Where can I find Whole30 approved bacon

hiirenehigh

I see all these lovely blogs from people who have done the Whole30 and they always have bacon. I have searched high and low for bacon, I have even went to farm stores. I'm just wondering if maybe I'm being too picky and maybe there is something I don't know. Or can anyone tell me if they know of a brand or place to get bacon.

Thanks,

Heather High

This has been discussed a lot on the forum. You can search using Google (just add Whole30 to your search) for better results than the forum search. If youlook below you will also see a bunch of topics also tagged with bacon.

US Wellness Meats is a Whole30 approved source but other than that you just need to keep looking. Even if we give you a brand name that is compliant where we are it could vary from region to region.

• Moderators

If you can't find bacon, you could try prosciutto instead -- it's much easier to find in a compliant version, and if you bake it, you'll get a similar salty crunchiness to bacon. Try the Porkitos recipe from Nom Nom Paleo if you just want something crunchy to add to your roast vegetables or to put in a salad.

• Administrators

In my locale, I have a British butcher that makes bacon that is compliant.  It's a dry cure that he brings in from England.  It's worth checking at some of the smaller, independant butchers.  Sometimes they'll even make something just for you, if you ask nicely! 

I think it also makes sense to read this post on why bacon gets at best a yellow light on your w30.

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/

Also keep in mind that just because someone says "whole 30" it doesn't mean they are buying compliant bacon. Perhaps they read someone else's blog and saw bacon and thought, yay, I can eat bacon.

As I just wrote on another thread, the w30 has taken on a life of its own online and it seems there are a lot of people operating under misinformed guidelines, like a game of telephone the rules are changing as they pass from Instagram account to blog to FB post. Handle with care!

I love bacon as much as the next person but I've survived three w30s without bacon just fine. I'm also much more picky about sourcing my pork since I started thinking about pigs being the most abused and ill-treated food source animals.

Archived