Whole 30 low fodmap-a lot to give up!

I would like to do the whole 30 again trying it with low fodmap. I am on day 29 today and my gas and bloating are pretty bad. My stomach very rarely looks flat anymore. Is it only raw brocolli or cooked as well? Giving up avacado is going to be very difficult. It is a main staple in my salad for lunch every day. Also, I will miss roasted brussels sprouts as they are my favorite vegatable. I will also miss almonds, but I am willing to try forgoing them. I might have to find another lunch choice. A salad without the avacado and nuts and shredded cabbage will be very boring to me.

You're focused on the "can't haves", when you haven't even determined yet what your "can't haves" are yet!! Let's back up ... :)

You only need to eliminate the foods for 4-6 weeks. You've already shown you can avoid certain foods by completing a Whole30 (Congrats on that, by the way!). So a few more weeks! 

After the elimination, you can start re-introducing the foods you miss. You might find that avocados aren't a bloating trigger for you, or you might find that the recommended limit of 1/8th of avocado is OK. I've heard that some people change their gut bacteria population enough that they can go back to eating normal after a few weeks of elimination. That didn't happen for me, but it could for you.

If you look at the High FODMAP Foods lists, you'll see there are multiple types of FODMAPS. You might find you are only sensitive to certain types. On the plus side, you've already eliminated one FODMAP by avoiding dairy on a Whole30. You're already started!

The high FODMAP foods are avoid or limit foods, meaning that might be able to eat a little bit without bloating. Once you've finished the elimination, you could do as some do and eat the trigger food late at night so the bloating comes and goes while you're sleeping. That sometimes works for me. 

Broccoli raw or cooked is a bloating trigger, assuming you are FODMAP sensitive. But you haven't determined that yet. If this works for you, you will have the knowledge to eat the foods you like that are GOOD for your gut. I loved brussel sprouts too, but looking back on what that did to me...  :blink:  I can't even think about eating them. I've replaced them with other favorites that are good for my gut!!

You said you're "willing to try",  so give it a whirl! 

lucie

Thanks for the feedback! I already discovered that my cauliflower "rice" is a no no for me and I was really enjoying it. I haven't missed it all though, so I do see your point! I am very interested in trying the low fodmap program. It will make my 2nd Whole 30 a little more interesting!!

Hi there - I'm approaching day 30 and not feeling too great, so I was also considering the low fodmap approach. It's going to be a challenge, as I pretty much love onions and garlic in my ground beef, I've been eating a lot of Aidell's chicken and apple sausages at breakfast, and broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts are staples. So I feel your pain.

Are you looking for new recipes to try? Or making old favorites and just leaving out those key ingredients?

bjs12345 / bpxdomino

Why have you decided on low fodmap ? instinct ?

I had bloating in my previous W30's - really bad on my last which I only got to day 16

I have since gone down the AIP route and the bloating is definitely down - in fact was down from the first few days

I knew why I started AIP - I had a massive reaction to something and have autoimmune issues and in the family

So you might want to reconsider the potential triggers before you limit yourself and become miserable (potentially)

Good Luck 

Zoe

Hi Zoe - thanks for sharing your experience. No autoimmune issues here - it's just strange to me that I'm almost at day 30 and experiencing weird digestive issues. I want to at least try the low fodmap approach and see if it helps, because I'm not sure what else to tweak in my diet. I have been eating a lot of higher fodmap veggies lately.

I actually made chicken and carrots smothered with a package of sauerkraut in the crock pot today. I added mustard for some seasoning. It was really good! So I guess I am making some new recepies since I am giving foods up that I really like. (This is for BPXdomino)

bjs12345 / bpxdomino

Why have you decided on low fodmap ? instinct ?

I had bloating in my previous W30's - really bad on my last which I only got to day 16

I have since gone down the AIP route and the bloating is definitely down - in fact was down from the first few days

I knew why I started AIP - I had a massive reaction to something and have autoimmune issues and in the family

So you might want to reconsider the potential triggers before you limit yourself and become miserable (potentially)

Good Luck

Zoe

I am doing it because I get bloated a lot, can't get my stomach flat and have nothing to lose really except missing nuts, avacado and Brussels sprouts. Hopefully I can try to eat these foods in moderation and they won't effect me.

A dietician recommended low-FODMAP for my husband a few years ago and he was unable to stick to it (despite all his meals being prepared by yours truly...). He did however stick to the Whole30 in February so now that we have started the Whole30 again I plan to make it also low fodmap in the last two weeks to see if it helps him with his IBS.

I will be interested to read more about your meals and might search this forum for more ideas.

Hi There,

I am presently doing low fodmap - however I am not doing a whole 30.

For me I was extremely stressed and my stomach/digestive system was just plain angry at me.  So I am sure the stress contributed to this issue. (Stress does that) so if you are going through a stressful situation - this could be a huge factor as well.  Please do keep that in mind.

The reason why I am doing low fodmap is because there are already a number of high fodmap foods that I noticed I was sensitive to during a regular whole 30: Avocados, peaches, pears, mushrooms, cauliflower, and too much broccoli.  So I decided after my angry stomach simply wasn't going down even after I consumed less of these foods that I was going to do low fodmap protocol.  My stomach is doing much better.  Incidentally I was also struggling with knee and hip issues this past year and they are also doing better too.  I also have to limit nightshades as well as they cause some skin issues.

Part of me could go into the "poor me" territory however I am so relieved to be feeling so much better that the limitations really don't seem to phase me anymore.  The hardest thing I am finding is the elimination of garlic and onions - because I truly put them into everything. 

I am actually on Day 1 today. I haven't quite decided if I am doing low fodmap or not. I know I can't eat califlour, but I am not conviced that avacado has any negative effect on me whatsoever. I don't like broccoli that much and unlike you Carlaccinni, I can live without garlic and I already don't eat onions bc I don't do well with them either. Nuts could be an issue with bloating, so I plan to give them up.

As far as stress goes, that could be a contributing factor for me right now as I am planning a big event which will take place in May and requires a lot of thought and detail. I'm looking forward to when it is over (even though it is a happy event!) so I can relax!! I am also trying to lose some weight for it which is like a double edged sword!!

Archived