Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

I started on the 7th as well, but just now found this website and forum. I'm one who favored meals heavy with whole grains over flesh, so this is a big shift for me. Also tended to three to five servings a fruit a day, so a couple of big changes in the works.

My bigger struggle these past few days is the little things: soybean oil means no Ginger Miso Salad Dressing, Carragean menas no commercial Almond Milk. This will be interesting.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can do it Medusa!

By any chance do you have a Vitamix?  My son does, and he makes his own Almond milk that tastes 100% better than store bought.  Just soak your almonds overnight, then rinse them and 'vitamix' the heck out of them with water and a tiny bit of vanilla bean.  Strain it all through cheese cloth and you are set!  Delish!

As for the Ginger Miso dressing (sounds so good).. .I got nothing for ya.  LOL  But hey, it's only 30 days. ;)

Okay... it's only day three and this isn't supposed to come until tomorrow, but I may kill my co-worker!!

She makes whole wheat toast with butter every single day at this time, and up until today it has been no problem as it makes the whole office smell good.  But today, that smell is just a little too much for me to handle and I may take that butter knife she is using and cut off her hands so that she can never make that wicked smell again!!!

Sorry... okay... I'm done.  Thanks for listening.

Feeling great here, day 4 almost done! You guys make me laugh! Yesterday at work, the tenant above our office (I work for a chiropractor) was baking brownies and cookies, and the whole building smelled delicious! He sometimes comes down to offer us some treats, and I was hoping he wouldn't do it yesterday (he didn't), as I wasn't sure I could resist (though I do think I would have, but I wouldn't have wanted to offend him either).

I am with you above you who that cheese and cream are the hardest things to eliminate! I use cheese a lot, for snacks, for different meals, etc, so I knew that would be difficult, but for me, my "creamy" tea has been the hardest to let go. Because I have been mostly low-carb and even at times ketogenic for the past two years, I am used to no grains for the most part, but I am also used to high fat and switched to organic homo milk for my tea, as well as cream. And it was a treat I had 3-4 times per day.

Today, I found a great way to have a "creamy" tea! We made our homemade Chai tea, but instead of adding milk, we added coconut milk to it, and it tasted great, but also very rich. A small cup satisfied me, and I am not missing my tea anymore. I will have a small cup of this every couple of days, until I get used to going no tea. 

As for meals, I can't believe how yummy our meals have been! This morning we made a nut, banana and coconut milk "porridge" served with blueberries on top, and this was delicious, and a great alternative to having eggs. We also made banana, almond butter, egg "pancakes" the other morning, and those were also delicious. I know that "pancakes" aren't supposed to be had, because of the psychological connection, but for me, and for others who are low carb already, it isn't so, and I like the variety it gives from just having eggs, because for me, most of my egg dishes included cheese, and are now forbidden.

The carb "detoxing" part should be over for everyone by now, I hope, and it should be getting so easy from now on. Keep up the good work gang!

This week has a been overwhelming for me.  I originally planned to meal prep like crazy on Sunday and Monday before I started my whole 30 but unfortunately I underestimated the other stuff I had to complete and wasn't able to do any meal prep!  My best friend had a coupon for 3 free meals from Blue Apron which she kindly gifted to me! :-D The meals they had planned weren't compliant but I happily took the ingredients (steak, ground turkey, some veggies, etc.) and made my own meals out of them.

My worst day so far was Day 2.  It happened to fall on a Wednesday which is my busiest day and I ended up a major "carb-flu" headache. Thankfully I have been feeling great ever since!

Today my co-teacher bought me a chocolate bar from one of the school fundraisers.  She is so sweet and I didn't have the guts to tell her that I couldn't eat it so I put the chocolate bar in the very back of my desk draw and told her I would eat it later.  I have to say that I am pretty darn proud of myself for that!!!

@Carissa_thiel: I am definitely feeling hungrier than normal and I have been craving foods that I don't even like.  A McDonald's came on the radio yesterday and ever since, I have been craving a Big Mac.  But the thing is I have never liked McDonald's, not since I was a little kids.  I also had a dream about Twizzlers the other night.

@Medusa: I was just like you a year ago when I complete my first whole 30.  It was really difficult in the beginning, but it is totally worth it!!  One thing that I found really helpful was to follow paleo bloggers on social media such as instagram and facebook.  They are always posting pictures of delicious looking meals that it makes it easy to forget about the foods we can't eat.

• Administrators

As for meals, I can't believe how yummy our meals have been! This morning we made a nut, banana and coconut milk "porridge" served with blueberries on top, and this was delicious, and a great alternative to having eggs. We also made banana, almond butter, egg "pancakes" the other morning, and those were also delicious. I know that "pancakes" aren't supposed to be had, because of the psychological connection, but for me, and for others who are low carb already, it isn't so, and I like the variety it gives from just having eggs, because for me, most of my egg dishes included cheese, and are now forbidden.

Hi Kanistis,

As you've mentioned, the pancakes are non compliant and the banana nut porridge is pretty darned close to being non compliant also.  I understand that you may want variety for breakfast so I would suggest to you that you can eat anything for breakfast that you would for any other meal.  You can do leftovers from the night before, a skillet hash with veggies and ground meats, some compliant sausages with spinach & sweet potato, some green beans sauteed with some sliced almonds topped with ground turkey and some avocado.  Seriously, the choices are endless.

Unfortunately your "porridge" doesn't contain any protein and the pancakes are a poor protein-carb-fat ratio in addition to being against the rules.

I encourage you to try and branch out, change your relationship with the food by changing the actual food you are eating.

Here are a couple threads that have talked about breakfast ideas minus eggs:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1834-breakfast-ideas-without-eggs/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3571-egg-free-breakfast-ideas-please/

Hi Ladyshanny, thanks for your suggestions above! I do know those things in theory, but for our family of 6, leftovers are never left over, as everyone packs them for their lunches the next day. Dinners and lunches have been super easy to figure out, breakfasts have been more difficult, with having to avoid dairy.

I have a question for you, does compliance just not mean the ingredients, but also having lots of protein each meal?

Because the porridge and "pancake" ingredients were compliant, and if you add sausage or bacon with them, that increases the protein content of the meal.

I have four children, and like the idea that we can still have family breakfasts together, with ours modified, hence finding some variety for breakfast foods that the family likes. I also have been doing low carb for the last 2 years, and know how food affects me and what my "symptoms" are with various combinations of fat/protein/carb ratios. Granted, I've never done without dairy before, and that is what I have been finding the most difficult, but overall, I am finding this way of eating quite easy. 

I think overall we have been following Paleo quite well, but perhaps we need to study the ratio stuff to make sure we are meeting those? Is the a recommended percentage ratio for paleo that you can share?

Hi Folks - good to hear how everyone is doing. I survived the supper with friends. The food went down well and I stuck to sparkling water with just a few strawberries for dessert.

That's 3 days under my belt and I'm feeling optimistic about the next 27.

I have another question, as someone above posted about making their own almond milk. We have a Vitamix, and I think I want to try making our own almond milk tomorrow (will soak almonds overnight). If we do that, does anyone have a good smoothie recipe? We like to have smoothies for quick energy before our morning workouts with our trainer, and always made them with almond milk and protein powder, both non compliant, so haven't had them this week. 

Is there a paleo smoothie that we could make using homemade almond milk that would have enough protein "compliant" to carry us through a workout?

Thanks,

Denise

• Administrators

Hi Ladyshanny, thanks for your suggestions above! I do know those things in theory, but for our family of 6, leftovers are never left over, as everyone packs them for their lunches the next day. Dinners and lunches have been super easy to figure out, breakfasts have been more difficult, with having to avoid dairy.

I have a question for you, does compliance just not mean the ingredients, but also having lots of protein each meal?

Because the porridge and "pancake" ingredients were compliant, and if you add sausage or bacon with them, that increases the protein content of the meal.

I have four children, and like the idea that we can still have family breakfasts together, with ours modified, hence finding some variety for breakfast foods that the family likes. I also have been doing low carb for the last 2 years, and know how food affects me and what my "symptoms" are with various combinations of fat/protein/carb ratios. Granted, I've never done without dairy before, and that is what I have been finding the most difficult, but overall, I am finding this way of eating quite easy. 

The program specifically prohibits making conventional non compliant things out of compliant ingredients.  So even though the pancakes are made of compliant ingredients, their make up is not permitted.  You'd be better off to just eat the banana and some eggs, to be quite honest.

The meal template (linked in my signature below) is a strong program recommendation, not a rule.  

As far as there being a "ratio" to hit, we don't abide by assigning numbers to things like protein, fat and veggies.  Our bodies are dynamic and fluctuating and need not be penned into a certain formula.  Some days will be hungrier overall, for women they tend to need more carbohydrates in the form of starchy veggies for a couple weeks a month.  Formulas would cause people to rely on these arbitrary numbers as opposed to how they are feeling and what their body is asking for.

I don't know what it's like to do this with a large family, to be honest.  But it's just as easy to throw a couple handfuls of ground meat and spinach in a pan with a sweet potato that you roasted the night before as it is to create banana pancakes or the nut pudding.   ;)

• Administrators

I have another question, as someone above posted about making their own almond milk. We have a Vitamix, and I think I want to try making our own almond milk tomorrow (will soak almonds overnight). If we do that, does anyone have a good smoothie recipe? We like to have smoothies for quick energy before our morning workouts with our trainer, and always made them with almond milk and protein powder, both non compliant, so haven't had them this week. 

Is there a paleo smoothie that we could make using homemade almond milk that would have enough protein "compliant" to carry us through a workout?

Thanks,

Denise

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again....but smoothies come with a very strong recommendation...against consumign them.  Food that is blended which you drink does not have the same effect on your body as food that you chew.  Further, they are typically fruit heavy which creates a blood sugar spike which is not the way you want to be starting your day.

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.SooRsixJ.dpuf

How do you "quote" part of my posts? I can't figure that out lol!

One thing for me is that I hate sweet potato and all squashes (texture and sweet taste). But I made a ham soup with sweet potato earlier this week (used both orange and white sweet potatoes) that was really good (I avoided the mushy chunks of sweet potato mostly), and made a lamb stew for dinner last night and served that on top of butternut squash puree, and that was REALLY good, and will use squash as a base for other sauce items from now on! 

• Administrators

How do you "quote" part of my posts? I can't figure that out lol!

One thing for me is that I hate sweet potato and all squashes (texture and sweet taste). But I made a ham soup with sweet potato earlier this week (used both orange and white sweet potatoes) that was really good (I avoided the mushy chunks of sweet potato mostly), and made a lamb stew for dinner last night and served that on top of butternut squash puree, and that was REALLY good, and will use squash as a base for other sauce items from now on! 

For quoting, there is a quote button right underneath the "Like This" button below each post. If you are using Internet Explorer, chances are the quote function won't work.  I had to switch to Chrome to get it to work. 

Make sure you check the ingredients on your ham, it is super hard (nearly impossible) to find one that does not have added sugar.  

Our ham came from a local farmer, I am fairly confident it didn't have sugar, unless he used sugar somehow to smoke it? We get our bacon from him too, though we have run out of his yummy bacon and bought some Natural Selection bacon to use. 

I use chrome, so I will try the quote button soon! :)

• Administrators

Our ham came from a local farmer, I am fairly confident it didn't have sugar, unless he used sugar somehow to smoke it? We get our bacon from him too, though we have run out of his yummy bacon and bought some Natural Selection bacon to use. 

I use chrome, so I will try the quote button soon! :)

You should probably ask the farmer, most cures are done with sugar so unless it was an uncured ham (basically a big ol' hunk of raw pork), it probably had sugar in it.

Okay... it's only day three and this isn't supposed to come until tomorrow, but I may kill my co-worker!!

She makes whole wheat toast with butter every single day at this time, and up until today it has been no problem as it makes the whole office smell good. But today, that smell is just a little too much for me to handle and I may take that butter knife she is using and cut off her hands so that she can never make that wicked smell again!!!

Sorry... okay... I'm done. Thanks for listening.

This made me laugh.

Hubby made a toasted cheese roll at 9pm last night. I went to bed. Damn smell chased me through the house.

@kanistis - I really struggled with breakfast my first whole30, it took me ages to stop thinking breakfast and start thinking meal 1. This morning i tossed pre browned ground meat, cabbage (which was pre sauted) into a pan to heat it then mixed through a big handful of spinach and some mayo, i also had some roasted sweet potato in the mix too. It was delicious and kept me full until lunch.

Guest ABurkett

Great job everyone!

I survived 14 hours at work. I was offered french fries (potatoes are my weakness), cupcakes, and a slice of cake from two different cakes. One of which was red velvet.

It feels good to say no and be proud of my choice.

Now on to the weekend.

Stay strong everyone

On to Day 3 of the Whole30, and it's weird the psychological effect - I have been eating mostly Paleo for two months now and stay away from bread and croissants and things normally quite easily. But because all of a sudden I "can't" have those I can't stop thinking about eating a pain au chocolat!!

But ate eggs, sweet potato and kale for breakfast instead. My lunch plans are a grass-fed beef burger with vegetables (probably spinach & courgettes) and mashed avocado.

Planning really is the key to success on this!

Good job everyone!  (So proud of you ABurkett... work gatherings are proving to be super tough for me too!)

Kage, i like what you said about not thinking of breakfast as 'breakfast', but simply as meal one of the day.  Easier said than done though, 50 years of habit is a big one to break.  Thankfully, it's only day 4 and I have no problem eating eggs every day (sweet potato hash browns, chicken sausage, 2 eggs and half an avo almost every day so far).   LOL... remind me I said that when I am complaining about eggs in two weeks!!  I have a very hard time eating first thing in the morning, always have, so finding something that I can stomach an hour after I wake up is a victory. 

I just need to be super careful to get plenty of leafy greens in for lunch and dinner...and not rely on sweet potatoes as my go to veggie (soon delicious!).  Funny, I ate way more salads BEFORE my whole30 than I am now.  Not sure why... guess I am excited to try all the new recipes and have forgotten about how yummy salads are.  One prob for sure is that Bleu Cheese was my dressing of choice.  I am not a huge oil/vinegar fan.  I did make homemade mayo thursday... I am sure I can find a good creamy salad dressing recipe to make with that.

So that's my goal today... find a wonderful compliant CREAMY salad dressing to encourage my salad eating. :)

Happy day 4 everyone... try not to kill anyone!  LOL

Hi LJT

I've been eating eggs for breakfast every day and I'm sure I'll get fed up with them soon. I know I should regard it as meal 1, but whatever I eat on work mornings needs to be quick. Any suggestions are very welcome.

I've had a good day 4! Note to self: take own lunch to town - it was almost impossible to find anything W30 for lunch in the shops.

Thanks in advance!

Archived