My first Whole 30 Day 1

Curly

Well here it goes, my first whole 30!  I am hoping to break my sugar addiction and reap some great health benifits!  My body is so out of wack!  I am desperate for something to bring me back into balance once again and to be able to loose weight.  It has taken me almost 4 years just to loose 40 pounds, only recently to gain back 20.  So depressing!  I found out that I have a gluten allergy,  corn doesn't like my stomach either,  I also have to be careful with peppers and raw tomatoes.  Some of the things I have all ready eliminated so I wont be missing them much on the whole 30.  I follow a somewhat primal diet before the whole 30 about 80/20.   With the exception of finding myself eating chocolate candy and dipping into my daughters Easter candy stash or what ever candy stash she has.  I even made paleo versions of buckeye candy.  My addiction is terrible.  Must stop the sugar once and for all!  Hoping this will help.  

Today I ate for breakfast...  I made Paleo scotch balls very filling but I didn't eat any veggies.

Lunch  I had a spinach salad with left over steak, avocado, sliced strawberries, carrot and cucumber with homemade olive oil dressing.

Dinner  I had turned my left over pork roast into a stir fry.  It had garlic, onion, snap pea pods, broccoli, and spiral sliced zucchini, coconut aminos, 

I ended up eating a snack this evening because I was so hungry.   I realize I didn't eat enough fat at dinner.  I felt good all day.  So I ate a few slices of apple and some almonds.  

Day 2!

Had a rough night and woke up around 2 to use the bathroom and could not fall back to sleep.  Finally around 4:30 I managed to get back to sleep.  Not sure what the problem was there.  I woke up feeling ok but tired.

This is what I have eaten and will eat later...

Breakfast I saute'd some spinach in olive oil with salt and lemon juice.  very yummy,  I ate a left over scotch ball,  I have 2 more left.  Strawberries with coconut milk on top,  not sure if this is considered SWYPO, so if someone could let me know on that. I didn't add anything to the coconut milk but I did whip it with my electric mixer to make is creamy.  

I did a 30 minutes of yoga which left me feeling limp and not feeling too good, so I ate a yellow greenish banana, and a handful of almonds and I felt better.  I know the banana probably not the best choice but I didn't think I could stomach a sweat potato.  

Lunch I had left over pork and veggie stir fry with raw cashews.

Dinner I am going to have a hamburger patty on lettuce with my homemade mayo, avacado and maybe a couple of my pickles, they are homemade so I know that they are safe to eat.  And a large salad with my dressing i made.  

Hoping tonight I will sleep better.  

There are probably better people to comment on the SWYPO verdict, but it seems like it is leaning over the SWYPO line to me. I don't know what happens to coconut milk when you whip it - does it come out appearing somewhat like a whipped cream? If so, then I would say it's not okay.

For breakfast, I would try to get in more veggies than the spinach. It takes a lot of spinach to get to 2-3 cooked cups. I have been steaming up asparagus and broccoli to have with breakfast recently, which I like since I can use my hands to eat them. For scotch ball, you mean scotch egg, right? It's recommended that when you use eggs as your protein that you eat as many as you can hold in your hand. I've got small girly hands and I can hold three, four if I'm really hungry :)

For the sleep issues, do you have somewhere else you can move to in your house if you can't fall asleep? My husband has issues of waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to fall back asleep, but he seems to fall asleep fine if he moves to the spare bedroom or the couch.

The coconut milk does whips up like whipped cream so it must be over the line.  I whipped it to give it a better texture cause it was chunky coming straight out of the can, I added nothing to it.    My scotch balls are a hard boiled egg wrapped in ground sausage and baked in the oven.  They are quite filling to me and look like giant meatballs and fill my hand.  So the egg takes up a large portion of it.   I will remember that about the eggs fitting as many as you can hold.  I have small hands too so I may need to add another.      I probably had about a cup of cooked spinach so I will have to add more veggies to breakfast.  I am finding myself getting hungry in the evening.  I am full when I eat dinner as well as my other meals.  So what do I do when I feel full at meals and it appears I am not eating enough?  

I wonder what people will say for your question about feeling full!  I'm curious myself.

I know there's the food template which helps and I know having enough fats and proteins at the meal will help carry you through, but I also wonder if there is just an adjustment period as our bodies are learning how to fuel themselves more consistently.  I'm just starting up another Whole30 and I see myself eating really big portions like I did before at the start.  I know some of it is that I'm scared of being hungry or having cravings before the next meal.  In my past Whole30's my portion sizes seemed to naturally shrink down within a few weeks.  

I also remember reading that if you must snack, to make it a mini meal with the fat, protein, and veggies instead of just one thing.

Oh - and here I am totally stuffed from dinner, but wanting something more.  I think it's the desire for sugar.  In these moments I usually go brush my teeth or make some herbal tea or :) just get my body to bed!!!!

Hope tonight's sleep goes better!!!  I hate when I'm stuck awake after getting up to go to the bathroom!!!!

Curly, here's a link to the meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Weekday breakfast is the hardest for me to get in veggies, since I eat it at my desk at work. I like hard-boiled eggs, and I usually bring two with me to work, but since it's hard for me to eat more than two, I try to supplement with some compliant lunch meat - I've had best luck finding compliant roast beef and prosciutto.

Emma is correct, if you find yourself hungry between meals, it is best to have a mini-meal of protein, veggies, and fat, instead of nuts and fruit. When you snack on nuts/fruit, despite that they're both compliant, it's easier to fall back into mindless eating (hand repeatedly goes into bag of almonds/blueberries is really close to hand repeatedly goes into bag of cookies) and it can be a pretty big sugar rush to just have fruit.

Are you buying coconut milk or coconut cream? I recently discovered there seems to be a difference. I normally buy coconut milk (which I use for curry and sometimes coffee), and it's pretty liquid when opened - still best to shake it before opening. I bought coconut cream at the store last week and shook the heck outta the can, but when I opened it, it was completely solid. No amount of shaking would've helped. I needed it for curry, so it was fine for my usage.

As for not being hungry for dinner or other meals, I would prepare your meal as planned and portion out on your plate according to the meal template, then eat until you feel full. You can wrap up what's left if you can't finish it and have that later as a mini-meal.

How's your Wednesday going?

Day 3!  

I struggled to eat Breakfast and lunch, but dinner was a different story.  I decided to try taking a digestive enzyme before dinner and I was able to eat it better.  It was hard at first but it must have started to kick in.  I don't know if that was it or not but,  I was able to eat almost everything on my plate.  That was the best I have done.  My breakfast this morning I could barely eat I tried to finish at lunch which I still couldn't eat it.  I started getting hungry at 3:30 and I had jerky in the dehydrator that I was making so I snacked on that and it held me over till I got dinner prepared.  I do have the meal template printed out and on my refrigerator so I can look at it to make sure I am putting on my plate what I am supposed to.  

As for my coconut milk,  It says milk on the can but it is solid as solid could be.  I have found that not all brands of coconut milk are the same.  Some are liquidy in the can and others are solid.  This one I have hardly has any ingredients added to it.  The ones around here that have more added things to it seem to be liquidy.  

What about soup for breakfast? I have one that I just love! http://halfindiancook.com/chicken-stir-fry/I have it as the soup, with coconut aminos. Just soo good, and you can get lots of veggies that way--really wonderful if you are craving Asian cooking. You could have a bowl with a scotch egg, since the soup does have chicken in it. I would really focus on having protein/fat/vegg at breakfast and save fruit for later in the day. Some people have reported that fruit in the morning makes them hungry later on.  I tend to use fruit as a component in a meal--berries or halved grapes in a salad sorta thing.  

If you find yourself hungry in the afternoon, you could take some of your homemade jerky and add some veg and a fat to it for a mini meal. For example--a few pieces of jerky (depending on how big they are of course!), some raw carrots/celery/bell peppers or what ever kind of veggies you like, along with a dip made from homemade mayo or avocado mashed up. 

Veggie wise, I shoot for between 9 and 12 cups a day, mixed between raw and cooked. If you need any ideas for meals, you can take a peek at my instagram account if you would like- all but 1 is whole 30 compliant :-)  https://instagram.com/azureseahorse/

Today is day 5 of my whe 30! I am feeling better and eating more. It must of been a combination of eating frequent meals and needing some digestive enzymes. I had a little bloating yesterday but seems to have gone down a little today. My cravings aren't as intense, they have calmed down quite a bit. I had a weird one yesterday, I was craving cheese! I made a yummy veggie packed soup with beef, almost a stew (cause the tomatoes I put in made it thick.) last night for dinner and had some of the left overs for breakfast today. For lunch I plan on having tuna salad on a heap of romain and spinach leaves. For dinner, weather permitting...making my smoked ribs I have been marinating for the last few days. I may have saute'd green beans. Haven't fully decided on my veggies yet for dinner.

Looks like I missed posting yesterday but anyway today I am in day 7. I had a lot of energy this morning more than I have ever have. I felt like I was 20 again. It lasted most of the day and I got tired this evening. I noticed the brain fog is gone, I have more energy to do more things my bloated stomach is gone! I have been reading It start with food and amazed at what food can do to your body both good and bad. I never realized home much it really impacts all the different processes of the body. I wish the rest of my family was doing this with me. I see them eating things not on whole 30 and thinking about what I read and feeling angry, they are so hooked on the bad foods! I pray they see the positive results in me and would want to do it too. I can lead the horses to water but can't make them drink. I broke out in hives this evening not sure why, I also had them last night as well but we're gone by this morning. I posted this in the medical section as well to see if there are any answers to why it happened. I haven't done anything different. The hives are just on my neck, face and scalp and so itchy!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a while but I am now on day 25!  I have been feeling tired and have not experianced that tiger blood yet. I felt better in the begining of my whole 30.   I am considering staying on Whole 30 and go longer than the 30 days.  I have had years of damage and bad eating habits.  And many yo yo diets.  So my body is pretty screwed up!  I keep going through days where I am so bloated for no reason.  Been going through a hefty amount of stress lately that doesn't help.  

My whole 30 is complete! I ended up loosing 10 pounds! I am going to continue eating this way for a while, I didn't get that tiger blood everyone talks about. I have had a lot of issues in my body so I know it will take time to heal. Hoping I will continue to drop off weight as well!

My whole 30 is complete! I ended up loosing 10 pounds! I am going to continue eating this way for a while, I didn't get that tiger blood everyone talks about. I have had a lot of issues in my body so I know it will take time to heal. Hoping I will continue to drop off weight as well!

Heyyyy!  Congratulations!  I finished my Whole30 yesterday too.  I don't get the tiger blood either, but I figure my system is so screwed up, it will take more time.  I do, though, notice that I'm getting more done and that my energy through the day is more consistent.  I still flop down onto the sofa, but I get back up and complete another task that needs attending.  Ten pounds of weight gone is also really nice!  I lost weight too and it feels better, like I'm headed the right direction.  Congratulations again!  

Archived