Life begins at/on/after W40

jmcbn

So today is my day40, and initially that was gonna be it for me. By all accounts & purposes I should be planning a blow-out for tomorrow, or have already contemplated a slow re-intro phase.... and yet here I am contemplating a few more eliminations to see if I can't pinpoint which of those damned cruciferous veggies is giving me some digestive distress, and I'm in absolutely no hurry to reintro the one thing I thought I'd miss most - dairy.

I'm pretty sure it's not broccoli as when the farm shop I buy my veg from started their deli counter last year I single-handedly kept them in business from my broccoli salad purchases and I had no digestive distress then. I'm kind of hoping it's cauliflower as it's the vegetable I'd miss least.

I came to the W30 table in pretty good shape (even if I do say so myself!), having followed a paleo/primal diet for two/three years or so, and having pretty much cut out sugar anyways. I've been an avid gym bunny for maybe 7yrs, but started taking my training much more seriously about 2yrs ago, and completed nine Tough Mudder/Spartan style events last year. BUT I knew I could feel better. I knew dairy wasn't my friend, and I knew I had a few bad habits that needed nipped in the bud.

For me W30 (or in my case 40) wasn't a difficult transition. I've been doing food prep forever, I love to cook, I had a huge repertoire of compliant recipes, and I didn't have any real withdrawals to go through - I'd been there, done that. I missed dairy though. Black coffee tasted rancid initially, but I persevered, tried a few different blends, and eventually came to love the black stuff - especially of an evening, when I sat down, chores done, day over.

What did I expect to gain? I dunno - maybe some focus/clarity, balanced moods, a clear nasal passage for starters....

What did I gain? The clarity came for sure, I feel more focused in everything I do (although I can still be distracted/be found 'multi-tasking', especially on the internet!), my sleep is MUCH deeper (last nights sleep quality was 97% according to my sleep cycle app), I have no cravings, no desire to snack, no headaches, no spots/pimples, my moods are much more settled - I feel like I'm on an even keel, I feel happy, I feel energised, I feel gratitude...... I feel bloody good, and I'm not about to throw that away on a whim for a triple chocolate muffin - paleo or not.

What did I lose? Not a single pound. Nope, not a one. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. But at 5'2" and 125lbs I didn't really have anything *to* lose, & that wasn't really what this was all about for me.

However............................

My body fat percentage dropped from 28.9% to 24.7% according to the super fancy scales at the gym which I'm told are consistent but inaccurate in that they automatically change the reading according to age but that's all I had to go on - a drop of about 7/8lbs of fat mass - I'm a 45yr old female BTW so this figure for me is GOOD!! And this with absolutely no changes to my former training schedule, and by nourishing my body & continuing to include healthy portions of good fats in my diet, and THAT my friends is my personal success, and my motivation for continuing on this fat loss/health improving journey.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again "You gotta eat fat to lose fat". FACT.

Embrace the fat & I guarantee you'll feel better for it..

So today is my day40, and initially that was gonna be it for me. By all accounts & purposes I should be planning a blow-out for tomorrow, or have already contemplated a slow re-intro phase.... and yet here I am contemplating a few more eliminations to see if I can't pinpoint which of those damned cruciferous veggies is giving me some digestive distress, and I'm in absolutely no hurry to reintro the one thing I thought I'd miss most - dairy.

I'm pretty sure it's not broccoli as when the farm shop I buy my veg from started their deli counter last year I single-handedly kept them in business from my broccoli salad purchases and I had no digestive distress then. I'm kind of hoping it's cauliflower as it's the vegetable I'd miss least.

I came to the W30 table in pretty good shape (even if I do say so myself!), having followed a paleo/primal diet for two years or so, and having pretty much cut out sugar anyways. I've been an avid gym bunny for maybe 7yrs, but started taking my training much more seriously about 2yrs ago, and completed nine Tough Mudder/Spartan style events last year. BUT I knew I could feel better. I knew dairy wasn't my friend, and I knew I had a few bad habits that needed nipped in the bud.

For me W30 (or in my case 40) wasn't a difficult transition. I've been doing food prep forever, I love to cook, I had a huge repertoire of compliant recipes, and I didn't have any real withdrawals to go through - I'd been there, done that. I missed dairy though. Black coffee tasted rancid initially, but I persevered, tried a few different blends, and eventually came to love the black stuff - especially of an evening, when I sat down, chores done, day over.

What did I expect to gain? I dunno - maybe some focus/clarity, balanced moods, a clear nasal passage for starters....

What did I gain? The clarity came for sure, I feel more focused in everything I do (although I can still be distracted/be found 'multi-tasking', especially on the internet!), my sleep is MUCH deeper (last nights sleep quality was 97% according to my sleep cycle app), I have no cravings, no desire to snack, no headaches, no spots/pimples, my moods are much more settled - I feel like I'm on an even keel, I feel happy, I feel energised, I feel gratitude...... I feel bloody good, and I'm not about to throw that away on a whim for a triple chocolate muffin - paleo or not.

What did I lose? Not a single pound. Nope, not a one. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. But at 5'2" and 125lbs I didn't really have anything *to* lose, & that wasn't really what this was all about for me.

However............................

My body fat percentage dropped from 28.9% to 24.7% (a drop of about 7/8lbs of fat mass - I'm a 45yr old female BTW so this figure for me is GOOD!!)) with absolutely no changes to my former training schedule, and by nourishing my body & continuing to include healthy portions of good fats in my diet, and THAT my friends is my personal success, and my motivation for continuing on this fat loss/health improving journey.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again "You gotta eat fat to lose fat". FACT.

Embrace the fat & I guarantee you'll feel better for it..

Body by Whole 30 .....brains by Whole 30 and your genetics, of course.    Awesome factor...you've embraced all of the healthy.  I hope you leave some for the rest of us, you cool chickadee.

Haven't had any broccoli or cauliflower over the past few days although I have had onion and haven't had any issues - that said it's been chopped down fairly well & added in with my scrambled eggs.

I'm heading to the farm shop today for veg supplies and going to do my roast veg mixes in three separate batches to see if I can narrow it down a bit.

It would appear that cauliflower, broccoli and/or sprouts are my enemy as in the end I chose to exclude all three from my veg prep this weekend and I've had no issues with what I've eaten so far (zucchini, carrot, turnip, butternut squash, tomato, parsnip, leeks, kale, spinach, cucumber, onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, beets).

I'm loving those sprouts & bacon roasted in ghee & served with eggs over easy though so I think I'll make a small batch later this week to give them a try, and if it's a fail I'll save them for the evenings when I can sleep off the indigestion...  :wacko:

Fingers crossed!!

Archived