Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

This has been so great, I love reading everyone else's stories and experiences - I think the toughest meal is Lunch! I always go home on my lunch break so I get out of the office, but I always try to think of something easy to eat! so hard sometimes! But after I eat my compliant meal I feel much better that I made a good choice - Most people have a sandwich for lunch so when I went to a work conference last week I totally understand how hard it is to choose meals! (Vance)

I'm so glad I started this when I did! :) Happy Thoughts! 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tulip - Kombucha is basically fermented tea with live cultures, it is supposedly very good for gut healing: http://www.foodrenegade.com/kombucha-health-benefits/

and here is the link to whether it is whole30 compliant or not: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/14334-kombucha/

I see you also live in the UK, I buy mine at Wholefoods in London so I'm not sure where else you can get it, but I've heard it is possible to make at home? Just never tried! Since I started this to heal digestive issues more than anything else after living in China for a year totally destroyed my digestive system (and stop me from craving sugar) I've been trying to have more fermented foods and Kombucha is an easy one to include!

Hi gm20 - thanks for the update. I'll check out the links :)

Hi Carissa - I think lunch is easy but potentially very boring if you don't make an effort. I feel very righteous with my salmon salad when everyone else is eating sandwiches, though.

Keep it going everyone; I feel like we're on a roll. I'm just about to give myself a tick for day 7 of the calendar. That's a week done!

Woo hoo!!

How's everyone else getting on? :)

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker since last week (when I also started the W30) and want to say how great and inspiring you all are! 

For me, I find the hardest: (1) not stepping on the scale... I've done this a few days already and can't seem to stop myself. (2) eating actual "meals" on a plate, a table, with no distractions. Between work and my one-year old, this one's hard to manage. I've been lucky to not have many cravings, except occasionally I just want a glass of milk. Weird. Not chocolate, not cookies, just milk... Doesn't help that I have a 1 year old so there's a constant supply of milk and yogurt in the house. 

Helpful things: Herbal tea and a well-stocked supply of seltzer and citrus have been crucial. Roasted cauliflower. Almond-meal breaded chicken breasts are amazing. Logging meals through MyFitnessPal helps keep me accountable (and remember what I've eaten...)

Keep it up everyone!! You are all awesome and doing great!! 

River30, I can so relate. I've stepped on the scale every day for years. It's a weird feeling to bypass it, for sure. I'm at the Scottsdale airport waiting to board and fly home. Can't wait to be in my own Whole30'd kitchen. It was tough finding anything on this particular concourse that was compliant but finally managed. I know the Whole30 site advised not starting the program when heading into a super busy or stressful time, but my daughter's wedding is on May 9 and what a great motivation. Thinking of being healthier on her big day keeps me navigating this minefield of unhealthy food. Next challenge is sailing on Wednesday evening when historically I would have had wine, cheese and crackers. So I'll be taking food I can eat and just going to keep my eye on the horizon.

Guest ABurkett

Vance:  You're a STAR!!  Eating out is HARD on the W3 - and at a work conference, wow....donut city.  If you can get through that and just get home where you are in control of your food a bit more, then you will have this nailed!

Tulip:  I put all KINDS of stuff in my salads: artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, blueberries, strawberries, olives, peaches...and then whatever protein source I have that is already cooked...

ABurkett:  GOOD FOR YOU for seeking out a doctor who might help you.  Have you read ISWF?  The book sure implies that all sorts of ills such as the ones you are dancing with right now can be addressed or minimized by the Whole 30.  I hope you find that to be true.  Don't be TOO hard on yourself about the binge eating of compliant foods.  It is really important that you not be hungry - I'd prioritize that over worrying about binge eating right now.  Get through the 30 days first and see if it helps some of your core conditions....then do another Whole 30 or 14 or 7 to address the binge eating.  Rome was NOT built in a day.  You've got this!

Merge,

I purchased It Starts With Food today. Super excited! I had to finish previously purchased books before I could commit to another. I have a tendency to purchase books and not finish them.

Well, onto ISWF! :)  

Morning!

I buy books all the time without finishing the one I'm reading! As I'm an English teacher, it's a bit of an occupational hazard. :/

Today is going to be a challenge. I've slept really poorly for the last two nights, which I think is caused by having a busy head rather than the change in diet - I slept like a baby all last week during the school hols.

So, I need to be extra focused and not stray because I feel sorry for myself.

Have a good day everyone.

I feel sad. No particular reason (there is stuff going on to make me sad but really isn't there always? Normally it doesn't effect me so much). Maybe I am grieving for wine and chocolate? Lol. Today was better than yesterday, hopefully tomorrow will be better. Making sure to get lots of starchy veggies, hopefully that will help :). Made an awesome red chicken curry in my pressure cooker for meal 3, it was happiness in a bowl, amazing.

Hi River. Welcome! Put your scale in the cupboard!!! I really wanted to step on yesterday but resisted.

Vance - You are really proving it IS possible to eat this way even with challenges. I am loving reading the ways you are making it work.

Tulip - how did you go?

Hi to every one else.

Guest ABurkett

Kage,

I hope you cheer up today :) you are awesome and remember your strength!

And Red Curry Chicken sounds so amazing!

Hi Kage and fellow travellers on the whole30 journey!

I am doing OK, but I'm being a bit of a ratbag because I am tired.  Normally, I would cheer myself up with something tasty and unhealthy but I have resisted so far.

I hope my sense of equilibrium will return when I've had a better night's sleep.

Keep swimming everyone!!

x

Hi Kage and everyone! I'm feeling the blues as well- particularily in the morning. For myself I'm wondering if it does have something to do with my thyroid and the lack of carbs on this plan. I've recently been exploring my thyroid issues with a naturopath and am on a new medication which I thought was supposed to help but the last few days- crying randomly at things (don't get me going about those vids on Facebook where they save dogs and make them happy again !!)

Anyway, I'm really trying not to make sure that I do have some starchy carb each day- I eat a lot of raw carrots and sweet potatoe with dinner- blueberries sometimes. I've read in a number of places that those who are nypothyroid and/or have impacted adrenals (I do) need to be careful in how low they go.

Wow- Ladyshanny- thanks for posting the above link- I really like it - I bookmarked her blog too. What am I grieving for -coffee with cream and it's not that flimsy half and half cream- I get excited just thinking about it. this morning I begged my husband for a sniff of his!!God almighty I love coffee with cream!!! :)

• Administrators

Hi Kage and everyone! I'm feeling the blues as well- particularily in the morning. For myself I'm wondering if it does have something to do with my thyroid and the lack of carbs on this plan. I've recently been exploring my thyroid issues with a naturopath and am on a new medication which I thought was supposed to help but the last few days- crying randomly at things (don't get me going about those vids on Facebook where they save dogs and make them happy again !!)

Anyway, I'm really trying not to make sure that I do have some starchy carb each day- I eat a lot of raw carrots and sweet potatoe with dinner- blueberries sometimes. I've read in a number of places that those who are nypothyroid and/or have impacted adrenals (I do) need to be careful in how low they go.

ABSOLUTELY lack of carbs can affect women, particularly in the week leading up to and of our periods.  Not sure about the thyroid connection, to be honest, not my wheelhouse.  But, if you are still feeling low increase those starchies.  If you usually have one fist sized serving with dinner, try one at lunch and one at dinner?  

For myself, I do not crave or need or want starchy veggies from 2 days before my period ends until the week before it starts again.  Once that pre-week comes though, I wouldn't advise anyone to get between me and my sweet potatoes/garlic roasted potatoes! 

It can't be an accident that we're all experiencing a low mood for one reason or another.

I've managed to behave myself all day, despite feeling grumpy and want to see through day 8.

Hope all's well! :)

I have also felt really upset today! Have been having digestive issues as well so was second-guessing the whole thing and whether this was a right move.

It's been a tough day today! So just trying to remember why I want to keep going!

Guest ABurkett

Don't give up ladies. Try and remember why you started.

You are respecting your whole self in these 30 days.

You have nothing to lose here.

I am cheerleading for you all. Please look in the mirror and remember your strength.

"Mama said there would be days like this"

:)

Thanks everyone for the bone broth pointers. I will pick up some bones at our farmers mkt on Saturday and give it a go...no slow cooker, but I can just use the stove, right? And, does roasting the bone mean putting them in a dry pot for the first round of cooking as lo-lo described, or do you roast them in the oven? Sorry to be so dense about this.

I felt pretty teary today...but under stress and also still dealing with my mother's stuff...In a couple of weeks my mom's main caregiver will come back to town and it will be the first time i have seen her since my mom died...we both know we will turn into puddles then...but, by then I should have three weeks behind meow the W30....in a strange way I believe it is making me stronger and clearer headed.

Cheers to you all...keep up the great work! We've gotten through a good number of days now...soon it will be the halfway mark!

• Administrators

Yes you can do bone broth on the stove, I find one of those little wire deelie-bobs that you put under the pot to help regulate the temperature works excellently. I've done 48 hour bone broth in a huge stock pot on the stove with no problems at all.

Sometimes I roast and sometimes I don't, depends entirely on how lazy I feel. I oven roast, I've never heard of dry roasting in the crockpot, personally.

Archived