Teavana Tea- not compliant!!!!

So I'm on day 20 of my whole30. I got tea from Starbucks today (teavana peach herbal)... Got a huuuuuge headache after and felt so nauseous. I looked up the ingredients online because I assumed that's what it had to be from- the ingredients are: apple pieces, candy apples pieces (sugar, pineapple, citric acid), peach pieces with rice flour and artificial flavoring (along with some other stuff).... And I looked at the tea bags and you can see pieces of the fruit. I'm sooooo mad! I looked up nutrition content online and it says 0 cals and carbs but how can that be when there's sugar in it?! I feel like I just drank a latte or something. I'm not worried about having to start at day 1 again because I was planning to stick to it for more then 30 days anyway but now I'm wondering what ingredient could have caused my headache/nausea because I never want to eat it again. Any input?

you need to look at the ingredients list, not the nutrition facts. Any ingredient amount below 0.5g per serving can be rounded to zero, and often manufacturers take advantage of that an use multiple sources of sugar (all below 0.5) so it can look like less. Sometimes they manipulate the serving size as well. Take it as a good lesson learned and, as you said, you plan to continue beyond 30 days anyway, so move forward.

As to what might have given you a headache, I would suspect "artificial flavoring" more likely than the sugar, although sugar could be it, or rice flour or any number of things. If you love this tea, I would wait until you are done with your whole30, then test it on it's own to see if it causes headaches again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived