Pychotropics and Whole 30

Hi there,

I just completed my 2nd Whole 30 and I'm excited to report that I lost 13lbs for the second time! Unfortunately, after losing it the first time it was the holiday season and I binged on every cookie and pastry that I could find, and felt disgusted 15 lbs later when I had gained everything back plus 2 lbs. I confess the first time was rough, but I was especially pleased with the results the second time around because I noticed my energy stabilize almost immediately (within 3 days) and an outcome I wasn't expecting: my overall mental health vastly improved with this diet. I am being treated for schizoaffective disorder, which in my case is a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, and  prior to the Whole 30 I was dealing with a lot of anger and mood swings, among other symptoms such as hearing voices, etc. I know that sounds scary, but I'm relaying it to you because I was truly helped by this diet. My last two weeks of the second Whole 30 and the voices have basically stopped and my mood is stable. I even experience joy now, which was a hard thing for me to sustain prior. I also don't have some of the back pain and hip pain I used to experience as a result of a sedentary job, where I sit on a yoga ball for 8 hours a day. The diet helped that as well. What really sells me on this diet however is the fact that after doing it the first time my doctor was astonished at my weight loss and my blood sugar levels! She had been harping at me to lose weight and bring  down my blood sugar levels for years, and had even put me on a drug called Metformin which helps to counteract the weight gain effect of the psychotropics that I'm on, which had some success, but I had plateaued for quite some time. When I told my doctor that I had been on the Paleo diet she said, "Stay in the cave!" 

Anyway, I'm writing this post for anyone who has mental illness because I've had a long 12 year struggle with trying to find the right drug/diet combo that won't leave me feeling like a zombie (I used to sleep 16 hours a day--no kidding!) I also know how frustrating the medical community can be because they often blame the patient's will power  and lack of exercise for weight gain, even though the affects of psychotropic drugs has been proven to cause weight gain, and now we know how addictive even the food that we're eating can be--and how detrimental to our health. Thank you Dallas and Melissa,  I believe you have saved my life!

• Moderators

This is so wonderful! Congrats! In my experience things only get better from here if you continue to stick to W30 principles and find your sweet spot for off roading. Are you planning to do reintroductions this time around?

I'm not starting reintroductions quite yet, although I did allow myself two pieces of chocolate last night. I'm going to stay Whole 30 as long as I can because I have quite a bit of weight to lose (another 70lbs to go) so I'd like to see how far it can take me. The blog writer from The Clothes Make The Girl commented that she stayed Whole 30 while she was at home and when she went out, she didn't freak out if she had something that was off plan. That's more or less my strategy.~Susan

Archived