Woke again at 5:30 and got up for the day.

M1: scrambled eggs, spinach, two slices mango

Snack: tuna

M2: left over steak, sweet potato, roasted cabbage and carrots

M3: chicken drumsticks, asparagus, banana

After breakfast I felt...happy. Put on my sneakers, took kids to school and then drove to my favorite park for a two mile walk. It has a pier that goes out over the wetlands by the bay. Very nice. Haven't gone out and walked in many months. That is progress.

Steps: 10,934

Day 60 -

Yea!! Sixty days!! This really has changed my life and my relationship with food.

I have a busy day today, daughter has senior day, she is singing a duet, and later her friends are coming over, but as I have time today I plan to update this post with what I have learned.

Thirty days was not enough for me to understand the big picture. At thirty days, I was still most worried about the change on the scale. Now, after sixty days, I have a different understanding. If I focus on eating, sleeping, exercise and reduction in stress, the weight will balance itself. It cannot come first. The high weight is a symptom of all of those other things being off.

1. I have serious sleep problems that are affecting every aspect of my life and good sleep must take priority, right behind what I eat.

2. I CAN control myself around sugary foods. There is a way of eating that tames the sugar dragon. I don't have to feel the pull of sugar or the guilt of mindlessly eating it.

3. Fatigue and sleepiness (caused by bad sleep) make me want to eat for energy.

4. Caffeine is not my friend and detoxing from it is a formidable task.

5. Meal planning is critical.

6. An amazing support group exists in this forum. Thank you Meadowlily!!

7. Got over my fear of homemade mayo, and I like it.

8. System inflammation affects my lymphedema. It is not gone, don't think it ever will be since the lymphnodes have been removed, but the swelling is less.

Day 4 caffeine free. Day 4 of mild headache that comes and goes.

M1: fried eggs, sweet potato hash, mayo

M2: left over steak, sweet potato hash, paprika mayo, asparagus, cabbage

M3: kalua pig, mayo, brussel sprouts

Archived