Nauseous, stomach and body aches

I'm on day 12 of whole30 and having a rough go. Within the first few days, I had a little bit of nausea and belly pain that subsided. I started feeling great after. I started having nausea and belly pain around day 8 that has been on and off since then. Yesterday (day 11) I was having body aches and warmness as if I was starting to get a cold (no cold symptoms though). I was weak all day with on and off nausea/bloat/belly pain. I now have really bad nausea and belly pain and am nervous because I go back to work tonight as a nurse, working 12 hour shifts the next 5 out of 6 nights. I feel like I've been eating well, haven't strayed from the diet at all, and making sure that I'm taking in enough calories. I know my body and know that if I continue feeling the way I do now, I will have a hard time taking care of my patients, let alone myself. Could I just be getting sick or is this part of whole30? Hoping that this feeling ends soon!!

• Moderators

Your experience sounded normal until day 8. Now it doesn't sound normal. 

Saying that you have not strayed from the diet at all doesn't tell us anything. The "diet" is a huge menu that people put together in lots of different ways. Some ways that work and some that don't. What specifically have you been eating over the past few days? Knowing that, we may be able to recommend some adjustments that would help. 

Another possibility is that you are eating something that does not agree with you. Maybe something that you are eating more of now than you did before?

I have been eating a lot more of everything that I used to eat. My menu has changed everyday also so that I'm not eating the same thing everyday.

Saturday

Can't remember what I ate during the day

Dinner:grilled chicken, Apple and blueberries --after this I felt nauseous/belly pains

Sunday:

Breakfast: eggs, salsa, 1/4 avocado

Lunch: banana with almond butter

Dinner: ground beef with homemade seasoning in lettuce wrap with tomato and 1/4 avocado

Snack: mango sorbet (frozen mango, tbs like juice, water)

Monday:

Breakfast: eggs with 1/4 avocado and cup of spinach with an apple

Lunch: sweet potato wedges and carrots

Dinner: ground beef in lettuce wrap with tomato

Snack: pineapple with almond butter

I have been incorporating extra virgin olive oil in some of my dishes also (the sweet potato wedges had evoo). I haven't eaten yet today, still feeling nauseous. Thank you for your response in advance!

• Administrators

I have been eating a lot more of everything that I used to eat. My menu has changed everyday also so that I'm not eating the same thing everyday.

Saturday

Can't remember what I ate during the day

Dinner:grilled chicken, Apple and blueberries --after this I felt nauseous/belly pains

Sunday:

Breakfast: eggs, salsa, 1/4 avocado

Lunch: banana with almond butter

Dinner: ground beef with homemade seasoning in lettuce wrap with tomato and 1/4 avocado

Snack: mango sorbet (frozen mango, tbs like juice, water)

Monday:

Breakfast: eggs with 1/4 avocado and cup of spinach with an apple

Lunch: sweet potato wedges and carrots

Dinner: ground beef in lettuce wrap with tomato

Snack: pineapple with almond butter

I have been incorporating extra virgin olive oil in some of my dishes also (the sweet potato wedges had evoo). I haven't eaten yet today, still feeling nauseous. Thank you for your response in advance!

I'm not sure why your stomach and body are aching, maybe you are coming down with the flu?

I do know that you aren't really following the strong recommendations that we give for how to compose your meals.  Both your lunches that you list are missing protein and the second lunch is missing fat.

The fact that you are snacking on fruit and nut butter (poor combo, by the way, which will only keep your blood sugar spiking and your hormones out of line) is a huge indicator that you are not eating enough during the day.

Check out our meal template (linked in my signature below).  The crux of it is:

1-2 palms protein

1-3 cups veggies

1-2 thumbs fat (or half to whole avocado or handful olives)

Repeat this three times a day.  Check in with your body as you go and try to create each meal so that it lasts you 4-5 hours before you get hungry again.

PS.  The mango sorbet is non compliant.  No creating non-compliant items (especially dessert) with compliant ingredients!

Just a thought - 

Nuts, and nut butters are famous for causing overall gut discomfort.  So go very easy on these, please.

Are avocados new to you?  Meaning did you eat them before or are they relatively a new introduction for you?  The reason why I ask is that avocados for some people (I am one of these people) cause some pretty bad bloating/gut disruption.  I mean pregnant belly looking bad. If they are new to you - then maybe go easy on them.  If they are not, and you have never noticed problems before - then I wouldn't worry too much then.

Archived