Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

Day 2 here! We are doing really well! Eating delicious paleo meals from the menu I prepared for our family. Helps that we are used to eating low-carb for sure. Still adjusting to not having milk in my tea, but I buy Organic leaf teas, and discovered I do like my tea without the milk, but it is the "comfort" I get from my "creamy" tea that I am missing. I will manage though!

I know my daughter, slm1994, is like that we are doing this with her, because of the yummy menu I planned and we make the meals, lol! But she is a great support to both myself and her dad, and we will for sure rock this whole30! 

Hope you all do too! Stay strong, the first few days are hard if you have a lot of "detoxing" to do with carbs/sugar, but it does get easy, and I promise you won't crave those foods anymore after a few days.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 complete.  I am impressed (though not surprised) how well this style of eating suits me, and am finding it relatively easy to stick to the plan.  What's great about the program is how well it seems to carry me from one meal to the next without food cravings.  I have so far had little or no urge to snack in between meals.  Tonight we had a relatively early dinner at 5:30 and will manage to get to bed without snacking or having that empty stomach feeling (when following a low carb plan, I would often need to "refuel" in the evening with a light protein snack after an early dinner).

Keep it up everyone!  When one's body is accustomed to be fuelled on refined carbohydrates (sugar and grain products), training it to work on whole foods can sometimes be a shock to the system.  The rewards, however, are well worth the effort and perseverance.

Louis

Day 3 started for us already here in germany. We were invited to a party yesterday and stayed strictly with water, hooyah!. My husband is suffering from headaches, poor guy. Since I have been a eating a lot of low carb, I am still ok. I do stand in the kitchen a lot longer preparing meals, which is quite the effort with a vegetarian daughter who doesn't like many vegetables. That is a little tricky.

Hello! First day of whole30 here - have been eating primal-ish for 6 months or so, but with lots of cheats and special occasions derailing me. Thought I should finally take the plunge to do the Whole30 and thought the best way to stay on track was to chat to others who are doing it as well! So good luck to us all - I'm a bit nervous about how others are going to react to me doing it (mainly at work events!), but hopefully no-one will notice a big shift in my eating patterns anyway...

Guest ABurkett

Good morning, 

I'm enjoying some ginger tea right now. I LOVE hot teas. Anyway, I haven't gotten much sleep the past two nights. One of those is due to me not being able to sleep through the night even after going to bed at a decent hour and the other is from working until 11:45 pm (last night) and waking up at 5am.

Sleep is SO important!  I'm doing more to improve my sleep now, although it is a bit difficult on the nights where I get off at midnight or 1am.

As I mentioned, binge eating is something I'm working on correcting and when I get poor sleep or not enough, the binge demon hits me hard. I am aware of this, so my goal is to push through those days (today will be one of those days) when I know my craving to binge will come on strong out of no where.

On a more positive note, I've been enjoying some delicious meals.

Have a good day everyone

Guest ABurkett

Welcome  gm20!

My advice at work events is to not say anything about your whole30 journey. The conversations around that can be so annoying and defensive sometimes. But, I would gladly talk about it once you're done. People will probably be begging to know your secret. 

At events, eat what you think is compliant and skip the rest.

Or if someone offers you something and you don't want to be rude, accept and take it to go and maybe give it away later or toss is. I realize that's wasteful so, what I do (honestly) is give to someone in need near my home that stands on the road with a sign in need of help.

Just an idea.  :)

I hope you have a wonderful first day!

Merg, so sorry for your loss. So inspiring to see you keep going.

Congrats to everyone and your accomplishments.

I made it another day. Second morning with black coffee. Still continues to grow on me.

I usually eat breakfast 3-4 hours after I wake up, so adjusting to eating within an hour of waking is a big one. But I am taking the book's advice and not drinking my coffee until I at least eat. That is also tough too. Day 2 done for that morning routine. Check and check. Big plate of eggs, leftover sweet potato cubes, sautéed greens, zucchini, with a few bites of chicken. I read advice here on the forums that if you find you are still hungry to avoid more substantial protein like chicken to keep hunger away. We'll see how that goes this morning.

Last night was a mango avocado salsa with baked chicken, sweet potato cubes, zucchini..my husband said it was one of the best meals that I've made in a long time. My daughter ate everything and my son had 2 plates.

No snacking for me. No snacking for me. No snacking for me. That's all I can chant to keep going.

No more excuses too. It's now or never. I've been lamenting about "eating better" for years. The time is now.

Good luck everyone!

Hey ABurkett,

Thank you for your advice, I think I will just try not to bring it up and there are usually compliant options somewhere! In reference to your binge eating - that is great that you know that is an issue for you, so hopefully you will be mentally prepared when you start recognizing cravings. With sugar cravings I have found (so far) that distracting myself tends to help, so I will read a really good book or look at a favourite blog (not food-related!) or go for a walk outside away from shops to wait until it subsides. 

Well done for those on Day 2!

Hey everyone, I started the 7th as well. The first two days have been pretty good, just a little tired.

I'm a 34 year old mom of three and I also work full time as a teacher in the Chicago area.

Hi every one! I know I am a little late to the party but hoping i can join you. Tomorrow (april 10th) is my start date for my 3rd whole30. It would have been the 7th except my SIL and i had a belgian praline making class tonight and making with out tasting would have been more torture than i can handle!!

I am excited to be setting out on this journey again. I have well and truly fallen of the wagon and cannot wait to feel better. :)

Looking forward to chatting to all of you

hi- I'm joinng this thread as I started on April 7th. This is day#3 and I feel really crappy- to be expected I guess but truthfully I didn't think that I would feel this sluggish especailly since I had a really good night's sleep last night. My diet has been quite clean since the New Year although I did do some planned cheating over the Easter weekend- just goes to show you what sugar can do to you! I t feels good to be here. I just read "It Starts With food" and really enjoyed it. To put things in perspective over the last 3 years I have lost 65 lbs. Not really just one pound at a timemore like big chunks followed by tiny 5 lb fluctuations. Over most of 2014  I was eating Primal but cheating on the weekends (weekend started on Friday) and vacation. I would literally lose 3-4lb during the week and gain it back on the weekend. Primal eating and knowledge has saved me - now I'm fine tuning because I want to drop that last 40 lbs!

Hi everyone, started my challenge on April 7 as well. I'm already feeling the benefits, more energy, plus less anxiety since I'm not drinking and I find that can really impact my moods. Just trying to focus on that and not on the challenges. 

ddcat: keep going, death to chocolate!

Aburkett: it's so positive that you are aware of your binge desires so you can try to avoid them with different tactics.

lo-lo: congrats on the impressive weight loss. That's really terrific. I find it disheartening to hear how you feel sluggish even though you ate pretty well. Sugar can do funny things, right? Gives me no hope of introducing these foods after the whole 30.

I worked out this morning and ran like I was carrying an extra 50 lbs on my body. No idea why my workout was so bad. I really struggled. I did make it 5 miles between running/walking for 61 minutes and tried to keep trucking through. Big salad for lunch. I am totally stuffed......but....

We are getting into my witching hour now of snacking. Just 2.75 hours left until this time is over. if I make it to 5 pm, then I can consider this day done and closed for the books. So I am posting here to keep me on track. I have my hot green tea going. It's make no sense....I am seriously full, yet I want to snack. What is wrong with me?!?!

We are getting into my witching hour now of snacking. Just 2.75 hours left until this time is over. if I make it to 5 pm, then I can consider this day done and closed for the books. So I am posting here to keep me on track. I have my hot green tea going. It's make no sense....I am seriously full, yet I want to snack. What is wrong with me?!?!

Hi! Have you read ISWF? I haven't read it for a while but I think it has a big section on the psychology and science behind why we want to eat even when we are full. My big danger time is between when i get home (either from work or picking kids up) and tea. I am aiming for zero snacking this time. I will not eat unless it I am sitting at the table. No just grabbing stuff from the pantry and munching while doing other things. I think I am going to struggle lol.

Does anyone else feel like they are hungrier than usual? Or I just have food on my mind more often, I was out of town for the last two days, for work meetings... made eating difficult! Maybe that's why I have been thinking about it. I think it will get better after a few more days.. Also last night I felt like sleeping was not easy, but that also could relate to work.. I had a headache after the first day also.. any advise on traveling and Whole30??

Guest ABurkett

Hi Carissa

I don't travel much, but I do work long hours at work often. I am overprepared on those days. I bring more than enough food. This is because I might have to stay later than expected or my body might need a bit more food that day (I work on my feet). I never want to be in a bind, starving, without any options. Also, I bring a little more just in case I have a taste for one choice over the other. I struggle with binge eating but it's difficult to binge eat at work so I don't fear that bringing too much food will encourage me to eat more. It's also a mind thing too. Knowing I have something to eat and options in my lunchbox puts me at ease.

I hope this helps.

Here's something from Dallas and Melissa: http://whole30.com/2015/03/business-travel/

Morning All. It's a gorgeous Spring morning here in the UK and my day 2 headache has almost disappeared. I've got my first 'carry on with life as normal' challenge tonight as we have some friends over for supper. I am planning to cook a tasty but relatively simple baked chicken dish with lots of garlic, peppers and onions, various veg on the side and baked potatoes/bread for those who want to.

I hope everyone has a great day today. Let's keep the faith!

T.

Hi all,

I started on April 8th (well actually re-started on the 8th after being accidentally sabotaged by my sweet boyfriend from my original start of April 1st...but that's another story).  Anyway, this looks like a great, supportive group and I am only a day off of your schedule so I think it will work. :)

I am jumping into day 3 and doing really well so far.  The meals have been yummy, but i feel like I am eating tons more than I ever did before... and So. Much. Fat!  I know, I know... I've read it and I get it, but it still is going to take some time for me to get used to it.  I haven't been a big carb eater (bread/pasta/potato) for several years so that is not difficult.  But cheese?  um... not gonna lie, that's gonna be a challenge for me.  And cream and honey in my coffee?  And M-n-Ms after lunch or dinner?  But...it's 30 days.  Surely I can do this for 30 days.  Hoping to slay that dang sugar dragon in these 30 days.

Feeling a little flu-like this morning...no energy.  But i know that is normal.  SO thankful it is Friday and I have no plans this weekend other than meal prep, church, and a couple of naps. ;)

We can do this!!

YTulip,

I hope your dinner goes well! You've got a good start going!

thanks for the good wishes, ABurkett! I have bought some fancy sparkling water to compensate for the lack of wine!

And hi LJT - I started on the same day as you. Good luck to us both.

T :)

Archived