Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

Hi there team! Yes, food boredom is setting in...and I've been slow to move forward with making new stuff...perhaps this week will bring a chance to do that. Didn't even get around to my bone broth this weekend...well, maybe will start it tomorrow.

I sort of feel as though I have emptied my bag of tricks...and need a few good ones.

I've been eating a bit too often between meals...mostly a handful of nuts, or some olives...but I know it isn't the best idea. My goal is to use the rest of this whole 30 to perfect a few great supports and recipes, to de in the exercise a bit more, and be mindful of the foods that hit me hard. I am also still on the fruit for dessert after almost every meal plan...and that doesn't need to be there either.

My clothes are definitely fitting better and I do feel clearer headed and more energetic, although, for the past week, I could sleep 11 hours and not skip a beat. I did have some kombucha last evening before dinner and had some trouble sleeping...wonder if it was the sugar in there, or the caffeine in the tea? I will see how I do tonight.

We are all doing great in our own ways...learning and improving....cmon everyone, let's see this through!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Merge

There is definitely caffeine in tea but I don't know if Kombucha is the same.

In some ways, yesterday was my toughest day mentally, but I managed to keep going with some nuts at the right moment and giving myself a good talking to.

This is the start of day 13 for me - nearly halfway. Eek!

Have a good day, everyone! :)

Day 12 for me and managed to avoid a myriad of problems over the weekend with many cakes and set menus. Got my results back from the food intolerance lab and it turns out I am intolerant to eggs, almonds and coconut  (just a few on the list, there were 17 others!), so I've got to be very careful with what I'm eating now.

I plan on trying to stick to Whole30 as closely as possible, but remove all my intolerances for the remaining days. I know I've heard of people getting sick of eggs but now what am I going to do?

Either way will figure it out!

Hello everyone! Day 13 here and had my first night of a full 8 hours of sleep last night. Feels awesome. Last time that happened, I was on a business trip away from my 9 month old.

Tulip - The dinner party went great! I made lamb loin chops with fresh morels, cauliflower rice, slow roasted tomatoes, and a salad of mache, asparagus and ramps. Apps were some guac, olives, veggies, AND I even made Daniel Boulud's madelines for dessert and didn't touch the batter or the lovely finished product at all. I drank pellegrino out of a champagne glass :) 

Merg - me and you, working on no eating between meals! I have to say that my closet has never been so organized -- because one of the things I do when I think I want a snack at night is to organize stuff. :) 

A bit of Monday humor for you... I haven't been able to tell how my body has been changing, so I asked my husband, "Do you think I look any better lately?" (He's not doing the W30 with me). His answer: "Ehhh... well actually, I think you've lost some weight from your face." My FACE?? Thanks dude... yeah that's exactly where I wanted to get toned.

Mind you, I was 5'3" 130 lbs when I started this, so it's not like I had rolls under my chin or anything like that. Anyway, it was entertaining to hear. But then, I saw a picture that someone took of me over the weekend, and I thought the same thing: "Oh wow, my face looks nicer."

What kind of compliments have you all received from others since you've started?? I think it would be encouraging to hear -- and to share -- and give us the motivation to get over the mid-way hump.

CHEERS and Happy Monday!

I had a very nice compliment last Wednesda. It was from somebody who had not seen me in a few months. It did feel really nice- in fact I had just been thinking to myself earlier that day that people weren't noticing any more. (I've lost 60 lbs since 2012- in definitely a 2 steps down one step back up kind of way).

Took to the book (ISWF) last night and am now planning on checking out some blogs. I made a mayo yesterday and today I made one of the salad dressings in the book. Quite delicious!

gm20- sorry about all of those food alergy issues! That sucks!

Evening all

Lo-lo55 - I bet your friends can tell a difference if you've lost that much weight. Well done!

I have been badgering my husband and sons for compliments and they've conceded that my tummy looks flatter, so good news there!

I still need to find some time to try out new recipes do I don 't have to resort to salad every day for lunch.

I'm ticking off day 13 on my calendar!

Sweet dreams all. Off to bed now.

I still need to find some time to try out new recipes do I don 't have to resort to salad every day for lunch.

Leftovers are always a good option.

Besides leftovers, my go-to lunch is either chicken or salmon salad made with homemade mayo, celery, and sometimes compliant pickles, along with a sweet potato (also topped with mayo).  If I get bored with that, I'll swap in sardines or compliant prosciutto as my protein.

Good morning, everyone! Day 15!

The strangest thing happened, I slept for 9 (nine!) hours last night. I don't even remember when that happened the last time. I went to bed at 8.30, turned of the lights at 9.00 and thought, great, I am going to be awake at 4 at the latest, like usual. Even on the weekends I wake up at 6 and can't sleep anymore. I usually try not to go to bed early, so that I sleep at least until 6 when the alarm goes off. So I was really surprised this morning. And I feel good.

So, let's see what oter surprises are waiting in the second half of the wohle30.

With so many Paleo/Whole30 blogs around, I don't have a problem with food boredom. We are trying out so many new things, like sweet potatoe hash browns with eggs for breakfast, very good. Lunch is usually a salad at my desk at work, and dinner with different veggies, roasted or steemed, protein, and sometimes more salad. I do spend a lot more time cooking though.

So, hang in there, we'll manage the second half too!

Day 12, I think, yep day 12. The days are starting to blend together. I am alternating between wanting to eat this way forever and wanting to eat every bit of chocolate I can get my hands on. I have gone to lay in bed (because we never eat in bed aside from mothers day breakfast) to get myself away from the food. Feeling tired and yuck today but I had my flu vax yesterday so I guess it is to be expected.

Karen - yay for the sleep, that is awesome. I hope it continues for you.

GM20 - wow those food intolerances really increase the challenge of doing a whole30. I'm sure you will manage it.

River - lol at your husband. Mine said he could notice my legs looking slimmer. Can't complain about that :)

Hi Tulip, Merg, Vance, Lo-lo55 and every one else (hmmm quite a few people started but haven't posted again, I wonder how they are going??).

Hello everyone!

After having a short chat with a nutritionist this morning regarding my food intolerances, I've decided I'm taking a step back from the Whole30 currently and am going to develop my own food plan to deal with my intolerances which is basically going to be mostly Whole30 but with limited grains that I don't have an issue with (oats, rice and corn apparently) while I cut out the 20 items that were on my list of intolerances.

I'm hoping that after I deal with that (need to do that for 3 months), then I'll have time to come back to the Whole30 in the future.

I wish you all the best with the rest of your journeys! Good luck!

Thanks, GFChris - I need to make a bigger dinner so I've got some leftovers! Organisation is key!

Great news on the sleep front, Karen.  I'm sleeping as normal really - including the 4am wakeup sometimes.

I'm still here, Kage, and like you, I keep forgetting which day I am on - I think it's day 13.  I don't know whether losing track shows I'm obsessing about it or whether I'm not concentrating properly. :)

Thanks for your good wishes, GM20 - I hope things resolve themselves.

Stick at it, team!

• Administrators

Thanks, GFChris - I need to make a bigger dinner so I've got some leftovers! Organisation is key!

Great news on the sleep front, Karen.  I'm sleeping as normal really - including the 4am wakeup sometimes.

I'm still here, Kage, and like you, I keep forgetting which day I am on - I think it's day 13.  I don't know whether losing track shows I'm obsessing about it or whether I'm not concentrating properly. :)

Thanks for your good wishes, GM20 - I hope things resolve themselves.

Stick at it, team!

Perhaps losing track means that this is becoming old hat to you and there is no need to cross days off?  ;)

Hi all! I am writing this to you as I finish an amazing lunch of calamari salad with cherry tomatoes, arugula and red onion over warm cauliflower rice, with lemon - olive oil dressing. I used to think that I was a pretty good home cook, but I've never cooked as much, or as enthusiastically, as in the past two weeks. And ironically, I also don't think I've ever gotten as much pleasure out of food. Really liking all of the "fringe benefits" of this program -- I'm not going to want to stop after 30 days! 

Today I wore a pencil skirt to work that's always been a little snug (just on the side of being too tight to wear to work), and today it looked SO GOOD and not trashy at all, hah :) Really amazing that that's happened in only 2 weeks!

Tulip -- have you tried on the dress that you're going to wear to the wedding?? 

Karen - congrats on rocking the sleep front!

Kage - hope you feel better! Download a good book or splurge on a few ridiculous magazines while you're hunkered down.

GM - best wishes! Hope you find what works for you.

CHEERS, all!

Hi All!! 

I have been mostly an observer of this post, I check it for updates a couple times a day when I get time! I think today is Day 15 for me!! So exciting

As of right now, my pants feel really big on me honestly.. So that's always great! 

My days are getting longer because I have more energy and I don't feel like I need to be in bed by 9 to have some energy, but if I want to that's still fine (because I like my bed haha!) 

I made some amazing Kale soup with Chorizo over the weekend and have leftovers for my lunch. Seriously so good!! I follow the Whole30 Recipes page on Instagram and they have lots of yummy recipes!

Whole30 Paleo Mayo also, if you haven't tried.. go make some, will be life changing!!  

Hi Ladyshanny

I hope you are right! It's funny how deciding you are doing it for 30 days really makes you reflect on your feelings about food. I could have eaten the foods I've decided to exclude but, on reflection, I know they are not going to make me feel good. So, for now, they are staying off the menu. Doing this makes you really evaluate your eating habits for the future. I hope my resolve stays strong, so that I can reintroduce some things but retain a health relationship with food.

River30 - that lunch sounds delish! I love calamari and can't remember the last time I had it - so there's a new food idea.

Hi Carissa - sounds as if it's going brilliantly. You must be doing everything right! :)

• Administrators

It's funny how deciding you are doing it for 30 days really makes you reflect on your feelings about food. 

My first Whole30 I was actually astonished at how often I reached to put food in my mouth outside of meal times and for reasons that had nothing to do with hunger or a need for fuel.  

mindless eating- I find that I do it alot when I'm cooking- a piece of carrot here or celery there-I've become quite conscious of it now that I'm doing this program.

Good- luck to you GM20- sad to see you go!!

Feeling very good today- 3rd good sleep in a row!! Bought 2 new types of tea today-one is an apple pie roobios that does not taste artificial- soooo good!

I'll bet that the second half is going to go by much faster than the first because people are feeling so good.

I'm getting quite aware of my muscles. I've been doing workouts with a barbell and free weights at home once a week. I  can't beilieve what a difference it's been making-makes me happy!

Way to go everyone!! Pushing on through!!!

My first Whole30 I was actually astonished at how often I reached to put food in my mouth outside of meal times and for reasons that had nothing to do with hunger or a need for fuel.

This is me to a tee. My first whole30 i still found myself doing it. A few nuts here a couple of pieces of dried fruit there... this time i have made a huge effort to eat mindfully. I need to break that habit.

Feeling very good today- 3rd good sleep in a row!! Bought 2 new types of tea today-one is an apple pie roobios that does not taste artificial- soooo good!

I'll bet that the second half is going to go by much faster than the first because people are feeling so good.

I'm getting quite aware of my muscles. I've been doing workouts with a barbell and free weights at home once a week. I can't beilieve what a difference it's been making-makes me happy!

Way to go everyone!! Pushing on through!!!

This post made me smile, a lot.

Hi Carissa - yes you were one of the people I was thinking about :) glad to hear you are going so well. Yay for loose pants. (My work pants were definitely feeling a little more roomy yesterday than 12 days ago :))

GM - goodluck! It sounds like you have a plan now that will be best for you. Hope you can find your way to feeling amazing.

River - I bet everyone at work noticed the pencil skirt too, even if they didn't say any thing :)

Tulip - I think partly it means we are happy and going with the flow rather than obsessing over how many days we have left etc. It is definitely a good thing :)

Dear friends, we made it!!! Half way there!! It has seemed like a long two weeks, but maybe that's because I've been sort of on the plan since my first false starts in February...loll, I hope you are right about the next two weeks going faster!

You will be pleased to know that I FINAlly have bones roasting for bone broth. Will get it started tonight.

There are so MANY ways I could improve my relationship with food...for now, I think I will really focus on getting through this first Whole 30...then maybe ramp up for another one with a different emphasis...like no eating between meals, or more exercise, etc. I've found that if I make something TOO BIG it gets overwhelming and I fail before I barely start. So, that is me...being a bear...one thing at a time....but I AM feeling so good...and I know I am looking better too.

Must say, from time to time I wonder: can I really live the rest of my life without (fill in here: cookies, bread, croissants, cheese, tiramisu...wine, champagne...). I know that M & D say you can indulge a little from time to time, but I wonder if I really can...

Cheers, my comrades....we are on the downhill slope now.

• Administrators

from time to time I wonder: can I really live the rest of my life without (fill in here: cookies, bread, croissants, cheese, tiramisu...wine, champagne...). I know that M & D say you can indulge a little from time to time, but I wonder if I really can...

I think there are things you have to figure out if you can handle. I have some total off-the-rails-takes-weeks-nay-months-to-get-back-on-track and then I have some things that I can enjoy and just move on and back to W30style right away. It's taken awhile to figure them out.

I guess that's what we're all here to work out.  I really hope that stripping things back in the way we are doing will make me more mindful of what I eat and, when I do go 'off-piste', I need strategies for getting back 'on-piste', if you get my drift.

Day 15 going OK here.  Ran out of time to make a salad for lunch so I've ordered one from the canteen.  What a good girl, I am. :)

Great to hear from everyone.

How is the bone broth going Merg!!? Excited for you!

Not much to say today other than I had a beautiful breakfast which was very filling. I had a number of things go wrong yesterday afternoon and evenng. This led to some anxiety. I also got really hungry as dinner took longer to make than expected. I dealth with this by going for a brisk 20 minute walk which includes a lot of hills. It was a good choice to make. I probably ate a litttle too much  roast chicken but I guess that I just needed it.

Feeling a little cagey this morning. :(

Archived