So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage

iamahoneybee

So this relates to me and my 16 month old daughter...

I'm wondering about the ingredients in this coconut milk beverage (not the canned coconut milk).  

When swtiched from breastmilk at 14 months to cow's milk we learned she has a senstivity to it (so many toots and belly aches!). So we switched to Silks/Trader Joe's Almond Milk, but that gave her the worst diaper rash. So now we are on a blend of goats milk and coconut milk and it's been working well but I'm not sure about all the stuff in the coconut milk that I see if the different brands. Of couse I'd love to give her something simple like just goats milk but is works out to be like $18 a gallon at trader joe's  :wacko: and damn!

Right now we have Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage at home...

Ingredients: ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, GUAR GUM, XANTHAN GUM, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-beverages/unsweetened

1. How bad is this stuff?

2. Is it whole30 compliant? I don't feel the need to drink it, just curious.

Thanks guys!

(I'm doing my second Whole30 now. First in Feb, now I'm on Day 6!)

It's water-diluted coconut cream with a multivitamin and various gums to enhance thickness, texture, and to keep things from settling out. Blech.

This is my personal opinion, but I can't see how stuff like this can be considered compliant, when the Whole30 goal is eat real foods. 

lucie

It's water-diluted coconut cream with a multivitamin and various gums to enhance thickness, texture, and to keep things from settling out. Blech.

This is my personal opinion, but I can't see how stuff like this can be considered compliant, when the Whole30 goal is eat real foods. 

lucie

So then is it just the same to get a can of compliant coconut cream and dilute it with water?

I'm new to the alternative milks... I avoided soy and rice for her to I jumped to nut (almond) since she had no problems eating it (along with peanut butter) but it was an issue to her skin. Instead of trying other nut milks I tried coconut milk beverage, but I don't know much about it.

Thanks for your previous responses. So helpful!

Again this is my personal opinion...

I guess I'd ask myself WHY I was looking to drink this. What nutritional benefit are you trying to achieve? Coconut cream is a fat source, are you looking to add fat to a meal? 

Personally, I would thin out canned coconut milk--maybe start with 25/75 milk to water and give her that. Again just my opinion! You can find more compliant, fewer additives canned milk that would be better for her. And little ones need the fat for brain development and hormonal development as well. 

another option to consider: just don't give her milk. Once children are old enough to eat solid food, they don't need milk to drink any more than adults do. She can have water to drink and good fats to eat just like an adult would and it's fine. 

If she seems to have an emotional attachment to drinking milk, you could give her the thinned out canned stuff, but no reason to think it is the only way to get that nutrition into her diet, so when it starts becoming a hassle or if she doesn't like it so much don't worry a bit. she will be fine without.

Again this is my personal opinion...

I guess I'd ask myself WHY I was looking to drink this. What nutritional benefit are you trying to achieve? Coconut cream is a fat source, are you looking to add fat to a meal? 

I mentioned in my first post that my daughter is allergic to cow's milk & almond milk, so I am doing a combo of goat's milk and coconut. She is very small (5%) so the fat is good for her. While I am wondering if it is whole30 approved, I was also wondering about the stuff in it as I was giving it to my daughter. Thanks

another option to consider: just don't give her milk. Once children are old enough to eat solid food, they don't need milk to drink any more than adults do. She can have water to drink and good fats to eat just like an adult would and it's fine. 

If she seems to have an emotional attachment to drinking milk, you could give her the thinned out canned stuff, but no reason to think it is the only way to get that nutrition into her diet, so when it starts becoming a hassle or if she doesn't like it so much don't worry a bit. she will be fine without.

She has been to nutritionists to help get her weight up. Started at 3rd%, now up to 7%... woohoo!!

They suggested to give her heavy cream in her bottles with breast milk and then milk (as we transitioned from breastmilk). We did that briefly but there is sweetener and carrageenan in it so once her weight started to go up we ditched it. 

You are correct, she could be drinking just water at this point but the focus for her is to keep the fats up... avocado, hummus, full fat yogurt, butter, nut butters, etc. I am hoping to move past milk sooner than later, but the extra fats is what keeps that going at this point. 

I will try to thin out the canned stuff to help transition to just water once we get the okay to. Thanks!!

I love the W30 community! 

"the focus for her is to keep the fats up"

There's your answer to the question I asked. Sorry for the confusion but that wasn't mentioned in the first post, instead you mentioned Silks and TJ's almond milks which aren't fatty, so I didn't catch the fat goal. Some people like to feed kids milk for the calcium or because kids are "supposed to drink it". But you've maybe found a great option for your kiddo -- nice fatty coconut milk. :)  YUM!

LucieB

"the focus for her is to keep the fats up"

There's your answer to the question I asked. Sorry for the confusion but that wasn't mentioned in the first post, instead you mentioned Silks and TJ's almond milks which aren't fatty, so I didn't catch the fat goal. Some people like to feed kids milk for the calcium or because kids are "supposed to drink it". But you've maybe found a great option for your kiddo -- nice fatty coconut milk. :)  YUM!

LucieB

sorry!! I'm losing my mind! ha! I thought I said it. I 'mentally' said it. I swear I 'say' things but just imagine it. ugh. my brain is in too many places at once. 

There are many more ways to get calcium than milk. I'll be happy once we ditch all of this behind. 

Thanks. Lucie!!

Don't forget that you can also stir extra fat into her foods. Full fat yogurt can get a boost of coconut oil, coconut cream, nut butter, etc. It can also  be added to veggies or soup or into any dipping sauces she might use, etc. There's not really a ton of fat in coconut or nut milks when you look at it in the context of grams of fat versus volume of food/liquid. The alternative milks are going to take up a lot of room in her tummy versus how many calories they're giving her. They may also depress her appetite so that she's not as hungry at meal or snack times which, of course, are your prime opportunities to get her loaded up with fat.

And if you're worried about additives, coconut milk is actually really easy to make at home. If you keep coconut flakes on hand then you can just make it as needed.

Archived