What's wrong with my mayo?

jdcjewels

Perhaps I read the instructions wrong with the lemon?  I will double check on that but I added the lemon last after I had mixed the oil and the egg- these two were mayonnaise consistency but when I added lemon it went to liquid.  

ha. Melissa's instructions do say to add the lemon at the end, but I have never ever seen that done. Also, she has a lot of lemon compared to most recipes-funny I've never read that recipe before.

Used in the correct proportions the acid helps with the emulsion; doesn't hurt it a bit. I use 1T apple cider vinegar to 1 cup (1/2 coconut, 1/2 avocado oil) oil, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon mustard. With this you can use one egg, but I like to throw in an egg+2 yolks. Mix everything but the oil, then add the oil slowly while whisking or blending (I use a food processor mini-prep). OR put everything including oil into an immersion blender container, press the tool to the bottom, turn on low and slowly draw it up to the top of the mixture.

• Administrators

so the mustard isn't like Coleman's?  Just simple ground mustard.  I think I need to search for this here.  Western products like this are only in a few shops where I live, I guess there is always Amazon.  

Perhaps I read the instructions wrong with the lemon?  I will double check on that but I added the lemon last after I had mixed the oil and the egg- these two were mayonnaise consistency but when I added lemon it went to liquid.  

http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/  These are the same instructions as the book, no?  I followed this method, once the egg/oil had emulsified I then added the lemon which is where it went to a complete liquid again.  

Perhaps it just takes a bit of practice.

Interesting, that's actually Melissa Joulwan's mayo recipe but in her recipe. I just dump the contents into a jar and then use an immersion blender. Takes about 30 seconds. And I use 2 tbsp lime juice.

thanks for the info.  I will have to try a few other recipes- maybe I will have better luck.  I wanted to try hers because how she explained she doesn't like mayo...that is me, except with Belgian fries....but that is from a previous life now ;)

will keep trying!

1. For mustard, I've just been using a tiny bit of prepared mustard.  I bought Coleman's the other day and I'm going to try it - at half the recommended amount.  I'm hoping it doesn't make the whole batch too hot.

2. If your mayonnaise fails, you can try again with another egg yolk:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/09/30/saving_broken_mayonnaise_a_recipe_for_emulsifying_curdled_oil_and_eggs_video.html

I love the taste of homemade mayo, even if runny.  But after trying several different recipes, I make sure to use 1 whole egg and one egg white.  I add just a tedge of lemon juice and mustard, beat until firm, then drizzle in the oil.   It's the only way I've managed to get a firm dressing.  

BTW... The taste is so much better than anything before, that I haven't minded the experiment process.

• 2 weeks later...

What are you using to blend the mayo?

I let 1 egg sit in the blender until it gets to room temp.  Then I add 1/4 cup extra light tasting olive oil and salt and blend.  With the lid off, and VERY slowly (2-3) min, I drizzle in 1 cup of the oil.  You may have to stop and stir a few times, but this method always gives me perfect mayo.

Sometimes I use lemon, but I mostly make aiolis and other sauces with it, so I don't really care for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay - not that I think another recipe is necessarily called for as there already seem to be several variations, but since my recipe is slightly different, I figured it's worth sharing. This recipe came from a cookbook that came with one of my early food processors (I'm on my fourth - it gets used at my house).

2 large whole eggs

4 T. vinegar or lemon juice (I like the combination of flavors, so I use 2 T apple cider vinegar and 2 T lemon juice - but since the lemon juice I usually buy is not compliant, I'm using all cider vinegar during W30)

1 T. salt (I use sea salt)

1 T. dry mustard (this helps the mayo to emulsify)

2 C. Oil (I use olive oil that is rated "pure" - this one works well - or Aldi's carries one that is "pure" that works well and is reasonably priced. EVOO has too strong of an olive taste. If I want to end up really thick mayo I use 1 C pure olive oil and 1 C coconut oil that is just warm enough to be liquid and refrigerate - but NEVER use 2 C of just coconut oil - to much coconut flavor imparted for my taste)

Place eggs, vinegar and/or lemon juice, salt, dry mustard, and 1/3 C oil in processor bowl. Process for 15 seconds, then begin drizzling remaining oil into bowl through chute as processor continues to run. After all of the oil has been incorporated continue to process for an additional 15 seconds.

My review: this recipe makes about 2 1/2 cups of mayo, and I have never had it go bad on me, even if it was in the fridge for a month or so. I've been using this recipe to make mayo for several years and the one and only time it ever broke was when I added new mayo to a jar that already had some in it (had to make a new batch for a different recipe, and had just a smidge left). I have even discovered that this recipe can be fermented if you're concerned about shelf-life - just add 2 T whey to the egg mixture at the beginning of the process, and leave set out on the counter for 8 hours for the fermenting process to kick in - but not while you're on W30 - whey is dairy). I don't bring the ingredients to room temperature, and the entire process takes 5 - 10 minutes, depending on if I'm using coconut oil and have to heat it to liquify it first). 

My recipe is.. Large mason jar / 1 whole egg / tsp give or take salt / good shake of granulated garlic / overfull tbls of cider vinegar / 1/2 tsp black pepper 1 cup light olive oil…   all mixed with an emersion blender.  Takes longer to clean emersion blender than it does to make mayo… 

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a major fail with my first attempt at homemade mayo. It looked great until I added the lemon juice at the end, then it disintegrated into grossness. Will be retrying with suggestions from above - thanks all!

• Moderators

Just had a major fail with my first attempt at homemade mayo. It looked great until I added the lemon juice at the end, then it disintegrated into grossness. Will be retrying with suggestions from above - thanks all!

Try this method, if you have an immersion blender. Put all the stuff in the jar, doesn't even have to be room temp, and blend. You can use whichever seasonings you want. I usually use salt, mustard powder, lemon juice, and light olive oil, but I've made it with garlic, I've tried it with lime juice or apple cider vinegar or other vinegars instead of lemon, it pretty much always works.  And since my immersion blender fits nicely into a wide-mouth, pint-sized mason jar, I make the mayo and then stick a lid on the jar, no extra dishes to clean.

I'm having issues also.  The first time I made Mayo it turned out really well.  I made egg salad and tuna salad and chicken salad.  Yummy.  But alas, the past two times I have tried to make it, it has been runny, very water-like.  I have followed the recipe EXACTLY.   Room temperature, slowly add oil, lemon at the end.  Still didn't work.  The only thing that I changed was using eggs from my friend's chickens.  Can't beat going over to her house and picking a dozen eggs myself!

I am frustrated and don't know how to proceed. I will try some recipes on this post but I was really happy with my first batch.

Any thoughts?

Get yourself a stick blender..  I make mine in a wide mouth jar large enough (to hold everything)  with room left over.. in this order.. egg, vinegar or lemon your choice, salt, pepper and granulated garlic and one cup of oil of choice.  Keep the blender blade at the bottom and slowly pull it up and VOLA you have Mayo.. takes longer to clean the stick blender than make the mayo.. 

Thanks for all the tips, I found this thread last night after the fist disaster.  Tonight's seems to be much better.  I do think it's too olive oil tasting, so next time I'll try all avocado oil (I used 50/50).  It will be an acquired taste since I'm so used to store bought but I'm hoping I can get used to it.  

• Moderators

Thanks for all the tips, I found this thread last night after the fist disaster.  Tonight's seems to be much better.  I do think it's too olive oil tasting, so next time I'll try all avocado oil (I used 50/50).  It will be an acquired taste since I'm so used to store bought but I'm hoping I can get used to it.  

Look for light tasting olive oil if the avocado oil doesn't work for you. You should be able to find several brands at your regular grocery store. Some people like macadamia nut oil as well.

Archived