Whole 30 for Lent

RuthintheDesert

I have been gaining weight since I went gluten free 3 years ago. In the first 2 years, I gained 20 pounds. Because I have a family history of diabetes and heart trouble and cancer, this worried me. In year 3, I was a little more active and I went grain free and began losing and gaining the same 5 or 7 pounds over and over. I was praying for help, and as Lent approached I felt drawn to the Whole 30 Eating Plan. My husband joined me.

I find Lent to be so helpful in beginning new habits or giving up old ones. Sharing my Lent commitment with a few trusted friends helped too. We all prayed for each other.

It was not a perfect Whole 30. That was never my goal. Lent is not about perfection. It is about prayer and sacrifice and forgiveness and strength to go on after imperfection.

I lost 13 pounds in the slightly more than 6 weeks. That was amazing. This is a serious health benefit to stop the trend of weight gain. For the first 4 weeks I slept really well. I hope that benefit comes back soon! My husband lost more than 20 pounds.

I became aware of hidden sugars and corn syrup. It was really not difficult to follow this eating plan. I am accustomed to watching for gluten in the ingredients of every mouthful I take. This just added a few other things to watch for. I realized that my grain free life was not as healthy as I thought it was, with the chips and the alcohol and chocolate.

We had a little splurge on Easter (hard cider and Frango mints) but we will be back on this plan for another month or so. Except that I will be buying bacon that has sugar in it. :) Sugar free bacon was more expensive and had very little flavor.

Archived