Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

I defrost meats Friday night, cook Saturday and eat it until the next Friday night and I have never had a problem (going on 3 years of this procedure). Bone broth I always freeze.

I freak out at the thought of keeping cooked meat in the fridge that long, especially chicken. I can stretch to 5 days but then I get a bit scared. It is encouraging to know people are regularly keeping meat the full week without any issues.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I freak out at the thought of keeping cooked meat in the fridge that long, especially chicken. I can stretch to 5 days but then I get a bit scared. It is encouraging to know people are regularly keeping meat the full week without any issues.

I always employ the smell test near the end of the week.  ;)

Hello all! It's Day 21 here and I really don't want this to end. I don't feel like 9 more days are enough to get the results I wanted. There are so many habits (food, sleep, and exercise related) that I can and will still work on after the 30 are up. And also -- I'm not seeing/feeling the radical changes that I thought I would see, and have been getting a little discouraged. I think at least 10 more days could be immensely helpful, and then maybe go primarily paleo.

Clarissa - I am with you on extending this thing! And I think I could REALLY use the support if I try a variation of this for the remainder of the summer, and the year -- and beyond! I think moderation is the hardest and most abstract thing in the world. Will definitely be looking for some strategies to help with the transition out. 

PS, I was reading a food magazine the other day, and even looking at a gorgeous picture of a pasta dish made me feel bloated and tired. Hah.

Have a beautiful day everyone! 

River 30 - this is awesome!! I'm excited! I am with you on the idea that I haven't seen the exact results I wanted... food hasn't been that big of an issue anymore, but like this morning I felt exhausted. . I hope that changes. The only thing I am nervous about is May 16th I have a wedding, I struggle with leaving town and going to events.. I know I will figure it out, but I'm nervous pasta or something ridiculous will be the meal, and I don't know If it's appropriate to bring my own food to something like that! Ha everyday someone I swear is offering me something non compliant as a "treat" but I just say no.. it's fine but when they keep saying. . "Are you sure?!" Ha that's what makes it harder. Happy day 22!! :)

I'm hoping to continue for a further 10 days, but I'm waiting to see how I feel on day 30 before I make up my mind.

Day 21 almost over here and I'm feeling good despite working 15 hour days for the last few weeks. Last night, I had very vivid dreams but the best night's sleep I can remember. More of that, please! Let's hope it's a trend.

Yes, Carissa - right with you. I have a few celebrations, a wedding, and a few vacations coming up too! I think the wedding will actually be the easiest part of the whole thing because there are so many other things going on that there's less of a focus on food. I'm planning to just eat around the non-W30 elements on the plate, or see if I can just ask the wait staff for a green salad. Maybe bring a Bison bar as backup, and sneakily eat it (not at the table)? I agree, I feel it would be offensive to the host who's paying mucho $$$ per plate to eat a larabar etc. while sitting down to dinner..  Just tried to find a forum about this specifically and can't... but let's talk later!! 

Hi there- day 22! tomorrow is going to be so crazy busy for me- long ago I signed up to make sandwhiches for our agency volunteers. I bought all of the stuff today.All the bad foods- bread, cheeses mayo etc. Oddly enough I'm not haivng any food cravings for any of that stuff and I won't have an issue with making it- my goal will be to pack a sufficient lunch so that I can have my own food- outside of the party that I need to attend for our volunteers.

Here's a weird thing- when I was grocery shopping I looked over at the nut-butters and had not a craving but some sort of association or desire for cheap peanut butter and I'm not really a peanut butter fan- just something  leftover from my teenage years when I used to eat it with a spoon when I was bingeing. It was fleeting- then I moved on.

Such a busy week for me coming up -especailly tomorrow- it's going to make these next few days just rocket by!!

Morning! Day 22 here too.

It is weird how foods you once adored don't have any appeal suddenly. I have loved strong tea with milk all my life and, at the moment, I don't want a cup. I'm convinced your body likes doing whatever it's doing - it settles into habits and I'm enjoying herbal tea at the moment. I'm sure that once I've had a few cups of 'old style' tea, my desire to have it often will return.

Lo-lo55 - it sounds like a pretty hectic time ahead. I know I'd have to discipline myself not to steal a cheeky crust here and there!

Have a great day!

Hi Day 20 here 2/3 of the way :)

I was exhausted last night after work, checking my food diary I was pretty light on the starchy veggies. Added a roasted sweet potato for tea and another at breakfast and today I feel much better. Not tiger blood but better than I have felt for quite a while. Made sure to have more sweet potato for meal 3 tonight, fingers crossed I feel even better tomorrow :)

How did you go with all your sandwiches today lo-lo?

Vance I once loved tea with a dash of milk now it tastes wrong (I tried it in reintro after my first whole30). I also loved cappucinos and iced coffees, i don't miss then because they are completely unappealing,but I miss liking then if that makes sense?

Hope every one has a great day/night :)

Day 22 here! Feeling good but totally swamped with work - have to focus on breathing slowly and keeping stress down today and in the next few days, which also includes work travel and family obligations. Maybe some calming music would help!! 

An interesting development -- I've noticed that my seasonal allergies have improved dramatically!! No itchy eyes or any other kind of histamine responses... for a while I didn't even notice it. But I just heard something about a "pollen tsunami" that's supposedly currently overtaking New York. Normally, I would be the FIRST person to notice something like this. I have been plagued by bad allergies since my childhood and have tried everything to help it... the entire medicine counter, local honey, just keeping the windows closed and being a shut-in.... :) 

THIS is like magic... WOW. it would be so interesting to know what exactly is causing this recovery for me.... lack of dairy, sugar, or grains?? 

They say the worst is yet to come for the allergy season -- but I have yet to feel even a glimmer of discomfort.

Hi Kage - I completely understand what you mean by missing liking something.  For me, many foods and drinks are little rituals with lovely associations and I'm having to rework all that out!

River - great news on the allergies! :)

I'm really starting to feel the benefit now - I'm sleeping better than I have in years.  Long may it continue.

Anyone else feeling a bit scared about potentially going back to our old ways?

Sandwhich duty is over!! :) I will tell you the hardest thing was keeping on having to remind myself to not lick my fingers. If I would have had Paleo mayo in them the egg filling would have been legal- but I used a srore bought brand because- well you know-it's probably not good to serve homemade mayo to a bunch of seniors even though it's better for them ! Everyone raved about the Sammy's- I am a good cook even when I use bad ingredients I try to go for good quality.

I took my own homemade liver pate and some cashew cheese and there was a veggie plattter. The 2 delicious looking cakes (I know that they were good because my boss spares no change) did not affect me because it just didn't and I told myself- "you've had that before." Just right now as I'm writing this I'm recalling last year's voluntee recognition party where I was on a cheat day and I had at least 3 pieces of that friggen cake (so good!)

the best part of the day is that I got so many compliments. Today I just felt smaller- some how smaller and several people commented on how much weight that I was losing so ...yay day 23!!!!!! One week to go!!!

Hi everyone. So glad to hear that most of us are feeling great and don't want it to stop...and even those without that GREAT feeling want to keep going. I have been SURE I would stop at day 31, but now, not so much. Strangely, the one thing I really want to have is the crabcakes at our farmers market...even though they contain a little bit of panko and soy...oh, yeah, and also the melted goat cheese on the roasted veggie bowl they sell there...and the fresh authentic Indian food made with lentils...BUT, I too feel great and want to cement this thing, so I am going to wait and see what feels right.

Have been SO APPRECIATIVE of this group! You all have been super encouraging and supportive and informative. Way to go. Everyone!

Hey guys!!

Happy day 23, which is almost over for me !! :) This doesn't seem like we are getting close to 30, it went a lot faster than I originally expected!

I am still working on the sleep issues, about a week ago I was feeling really good in the mornings. and the last couple of days have been tough in the mornings.. I feel like I'm dragging. Hope that gets better!

Also I was wondering if this was your first Whole30? This is my first!

I have been putting this off for awhile, I originally wanted to do one back in November, but I kept getting overwhelmed by some of the rules and telling me to throw everything away that wasn't compliant, and to meal plan ahead of time.. haha I'm more of a Fly by the seat of my pants, so April 6th I suddenly said.. I am starting tomorrow!! I didn't to overthink it or say I was starting next week... I just did it. haha how did you guys decide to do this?

Merg - I was only referring to Bone Broth...not other leftovers.  BB grows bacteria if left in the fridge too long.  Frozen immediately it keeps for months.  This is from Wellness Mama. It is a strong warning.

"YOU CANNOT LET IT GO BELOW 140 DEGREES!!!!

Bacterial growth happens at temperatures below 140 degrees and can be really dangerous! While I share in your concern about not keeping the stove on – if you are going to take it off and then put it back on later – YOU HAVE TO rapidly chill it to below 45 degrees. Several professional chefs that blog here also recommend doing an ice bath and then refrigerate.

I keep mine on simmer for the entire time – call it what you will, but I have seen botulism poisoning – its not pretty – and it is a silent bacterium, meaning there is no smell, no taste, no anything that tells you that the bacterium has grown into the substance that it is living in. It does not need oxygen, and to kill it by heat you would have to basically cook it at a boiling rate for a really long time. And that is just one of many that can grow if you don’t do this properly."

Morning All!

Like Carissa, I can't believe it's gone so quickly.  I thought the whole thing would be torture and it hasn't been because I can already feel the benefits.  And I completely agree that our support group has been hugely helpful.

I definitely didn't want to be one of the 'disappearing names'.

Well done us for sticking with it. :)

PS:  I have had enough of eggs.

Good morning everybody,

we are definitely on the home stretch now.

River30, I can't say that I don't have any allergy symptoms, but they are definitely less than usual. That is so good.

Carissa, we read about the Whole30 on easter sunday, celebrated easter monday with a lot of easter eggs and then started on tuesday. We didn't do a whole lot of planning, either.

Tulip, we ate eggs for breakfast a lot. And I don't really like them that much. Then we left them out, because my husband is trying to find out, why he has tummy aches all the time. And who would have guessed, I feel so much better not having eggs in the morning. We now have sweet potatoe, meat and veggies for breakfast and I am actually fine until around 1 (we have breakfast at 7). With two eggs instead of the meat, I was hungry at 11 again. So we got rid of the eggs in the morning. Hooray!

I really enjouy our group here too. I am a little anxious about life after Whole30. But we'll see what happens.

I don't hate eggs but I don't love them either. I avoid eating them too much because i get sick of them very quick. I have only eaten them 6 times (5/6 for meal 1). Far more likely to eat curry for breakfast lol.

I am tired tonight but I have had a very busy couple of days. Still dragging myself out of bed. I don't think any amount of clean eating will make me a morning person.

I'm not complaining - I love eggs really - I've just eaten a lot of them!

It's funny how the psychological deadline of 30 days is keeping us on the straight and narrow.

It will be weird when it's over.

I had a decioius and pretty simple meal this morning. I heated up some leftove rpureed celeriac - then I had a can of kippered herring, some pesto, radishes and olives. Really delicious. I find that I'm turned off of the smell of herring etc but once I start to eat it it's really delicious and really good for you. It was not packed in oil.

I am looking forward to the end but not really planning on reintroducing many of the old foods. I have discontinued legumes anyway because they were never a fav. 

The thing that I'm looking forward to the most to is the weigh-in - it's happening on day 30 because I have a medical appointment that day and need the results.

The second thing will be on day 33I'm having coffee cream in my coffee and I'll be enjoying every drop of that beverage! Not having  any other dairy on that day.

I'm also (sort of) looking forward to a weigh in.  It feels as if I've lost a bit, but you never know.

Regardless of whether I carry on for another 10 days, I really want to keep the clean eating principles I've established.

I'm hoping that this 30-day opportunity to reflect on it all will help me establish new, better habits.

Day 23 or 24 - can't remember.

I'm still sleeping well and feeling good but I faced a powerful temptation last night!

I was given some chocolates as a thank you gift.  So, I naturally said thanks and gave them to my sons to eat (hmmm ...).  Watching that without having one was quite a challenge.

Anyway, I made it.  I've said it before, but I can't believe how these past three weeks have revealed my reliance on food to cope with emotions and use as a reward/comfort.

I need to work out whether I can manage without altogether, or if I need a substitute.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Day 22 here and back from a cruise ship vacation with four couples. I stayed on Whole30 throughout the trip. i kept thinking about how good I am going to feel on May 9 at my daughter's wedding knowing I'm as healthy as I can be. And the converse, how I would feel if I pigged out and drank alcohol and came back from the trip feeling bloated, tired and disappointed in myself. This experience has been so amazing. I made it through the detoxing days where I felt awful, and the angry days where I couldn't stand to be around people who were eating bread, pasta, and cookies. Now that doesn't bug me. I just don't do it. Now that I'm home more I want to start cooking the recipes in ISWF. I've made mayonnaise so far. do you have favorites? And thanks again all of you for sharing your thoughts during your Whole30!

Vance- that is so amazing that you went through a whole 30 cruise!! Congrats- you are going to to be the best mother of the bride ever!!!

Day 25- hanging in there. My meals have been wonky due to time constranits but I'm fine. Probably eating a few too many nuts today but I'm doing the best that I can do- it's the peak busy day of my busy mulit-tasked week and after today it's back to normally busy,

Last night I had a 'cheat" dream- not sure what that's all about but it involved eating something that had brown sugar in it and I couldn't stop.

Ha- ha- hope everyone else is thriving!!!!

Vance - That is really cool that you were able to do this while on a cruise!! 

I just tried making Plantain "tortillas" to make "chicken tacos" ...... did not work!! haha!! just a crumbly mess.. but oh well made it into a "taco salad" haha even though it was nothing like that..

I like this though making a lot of new foods!  

Ending day 25! Holy Moly!!! :) 

Archived