Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

Hi everyone! I am planning to start tomorrow, April 7th. I am a 29 yr old mom of 3, and I am nursing my 4 month old. He has a lot of eczema and rashes and I am sure it is due to something I am eating. I am already dairy and soy free but I think sugar and gluten need to go as well. Plus, I would like to lose 50 lbs. This whole program seems very overwhelming but, I can do anything for 30 days right?  

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was how I got through my first 30 days...It's only 30 days.  I've since done a 2nd 30 days and am currently on day 96 of a Whole 100.  I'm doing a 100 days to really make this way of eating a habit/need.  30 days was great but I fell off the clean eating wagon way too quickly after reintroduction.

Best of luck to you - 30 days is barely a blip on the radar screen of life.

I am also starting tomorrow!  This is my second attempt at a second whole30.  I successfully completed my first last January (2014) and tried a second round at the beginning of this year but lost my way pretty quickly.  I am very committed to seeing this attempt through to the end!

I'm in.  I've been mostly Paleo since June 2014 with several whole 30's (also some longer and shorter Whole 30's).  My biggest problem was following the "spirit" of the whole 30 - meaning sticking to 3 meals, not eating when not hungry (mini meals are fine if you are hungry) and following the recommended servings for fruit.  I can give up fruit completely but once I let it into my world, I can't seem to control it.  The only way to eliminate the sugar dragon is to starve it - feeding it with fruit is not helpful.  I'm actually talking to myself right now but also sharing this with everyone.

For the new people, read the book, search the forums, join a group for support (like this one), ask questions, read labels very carefully and be prepared.  Before you take that noncompliant bite, ask yourself if the food is going to make you more or less healthy and is that particular food really worth it. 

Beware of dried fruit, nuts, nut butters and larabars.  These are all foods with no brakes for many people.  You will have best results if you only use these as part of a recipe or eaten with a meal (following template recommendations).  Larabars are for emergency situations only so stay away from them. 

Hope everyone has a great first day!

Here I am! Started this morning, I feel incredibly tired and sick after this Easter weekend. Hope to feel better soon!

This is my second time, the first one was awesome, now I really need to reset my body and clean my eating a lot!

Good luck to everyone!

Guest ABurkett

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing. I started my whole30 2 weeks ago in hopes to change my relationship with food. I am a binge eater, but I love to eat Paleo! I wouldn't say I failed thus far, however every other day I find myself binge eating like crazy and I feel terrible the next morning. This has been an on going issue for me.

Today, I have restarted my whole30. I have put in place some rules for myself so that I am better prepared. Some of these rules include no eating in front of the TV, no eating in the car, no eating while texting or on the phone, and mindfully eating slower. So, basically, when I sit down for meals I will do just that. Eat and only eat (with the some conversation with my husband at dinner).

Also, I’m going to try and not eat meals less than 4 hours apart. Snacking gets me in trouble being a binge eater. I know I should eat when I'm hungry, but if I eat enough fats and protein during meals, going without a meal for 4 or more hours shouldn't be a problem. Let’s hope. My body is adapted to snacking every few hours so I imagine this might be challenging in the beginning.

Wishing you all the best & lets keep in touch!

Ashley Burkett

I started my first Whole30 today, along with my parents. I'm in exams right now, and this is the perfect way to keep my energy levels up and safeguard against stress eating. ;)  I generally follow an 80/20 primal diet, so it's not a drastic change from the way I usually eat. I'm hoping to tame my snacking and going up for seconds habits, and also hope that removing dairy will have a positive effect on my skin (re: adult acne). Good luck to everyone!  :)

Guest ABurkett

I just found out how to "follow this topic" at the top right corner of the page.

If we want to stay in touch, this will notify us when someone comments on our chat.

Started the Whole30 program today. Have been eating Paleo for better part of eighteen months, but felt I needed a boost as well as eliminate some bad food habits. Plus, a friend of mine did the Whole30 and had great results. Eager to eat better and live better! So goodbye Panera, and hello Whole30!

Hi everyone, I started the Whole30 program today, with my daughter and husband. Low carb eating has been what we have been doing for the past two years for the most part, and I have lost 50+ pounds eating that way, but have unfortunately gained about 10 back. I have bad asthma, and decided to try the Whole30 to see if eliminating dairy would help in any way. I also hope to get back on track with losing weight, and lose about 30 more pounds or so. 

I am really missing my milk in tea right now, and am sure I will miss cheese soon, but am not having difficulty with the low carb part of it, as I am accustomed to that. I look forward to seeing where I will be in 30 days!

My daughter ("slm1994" who also started today) challenged my wife and I to do a whole30, so here I am.  My wife and I had good past success in weight loss and metabolic "reset" by going HFLC, with periodic ketogenic inductions. I am eager to try this program out and see what benefits it conveys.  Removing grains, sugar and processed carbohydrates is second nature, and legumes are not a usual staple in my home, so this aspect of the plan will not be a problem.  Removing dairy, however, is something that I am not accustomed to (cheese and high fat cream/yogourt being staples in HFLC regimes)... then again, I learned to drink my coffee unsweetened, so I should get used to drinking it black!

Hello everyone, second day here, italian time! Just had my breakfast and I feel great. I'm already experiencing life without heartburn (this was the first effect of my last whole30 and apparently it is the same this time). Moreover, I slept great and woke up far easier this morning! I don't know why, I had my blood tested for lactose intolerance, but it turned negative. Anyway, whenever I cut off dairy from my diet I feel better (why thay taste so good...whyyy??? :( ).

Good luck for your second day!

Good morning everyone!

I have to admit that yesterday was way more difficult than I originally expected. I was cranky and moody and had all sorts of bad food cravings. However I think that had more to do with the fact that yesterday was my first day back to school after spring break (I am a teacher).

This morning has so far been a good one. I slept great and woke up well rested. I hope everyone has a great day 2!

Yesterday was tough I found the kids easter choc and down the dish disposal it went. Better there then in my belly....of course I eat some.Today restart and it is Day 1 for me. Staying positive and drinking lots of water. Death To Chocolate!!!

Welcome to day 2 or whatever day you are on.  Lots of people drop out.  Don't give up; just get back on the wagon for your next meal.

Let's get healthy and improve our relationship with food!  If you need help, ask for it.  Let's support each other on this journey.

Kudos to everyone for your hard work!

I joined today (Apr 8).

This is very important to me to complete this program in the next 30 days. I recently started working out about a month ago more regularly and want to add eating well to the regime.

Not snacking is very difficult for me. I've got left until dinnertime. If I make it to 6 pm, then count day 1 done! Meals are easy for me.

Good luck to all!

Hi everyone and HOORAY for you!  You care about yourself enough to give this a try...and, if a try is all you've got right now, consider it a warm up run at it....then pick it up again when you have even greater desire.

WE CAN DO THIS!!

After reading how the Hartwigs manage their diets now, I see how VITAL one or more good, solid, and PURE Whole 30s are to getting the information we all need about what makes us feel good and, well, not-so-good.

I am starting again as of the 7th, after several false starts since February....even thought each time I have fallen off the bike I have added one more bit of awareness and one more tool in my toolkit.  NOW I have listened to the book - more than once - and am really getting the picture.

My mother died a month ago, so it probably wasn't wise for me to be trying to start W30s while she was in her final days and weeks - but the clarity and calm I feel when I eat right really seem to come directly from the food I put on my plate....and what I turn down.

So, I'm in with you all...let's keep the good going and care for ourselves really well.

• Administrators

My mother died a month ago, so it probably wasn't wise for me to be trying to start W30s while she was in her final days and weeks - but the clarity and calm I feel when I eat right really seem to come directly from the food I put on my plate....and what I turn down.

So sorry to hear about your mom, Merg!  :(

Guest ABurkett

Merg,

Welcome!

I agree. Each time we try and don't do so well and have to start over, lends more clarity and awareness!

One day at a time. One step closer than we were yesterday.

Well wishes and healing to you!

Archived