Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

Carissa 16lb woah! That is great!! I am jealous of your energy to :)

Lo-lo I am sorry you feel disappointed. A month of healthy eating could never be a waste. You must have learned some things in the last 30 days? Even if it is that you CAN have milk in your coffee :)

Ladyshanny - i know, i know but I want to feel amazing! *stamps foot* lol.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Hi there- day #31 for me and guess what I'm having in my coffee? mmmm! I am drinking it after my first meal of liver-pate and cucumber/watercress salad. So I did weigh yesterday due to my natoropath's appt. I did not lose anything and was vastly disappointed. Had a good cry in my NP's office- even writing this tears me up as I feel that I was on a role before stating this but I'm still happy that I did it.

In the meantime I did switch over to NDT- Karen in Hamburg- if you don't know about a website called "Stop The Thyroid Maddness'- you should check it out - much to learn about the ole thyroid.

I'll hop overto the new thread and let people know what I'm up to. I'm going back to my other paleo routine that was working for me which is why I'm so dissapointed that I switched over- can't get over the feeling that I just lost a month because truthfully I don't feel that different.

but I'm happy to have met all of you and really happy to see all of you succeeding!!!!

Oh, blergh, sorry I missed this post this morning!

So.......you know that the Whole30 isn't like paleo, right? And that the absence of inflammatory things during your Whole30 can give your body a chance to decompress and work on healing the inside.  You know that, right? And that weight is but one teensy weensy little factor of overall health.  And that it's possible that your body got the chance to do some inner healing and prioritized that over weight loss.

You know that your value as a woman is not defined by what you weigh, right?  I hope you understand that you didn't lose a month, you lived a month.  

I understand being bummed about not losing any weight though, especially if you really wanted to and I'm sorry you were so sad this morning.  

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do as "paleo" that is different than what you were doing on Whole30?

Morning everyone!

Day 31 here and I've lost 11lbs so good news. My trousers are definitely looser and I feel tons better.

I'd still like to shift another 7-10lbs and try to embed the good habits I've established - and learn some new recipes to help me stay interested in good food/food that's good for me.

It has been a very revealing month - in terms of what I have learned about my dependence on sugar and reliance on food for reward and comfort. That had to stop and I've proved, even during tough times at work (it's prep for exam season at school) that I can do it.

I've certainly had some emotional ups and downs during the month, but I've coped with them rather than letting food be a buffer.

Good luck to anyone with an few hours to go and see you all on the other thread!

Thanks for helping me.

Tulip

Hey team -- Day 31 for me!

I think my positive outlook on this day and this diet is directly connected to the fact that I've decided not to weigh. I almost did it, but then reminded myself of my reasons not to... And then distracted myself by trying on lots of clothes that haven't fit me in a while! Much more fun and glee-inducing than seeing a number :)

It looks like I've gone down a dress size -- I can now zip up two beloved dresses that I hope to wear to various events this summer, as well as a hot pair of jeans that haven't fit since pre-pregnancy. I have some other "clothing targets" in my closet -- unlike a weight number target.

Other victories:

- Sugar dragon banished!

- seasonal allergies greatly diminished (imo, the biggest victory)

- I cook more -- and with greater variety: This month has made me a better, more creative cook, with more tools in my arsenal and the ability to make quick dinners that don't involve pasta.

- I feel more connected to my food: I know where it comes from, I am passionate about ingredients, and feel like I'm helping to create a sustainable world/ecosystem by embracing good practices -- grass fed, free range, wild caught.

- I am savoring food -- food has never tasted more delicious!!

- I no longer mindlessly eat. Yes, there was much more snacking on the W30 than I would have liked, but it was always a conscious choice.

- Self- image improved, and comfort in my own skin

- I don't cave in to social pressure

- I am helping husband be healthier through example -- and am feeding my son more of the "good stuff" that will help him grow up strong and smart.

This is getting way too long so I'll stop here -- though there are many more -- but thank you to all of you for your support and guidance!

So.......you know that the Whole30 isn't like paleo, right? And that the absence of inflammatory things during your Whole30 can give your body a chance to decompress and work on healing the inside.  You know that, right? And that weight is but one teensy weensy little factor of overall health.  And that it's possible that your body got the chance to do some inner healing and prioritized that over weight loss.

You know that your value as a woman is not defined by what you weigh, right?  I hope you understand that you didn't lose a month, you lived a month.  

I understand being bummed about not losing any weight though, especially if you really wanted to and I'm sorry you were so sad this morning.  

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do as "paleo" that is different than what you were doing on Whole30?

hi there- Hey I didn't mean to be such a downer- I'm soooo happy for all of you and really I am grateful that I did the whole 30 because connecting with you folks has been great-knowing that there are people out there like myself who experience the same issues that I experience regarding search for better health.

I do need to clarify things because my situation is probably a little different than some.

3 years ago I weighed close to 300 lbs. As a 5o year old woman who has struggled with obesity since pretty much birth. I has already dealt with all the  body issues  especially as a teenager and young woman etc. I even found that I didn't need to  be thin to attract a husband much younger than me- I think that my personality did that.

Anyw ay- I don't want to rant. I'll try to streamline. I was unhealthy - borderline diabetic and it was hard for me to even get up the stairs- my feet hurt. I started trying a number of things which turned out to be paleo influenced. I lost 50 lbs- in chunks and I started becoming somewhat obsessed with every Paleo routine ot there. I've read every book (except Mark sisson for some reason).

This January after maintaining for a whole year and not really getting anywhere because of a 3 on 4 off approach to eating I decided to buckle down because although I now feel waaaay better I still feel that I could possibly drop another 50 lbs. I tried Bulletproof because It allowed me to have my beloved coffee- that sort of worked then I shifted back over to The Perfect Health Diet - an old Paleo favorite that does not bannish dairy but does recommend intermintant fasting. I started losing again and did lose another 10 lbs- so now down 60 and on a roll- stumbled across "It Starts With Food"  (This is a Paleo  eating plan -saying so right in the intro of the first book). My thought was- "if I take out my beloved dairy too- I'll even lose more"- the sacrifice will be worth it.

So that is why I am disappointed. The fault is mine- I was only looking for weight loss here and really shouldn't have been- but I already had made such vast changes that my health wasn't that high up there. So I just needed to get that off my chest and I'll see you on the other thread. :)

• Administrators

3 years ago I weighed close to 300 lbs. As a 5o year old woman who has struggled with obesity since pretty much birth. I has already dealt with all the  body issues  especially as a teenager and young woman etc. I even found that I didn't need to  be thin to attract a husband much younger than me- I think that my personality did that.

I tried Bulletproof because It allowed me to have my beloved coffee- that sort of worked then I shifted back over to The Perfect Health Diet - an old Paleo favorite that does not bannish dairy but does recommend intermintant fasting. 

Wow, that's an amazing accomplishment!  You should be very proud of yourself!  

I would caution you to be careful with intermittent fasting.  It is a protocol that can have great results or disasterous ones and unfortunately women's bodies are not designed for it like men's are.  Some women do just fine with it but it's one of those things that if it goes sideways, it can be extremely difficult to come back from. I would suggest perhaps that my initial guess about your body rebalancing hormones over dropping weight might be the case if you were previously practicing IF.  Especially being a woman getting closer to menopause, having your hormones out of balance is not ideal.  It's also possible that with IF, you were actually restricting above what you thought.  Most IF programs have an eating window where you still eat an entire day's worth of food but in a restricted time period.  The mistake that a lot of people make is that they fast and then eat only the meals that are left in the day which just becomes another form of nutrient and calorie restriction.  If you've restricted in this way, thus lowering your metabolism, moving to Whole30 and eating our full template meals every day might have put your caloric intake at or slightly above your reduced metabolism causing you to not have a weight loss.

Take a read of this article and do a bit more research about women and IF so that at least you are aware of what the risks and side effects are and what to watch for if it does go sideways.

http://paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/#comment-1362

I am so so so happy I did this program for the 30 days leading up to my daughter's wedding. I felt so much healthier and grounded. I did weigh and measure at the end and lost five pounds and 3 inches. I feel like I barely dented the surface though in terms of really changing my eating habits. My lifestyle is really social, filled with lots of eating in restaurants and drinking wine. So, after taking three days to celebrate the wedding, Mother's Day and book group, I'm starting a new 30 today. My birthday is June 15 so another good goal. This time I want to cook more so I can learn a bunch of go-to recipes. I want to make healthy appetizers that I can take to parties and out sailing. I so appreciate the support you all provided with your positive comments and just sharing your struggles, successes and advice. This has been one of the very best experiences I've ever had with a self-improvement process. Yay!

Hi Vance

How did the wedding go? Well done on your loss of weight and inches. I am with you completely on knowing I haven't yet cracked healthy eating habits. My efforts to keep going with something like healthy have been very tough without the framework of the 30 days and trying not to blow it.

My birthday is 17th June! I might join you on another 30 - just thinking about it and feeling fed up that I have so far to go - in terms of mindset and habits.

Kage started another thread for trying to keep us all on track - you might want to check it out on the 'reintroductions' section - I think it still mentions out 7th April starting date.

Keep posting!

I would caution you to be careful with intermittent fasting.  It is a protocol that can have great results or disasterous ones and unfortunately women's bodies are not designed for it like men's are.  Some women do just fine with it but it's one of those things that if it goes sideways, it can be extremely difficult to come back from. I would suggest perhaps that my initial guess about your body rebalancing hormones over dropping weight might be the case if you were previously practicing IF.  Especially being a woman getting closer to menopause, having your hormones out of balance is not ideal.  It's also possible that with IF, you were actually restricting above what you thought.  Most IF programs have an eating window where you still eat an entire day's worth of food but in a restricted time period.  The mistake that a lot of people make is that they fast and then eat only the meals that are left in the day which just becomes another form of nutrient and calorie restriction.  If you've restricted in this way, thus lowering your metabolism, moving to Whole30 and eating our full template meals every day might have put your caloric intake at or slightly above your reduced metabolism causing you to not have a weight loss.

Take a read of this article and do a bit more research about women and IF so that at least you are aware of what the risks and side effects are and what to watch for if it does go sideways.

http://paleoforwomen...e/#comment-1362

Hi Ladyshanny- thanks for the link. I sure find that there is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding Paleo/weight loss- etc, etc! Also so many people who want to sell their success strategies when we are all so different. I just needed to let you know that my intermintent fasting is the whole bulletproof thing and I take the coffee/butter with a hydrogilized protein so it's not exactly fasting. Oddly enough I have not felt like doing it much since I finished the W30- I think that I got used to the 3 meal routine which is not a bad thing :)

I can't seem to find the new thread- hope the others are doing well- tahnk you for your support.

Archived