HELP: Day 23 and sudden extreme knee pain

So, I began my whole 30 23 days ago. Week one was easy (minus the cravings for a couple of days) and I felt good. I have noticed weight loss, and looser clothes. However, since midway through week 2, my knees have become very inflammed, stiff, and it is hard to walk after I have been sitting or laying for more than a couple of minutes. My elbows are also a little stiff

I even eliminated nightshades from my diet once this began, and that was over a week or 10 days ago, and still the pain and immobility is here.

Background: I am 29, male, and have never had any knee issues, joint pain of any kind. My diet was exceptionally bad for an extended period of time before beginning the whole 30, so I just assumed that this was my body reacting. Along w/ the sore knees, every morning when I get up (since week 2), my arms will be broken out and splotchy as well.

I'm not really sure what to do. I began taking Fish Oil Capsules 3 days ago, and my knees are a little better than they were at their worst (about 7 days ago).

Any thoughts on what could be happening and why, and how to help this go away would be AMAZING!

Signed,

A confused newbie trying to stay the course.

I have been eating the followig foods (mainly) the past 10-14 days which is when the knee inflammation started:

Proteins:

Ground Beef

Chicken

Salmon & Monkfish

Ground Turkey

Eggs (nearly daily)

Nuts (not often, but some raw almonds, cashews, etc.)

Vegetables:

Spaghetti & Summer Squash

Zucchini

Spring Mix

Kale

Asparagus

Fruit and other:

Berries (blue, black, raspberries, strawberries)

Clementines

Apples

Garlic

Raw Coconut

Coconut Aminos

I think the weird thing is just that while I am/was very out of shape and eating a fast food sort of diet, I never felt any joint pain at all. Suddenly, on week 2 of the whole 30, that arises and I am completely baffled and stressed out. I am still going to finish my whole 30, and THEN some, but I would lvoe some sort of explanation for this.

Reading about Gout makes me think I was a prime candidate based on diet and lifestyle prior to the whole 30. Would going from one extreme to another (the whole 30) cause any sort of issues?

• Administrators

Reading about Gout makes me think I was a prime candidate based on diet and lifestyle prior to the whole 30. Would going from one extreme to another (the whole 30) cause any sort of issues?

We aren't medical professionals here so can only offer a guess....but going from one extreme to the Whole30 could cause your immune system to weaken slightly (which is why people will commonly get a cold or the flu when they first start a Whole30) which could have allowed something to take hold?

You should probably go and see a doctor.

• Administrators

also--the week that ths pain started, I was eating a TON of nightshades. Tomatoes, Peppers and Eggplant and potatoes nearly every meal. Not sure if there is a correlation.

OK....well then there's this.  If you came off a junk-food based diet and then inserted a "ton" of nightshades, you could be having an inflammatory response to them.  This can take quite a while to calm down after you eliminate the nightshades.  

If you think you are nightshade sensitive, you should also watch what seasonings and spices you are using.

I will definitely monitor the nightshades--thanks for your responses. It's good to know that sensitivities to them can take a while to calm down after a possible incident! I'll update this thread as I continue my journey!

Diabetes and gout can often  show up hand in hand....have you ever been checked for either of those?  Gout shows up first and diabetes can show up after.   If your legs start to swell, get to the doctor.  I'd go anyway, like Lady Shanny recommends.   A gout attack will affect the elbows, knees, toes....the pain is almost unbearable.  You can't even put a sheet on your body without pain.  If  it is gout, the legs can swell to twice the normal size.  

If it is a gout attack, those crystals can do damage to the joints.  You don't want that, if caught early no lasting damage to the joints.  They'll give you meds to get rid of excess uric acid.

If you've started eating more meat than you were prior...it can trigger gout that was lying there already in waiting.

There is hope.  Regardless of what you were eating before, fast foods and maybe (beer  :ph34r:, especially the darker ones )....you can really change your life by getting out of that loop today.   You can turn that ship around but it takes determination.

Archived