Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

And in other news -- it's COLD BREW season, peeps! There's a boutique coffee shop across the street from me that makes the best ... but sometimes I make it myself, and throw a sliced vanilla bean in there while it's infusing away. GOOD STUFF. Also, unlike iced coffee, it's not watered down and bitter, so doesn't need any cream or milk -- in fact, I think it's much better without it. You can also follow the same method with any kind of tea leaves.

River30- do you have a recipe/method that you do this? Would love to try it. I live in the country but I looooove cold-brew! I could definitely do it black but it might be nice with a shot of coconut milk too!!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

River30- do you have a recipe/method that you do this? Would love to try it. I live in the country but I looooove cold-brew! I could definitely do it black but it might be nice with a shot of coconut milk too!!

Second the request for a method, this intrigues me!

• Administrators

Oh wow!! Ladyshanny I just saw for the first time that you are in BC- so am I! I'm on the island but actually I grew up in Poco!! Coquitlam actually. Can't wait to read your blog! I took a quick look and saw that you're doing some fermenting- it's also on my long, long list of things to do. I was getting really good at Kombucha but I decided that there was too much sugar and extra caffine in there to continue.

I do ferment, you bet!  Kombucha is always successful, the kraut is a 50-50 success at this time and the ACV moulded. :(

I'm sitting in Poco right now at work.....if you are ever on the Lower Mainland and want a scoby to start KT again, let me know!

Hey, my peeps! We are almost there!!! Way to rock it, everyone.

I have been very close to a bad attitude these last couple of days. You know:"I'm so close....why not just a little cheese today???" But I have resisted. I am looking forward to not having to be so hyper vigilant when I go out to lunch with friends, etc...turning away anything with even a little sugar used in prep., etc...so that may be my first step...not taking in added sugar on purpose, but allowing a little latitude there and perhaps with pickled ginger and tamarind when I eat sushi?? Who knows...

I too would like to rock this again...especially when I observed myself eating about a half cup of pistachios late this afternoon...some habits still not so good and the emotional connection w food can still be strong...anyway, many things still to improve.

At the same time, I like how I feel and how, in this time right after my mother died and while I am dealing with all of her estate business and personal belongings, I have been supported by clean eating. That is a good lesson.

Cheers to everyone!!

M

Hey guys!!! Ending DAY 29! Woah! How did this happen?! And we survived! Ha I think if I can do this anyone can. The reason I wanted to do this is because I was putting ranch or cheese on everything... not good.. I wanted to figure out other ways to eat!!

Also I'm feeling much better today, last night was not fun, the way I was feeling! Normally I take ibuprofen, but I didn't want to take anything doing the Whole30, and I'm actually not even sure it is allowed. So I just didn't take anything.

The biggest thing I have been wanting the last 29 days is homemade popcorn on the stove, seriously my favorite snack ever.. I don't really have a sweet tooth, except for Around Easter and Cadbury Eggs are sold in the store, I know not good!!

I don't really know what my plans are for after 30 days.. I think I am going to continue "whole30ish" haha, but I know with summer and traveling makes it hard, especially when I stay with friends and family and they cook, I feel bad saying no sometimes. BUT! I will forsure do this again soon. I have benefited from it so much! !

Happy thoughts all!! :)

Morning!

Just starting day 29 here - and like you, Merge, I have been sorely tempted over the last couple of days, which just goes to prove that although I feel tons better, my food demons are not completely tamed. I also think your idea of being 'whole30-ish' is a good plan - to follow the general principles, but not mind about a spoonful of something you might not know is there.

I am utterly bored with what I'm eating, that's for sure. I need to learn some new recipes and keep to the general principles. I would just dearly love a couple of days off from being so restricted. Can I do that and return to the good path? That is the question!!

Keep going!! :)

By the way, are we all going to weigh and report in on day 31? Thoughts?

Broke out of my food boredom tonight and made a Beef Korma in my slow cooker. Did you know desiccated coconut has sulphites in it? I do now. Lucky I checked. I had to crush shredded coconut in my morter and pessle. It was great. So different from every thing else I have eaten in the last 4 weeks. Just what I needed :). I also bought ghee for the first time.

Day 27 for me. Still thinking I wont weigh myself but I will definitely do my measurements. I bet I will cave and give in to my curiosity when I start hearing others numbers :)

Once the first person hits 31 we should start a thread in the "staying on track" section so we can keep chatting and keep each other on track.

Hi Kage and fellow travellers on our journey to health and gorgeousness :)

I think starting a 'staying on track' thread is a great idea.  Thanks for suggesting it.

I'm in!

How's everyone else doing?

Hi everyone,

last day for me!

Tonight I will try to sum up the positive effects for me and not dwell on the things that didn't happen.

I'm planning on staying on track, but not quite so rigid. I hope that doesn't lead to completely falling off the wagon.

The idea with the "staying on track" thread is great. I will join you.

Hello all! Everyone is sounding so happy and positive, I love it!

Would love to hear everyone's successes on Day 31 -- and I will share mine as well, minus the weight part. 

Since a few of you asked for the cold brew method I mentioned, here you go... it's super simple:

1) Start with coarsely-ground coffee -- this is important. A fine grind mucks things up a bit, and you might wind up with grinds in your teeth.

2) Get some large vessel (big pitcher, or a very large french press, or just a big bowl with a spout) to do the brewin' in. 

3) Put grinds and water in said vessel -- you can experiment w/ratio of coffee to water -- I've used the 1:4 ratio (1 cup coffee, 4 cups water), I've seen a precise measure that says 1/3 cup coffee to 1.5 cups water. 

4) Stir the grinds and water around a bit

5) Cover and let stand for at least 12 hours -- can stand on the counter or in the fridge. Most people prefer counter.

6) Strain the mixture through coffee filter into another pitcher, and pop in the fridge.

If you really really like vanilla, you can half a vanilla bean, scrape out the seeds, and throw in the coffee/water mixture while it's brewing. But another option is to heat up come coconut milk or coconut cream and that same halved vanilla bean, and heat on the stove so the vanilla infuses the milk, and then add to the coffee when you're ready to drink it. Yum. Looking back at my recipe from last summer, I used to add sugar to this milk mixture and make something like a syrup. But I'm assuming none of us have any strong hankerings for sugar these days :) 

CHEERS!

Hi everyone! A "staying on track" thread sounds like a great idea and I will follow, too. I'm a couple of days behind some of you, Day 28 today. I can't believe that I stuck with this and the last two days have been harder because it seems like a few peas or peanuts wouldn't hurt. But I'm going to stick with the program until the end. I feel like I have a long way to go before this new way of healthy eating really becomes automatic.

This is just the beginning...

And thank you all for sharing your journey, support, encouragement and advice. I couldn't have done this without you!

That cold brew sounds delicious. Just coming into winter here but I have saved the recipe to try later.

Day 28 all done.

Had a conversation with some school mums today about my "diet" one said she could never eat so many eggs because of her history of high cholesterol. (Just sent her a link to an article from "just eat real food") and she just messaged me asking for more information on the whole30. Yay! The other friend told me how desperate she was to alleviate her IBS symptoms and have more energy, but when I suggested maybe she should give whole30 a try she said she could never give up so many things. Sigh. It really is a mind set thing.

So close to the end now. Karen must be finished!! Very exciting. I find myself feeling more motivated. Despite being very tired tonight when i arrived home (huge busy day) I ended up doing 2 loads of washing and decluttering 2 cupboards in my kitchen (including the "tardis" corner cupboard). And instead of stepping over the full washing basket on my way to bed I folded it and put it away. At this rate I might even have a tidy house one day :)

Yes Kage, I am done!! I made it, I feel so happy today.

Except for a glass of wine tonight to celebrate I am not planning on changing much. The food is so yummy, this morning I had scrambled eggs with a banana and cinnamon, that was really good.

I lost 2 kilos, so not really much, but it's a start. It's so hard to lose weight with thyroid issues.

Otherwise my skin looks better (rosacea) and sometimes I sleep well ;)

I'm not experiencing the big changes like you read about.

On sunday it's mothersday and my birthday...I'll probably have some cake and champagne :)

How are you guys doing on your last days?

I finished - Today is "day 31" sooo I don't know what that means yet ha! I am trying to decide where I go from here, I haven't gone off track. I might continue or just take it day by day to see how I feel and what events come along... I'm so excited I made it 30 days! 

Great Job Everyone!! 

First Whole30 Done!  

Hi Everyone!

Vance - I agree that this is just the beginning of eating better.  I certainly don't feel I've cracked it yet.

Well done, Karen.  You might not feel it's much weight, but it's less than you were and with lots of other worthwhile benefits.  I just know I feel on a far more even keel generally and that alone is enough reason to have done this.  I'm on day 30 - eek!

Well done, Carissa! 

Kage - thanks for making us a new thread.  I'll definitely be using it.

Even though I have only a few hours left, I am confident now that I will stick out my 30 days.

Thank you so much, my Whole30 friends.  It has really helped me stay on track. :)

Congratulations Carissa and Karen!! Would love to hear a round up of everything you gained from the past 30 days! 

Today is day 30 for me... and holy moly.... Tiiiiiiiiger blooooooooooood!!!!! Whoa! I had ghee in my coffee for the first time ever this morning so maybe that's what's triggering this? Literally, every few minutes I have to get up to do jumping jacks. I have coffee every day so it must be the ghee/butter aspect and not the caffeine... ? Or maybe it's the combined effects of the W30 finally kicking in for me. I feel buzzed... when in past days I've felt a little like, "meh, I don't get it."

Wheee! Thankfully I'm working from home today so can maybe take a jog or go lift things around lunchtime. This is making me wish I didn't have a desk job where I have to sit still -- but at the same time, I do feel more focused on the tasks at hand.

Thanks so much for setting up the staying on track board, Kage. I've never really been a forum poster until the W30 -- having a community to "check in" with has really contributed to my drive. I'll definitely be following!

Hi there- day #31 for me and guess what I'm having in my coffee? mmmm! I am drinking it after my first meal of liver-pate and cucumber/watercress salad. So I did weigh yesterday due to my natoropath's appt. I did not lose anything and was vastly disappointed. Had a good cry in my NP's office- even writing this tears me up as I feel that I was on a role before stating this but I'm still happy that I did it.

In the meantime I did switch over to NDT- Karen in Hamburg- if you don't know about a website called "Stop The Thyroid Maddness'- you should check it out - much to learn about the ole thyroid.

I'll hop overto the new thread and let people know what I'm up to. I'm going back to my other paleo routine that was working for me which is why I'm so dissapointed that I switched over- can't get over the feeling that I just lost a month because truthfully I don't feel that different.

but I'm happy to have met all of you and really happy to see all of you succeeding!!!!

Head up, lo lo! At the very least, the determination and discipline you brought to the last 30 days was well worth it. Think of all the times you turned something down, said no, made a better decision -- those are skills and habits that you can apply throughout your life -- in whatever food plan you choose to follow, and life in general! Hard work for a good cause is never wasted -- we always learn something about ourselves.

• Administrators

I find myself feeling more motivated. Despite being very tired tonight when i arrived home (huge busy day) I ended up doing 2 loads of washing and decluttering 2 cupboards in my kitchen (including the "tardis" corner cupboard). And instead of stepping over the full washing basket on my way to bed I folded it and put it away. At this rate I might even have a tidy house one day :)

This, right here, is my definition and personal experience of Tiger Blood.  The ability and motivation and desire to do things, to putter, to tidy, to weed, to walk, to keep up with life.  Yep.  

Lo Lo - It will be ok, I'm sure you see a lot of Non Scale Benefits! :)

What did I notice??? wellll... I have a lot of energy, which is good my job is crazy 90% of the time :) I I feel more comfortable in my own skin! I am super proud of accomplishing this, sometimes goals are hard and don't always finish them so I was happy I stuck to this... AND I lost 16 lbs! HOLY MOLY! crazy! I can't believe that in 30 days I accomplished this. Makes me not want to stop at all... 

I feel like reading this over it looks like I have a lot of energy, I hope that's how you guys read it! :)

I'll be in the new group too! 

Congratulations Carissa!

River - ok I am a little jealous as I try to drag myself out of bed. That is fantastic that you feel so good.

The lovely Mods shifted the new thread into the reintroduction section, so look there not staying on track.

Still 2 days to go for me, almost there :)

Archived