Is it okay to use the Light Coconut Milk? Should it be organic?

Hi, I am sorry to post if it's been asked.

Is it okay to use the light coconut milk instead of the regular? I purchased the light Thai brand and it's 50 calories/40 from fat. I figure even the light still has a good amount of fat and it seems really creamy.

Also, do you worry about buying organic coconut milk? I know it's the stuff inside the coconut but I don't know abou thow they are grown/treated etc.

Thanks yall!

• Moderators

If you don't eat the skin, you are okay to save money by not buying organic. I buy mostly organic anyway, but that's a longer story.

The difference between regular and light coconut milk is that water is added to coconut milk to make the light stuff. You don't save money by buying the light stuff and the fat is good for you. I would use what you have, but buy the regular stuff next time.

Regular coconut milk is fabulous and I agree with Tom, the better choice. However, for convenience, I prefer to use the canned light coconut milk for my coffee. It keeps me from overdoing it since it is watered down and a little thinner. I keep it in a little blender bottle/shake container that I bought at GNC a long time ago for making protein shakes. It has a nice spout for pouring out just what I need for my morning coffee or to jazz up a quick soup of broth with a little curry paste plus leftover protein and veggies.

Thanks jhmomi. I'm drinking it in my iced coffee right now and it's perfect. A little different than my almond milk but not in a bad way. I think the light will be easier for me to deal with vs. determining how to mix it myself. Keeping it in a shaker cup in the fridge is a great idea.

Where would I look for the curry paste at the store??

Thanks yall!

Archived