emotional roller coaster

PainterB

Day 16.  Yesterday was not one of the better ones: first I let loose a rant on a post in this forum, then I felt like getting through the workday afternoon was going to be the HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE, then after 10 minutes of a restorative yoga pose after I got home, I was all energetic and got all the onions, carrots, beets and bok choy planted.  Slept like a baby too.

And today I feel really good.  This is how it's going for me....and I keep being so surprised that I am having such emotional responses to eating/changing this way.  AND, no matter how logically I understand the concept that change is not fast after 40 years of a dysfunctional relationship with food, I keep running smack up against the complete and utter belief (NOTHING to do with logic) that the *decision* to change means that it will happen any minute now.  Where is my magic wand, dammit? 

Plus, my age between my ears is not the same as age in actual years.  ("Who IS that person in the window reflection?  OMG, it's ME!")  My body just doesn't respond as fast as it used to, things aren't in the same place they used to be and I am getting a big lesson in how to be gentle with myself.  That is taking some getting used to, let me tell you.

Tomorrow is another adventure! 

Oh yes, we want it and we want in NOW! I totally get you on that. of course our impatience is counter productive in the long run. We all **know** it is a marathon not a sprint, but we are spoon fed sprint fixes at every turn. Headlines scream them, infomercials fill the tv, pop up ads clog our Web browser, it is so hard not to buy into any of it. You're trying to heal your body and adjust your thinking, it is a lot to demand of yourself, good that you're learning to be kinder and gentler with yourself, keep that up, and keep up the marathon

• Administrators

That super strong emotion will eventually regulate.  Everything gets such a shakeup when a person comes to Whole30, there is no reason to believe that our emotional centre is also not experiencing those changes.  Not only are hormone levels being rocked, but the things that we might've been doing to avoid feeling those emotions (chocolate, anyone??) we can no longer do so those emotions that we were used to numbing are coming through loud and clear.

Don't worry, it just means that you are a normal, alive human being. As women we are taught to be nothing but happy or content....and the fact is that isn't normal.  Be human, be angry, happy, loud, reserved.  Be however you need to be in that moment.  :D

• 3 weeks later...

OMG!  Is this normal?!  I am on Day 4 (technically a reboot to Day 1 after a friends birthday bash last night) & my emotions are all over the place!  I am on an emotional high one minute, then want to curl up in a ball & cry the next.  Then I'm angry (poor hubby), then back to crying again.    Help!!

I am surmising that you had your cake and ate it, too?  Wheat flour can make you feel this way in the blink of an eye.  If you ate the cake, it probably had icing which can be made out of Crisco and powdered sugar... :P  Just a mere slice of cake can make you feel like yuck, I need a bucket.

So technically, you are on Day 1.

Don't worry, though - you're in the first week. You will even out a bit here soon, and then even though you might have a mini crazy time around the end of week 2, it shouldn't be this bad. Calm down, breathe, and eat your compliant food. This too shall pass.

OMG!  Is this normal?!  I am on Day 4 (technically a reboot to Day 1 after a friends birthday bash last night) & my emotions are all over the place!  I am on an emotional high one minute, then want to curl up in a ball & cry the next.  Then I'm angry (poor hubby), then back to crying again.    Help!!

Yes...if you Google "Whole 30 Timeline" you will find you are in the Kill All The Things phase. This too shall pass. Stay the course.

Archived