Whole 7 + 30: Ready(or not) - Hep

Nadia B

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha! Love the idea that we choose the company we keep based in part on with whom we can comfortably be anal. Russian ballet and circus? My ideal weekend. Enjoy!

And of course you know your stuff re: eating around workouts and what works best for your body.

Your meals sound great to me. Caviar for breakfast? Yes, please!

Cabbage and caviar, how much more Russian can I get. Also I know what your intention was when you made a note on my post WO choice, I appreciate it :) 

Sounds like a super fun upcoming weekend, enjoy it!

I'm a bad post-w/o eater.  If I do anything it is greek yogurt with blueberries, at least there is protein and some carb...

Well, when you finally get on the other round of Whole30 (nudge nudge) you will be able to see if it makes a difference. That would be so interesting (cue giggles of a mad scientist)! 

Okay ladies, how dare you, both running people, ignore my question about running :D Just kidding. 

• Moderators

I think you must have edited the post to add the running question--I didn't see it when I checked on tapatalk, but now here it is!

If you're already running sprints, then you're probably ready to run a 5K. In fact, you can run the race in intervals, if you like. Run/walk it, even. And you can train the same way. I barely trained for the 5K I ran last weekend and had a blast. 

I didn't see the running question earlier either...

I'm with LadyM, you have enough activity/movement in your life that running a 5k shouldn't be an issue.  Slow down (or walk) as needed.  As for training, intervals are great, maybe throw in some steady state runs, a couple of miles, fairly slow.

Nudging noted...  :P

Thank you thank you Sara and LadyM   :wub: I think I will try to run 3 k or so on the weekend and see how it goes. 

Day 5. 

Wonderful sleep. Period started a week early but at least this explains the Eat All Things mode. 

6:30 am. 2 eggs, sundried tomato and 1/2 banana/sunbutter (I suspect that my ability to handle this one was overestimated, gone to the far shelf of the fridge to the time I will make the wonderful sunshine sauce. Actually make it and not buy a jar of sunbutter and eat it). Coffee.  

Planned M2. Burger patty with vegetables. Craving broccoli and plantain. 1 cup frozen berries. 

Pre WO piece of chicken and bell peppers for the crunch/Gym/Post WO chicken

Planned M3. No idea, hopefully I will figure something out as I will be in a real time crunch. 

Ballet and maybe New Orleans Jazz bar that has just opened. It is called Fat City Blues. Anything that has the word fat gets my attention  :P

Nearly fail experience. I had my post WO chicken and a banana. I was starving shortly after. Just starving. I had zero time. I mean I could take a shower and get ready for the ballet or go look for food. Convenience store was out of eggs and avocados. What?! Grabbed a trail mix from the drugstore. Raisins were complaint but cranberries were not. I picked everything but them with the meticulousness of a maniac. Giving myself an arbitary pass. Crazy times.

Off to the bar to see friends. I just wanted to go home, I am such a Granny deep down. Cheers (raises a glass of aa club soda). Damned cranberries.

We went to the bar opening and a friend was in charge for the super hyped cocktail menu. Drinks were on the house and I had to deal with the ridiculous pressure. These people never make me drink, never. Here it was more like hey sip this and offers to make something super fun without alcohol. I tried my best not to be a party pooper and not to make any deal of it. It seemed to work. Partied till 3 am at the another bar. Danced a lot. On our way back home we were passing a strip with all of the night drunkness food. Pizza, poutine etc. It smelled so good and my tummy was growling. We went to the burrito place and I ordered a small naked burrito bowl with baked chicken, sweet potatoes, guac and salsa. Eaten after a sprint in heels to catch a streetcar. Wowza what a day/night.

Day 6. Roughing it.

11 am M1. 2 eggs, piece of smoked salmon and a pile of green beans )
(J was unimpressed with my choice of a side haha). Finished the trail mix because I was still hungry. What's up with the appetite?

Bike riding to the city, shopping for my bike upgrade, coffee drinking on the sunny patio and printing a custom designed apron (J drew a logo as a joke, but I got the denim aprons and we decided to make this happen). Still cold but 30 km are in the books today.

5 pm M2. 2 eggs, sundried tomatoes, plantain, apple amd carrots. I am running on eggs today. Last year I'd be screwed as I could not eat them at all. I am the livig proof of the fact that some sensitivities are reversable with proper care.

8pm M 3. Making a whole smoked chicken NOT smothered in BBQ sauce as suggested by the bf. "I wanna glaze it with this sauce....mmm...will you explode if you eat it?" I am cooking spaghetti squash with sundried tomatoes and spinach/mushrooms for the sides.

Stuff that's good: everything but the amount of nuts I ate last night
Stuff that could be better: mystery breakouts (sunbutter?) and ridiculous dizziness after coming back from the ride. Gonna plant my derier on the couch and relax. Staying in tonight because someone has drank too much last night. Clue: it wasn't me. I just got trail mix wasted.

AA5BA95F-E30D-4806-92C0-36255E2DC7E8_zps

• Moderators

So cute! Love the apron!

Appetite and breakouts: period related? Sometimes it's not food.

Trail mix wasted. It's a thing. I used to do it regularly. Now in recovery.

Day 7. Not even a 1/3 through. I thought it'd go by faster :)

10 am M1. Eggs, plantain, sundried tomatoes. Coffee. Grapple a bit later.

1 pm Circus school. Oh yeaa baby. Tumbling (cartwheel, why are you so hard? You will be mine), loop silks, silks, hoop and flying trapeze. So much fun with my gym people. Banana right after.

4 pm M2...3....4....5.....dinner with family. Definitely not a template but compliant. I overate but I didn't struggle to skip dessert and didn't load up on fruits/nuts which is great. I ate a ton of veggies and the only complaint leeks/chicken stew that had potatoes in it. So glad that the rules are in my favor here. I tasted a bit of a goat meat and it sounded ok but there might be something I forgot to ask about, but I am not freaking out about this one. Uff food coma.

This week was all over the place. It almost doesn't feel like a whole30, because I am nowhere close to the real template calm eating. I need to focus on cutting on random incomplete meals because it leads to thinking of what else can I "afford" to eat. You know what I mean? This is a slippery slope. All on all, I feel good and ready to tackle week#2.

Day 8.

6:30 am M1: 1/2 apple with lemon water while getting ready and getting hungry. Pile of cabbage, 2 eggs and some caviar. Coffee.

Tummy was sore because of the feast last night, it didn't like the volume or the late night stuffing party. Meditated on the subway. That's next level, yall. Felt somewhat of a relief after.

12 pm M2: Big crunchy salad (daikon, pickles and tart apple, so good) + fatty yummy gelatinous goat stew with potatoes and leeks. Thanks auntie for packing leftovers. Trying my best to rock the template eating.

Pre WO small can of tuna and blueberries to get rid of the taste/gym/post WO turkey/banana/apple just couldn't get enough of that cold juiciness. That being said it was a grueling day at the gym. Sumo deadlift and bench press volume work - high reps. Crushed it. WOD was a circuit kb snatches with pushups. Shoulders toast.

M3: TBD. I think bf is smoking a chicken again. I was assigned a mission of finding a pork belly so we can cure it and smoke it this weekend. I know that there was asparagus and cauliflower in the fridge, so I am good with the sides.

M3. Smoked chicken, smoked cauliflower, squash and burned sprouts. Best part I didn't have to lift a finger. Nomnomnom.

Still dreaming about spinning on the hoop yesterday. I think I was dizzy for a good 10 minutes after. Circus School is my happy place as well as the ridiculous DOMs place. I can't even imagine how much of a pain my fellow gym members must be in as they are not used to using these muscles. Also, holy guacomole, my shoulders have grown twice in size over the year. I never thought that I'd get abs on my back <_< Price for a pull up (soon to happen) I guess.

image10_zpszmcaojxu.jpeg

• Moderators

GORGEOUS! I saw the spinspinspinspin on instagram and watching it nearly made me throw up. Amazing! Look at that form, those pointed toes, the angles of those legs. You ballerina, you!

I think this guy is a keeper. I want a man who smokes meats and charges me with finding pork belly and keeps veggies in his fridge for me.  :wub:

Meditating on the subway? That's beyond the next level. . . . 

Always feeling the love   :wub:

Lady M, yeah but he balances it out with inhaling cereal with milk every morning, telling me that cardio is the only way to lose "weight" and thinking I am a borderline crazy for not believing in popping a pill at any occasion. I am lucky though, you are right, I can't complain. 

Sara, yeah. We just put the florets into the cast iron skillet and place on the grill along with whatever meat is being smoked. I usually make coconut milk/mustard sauce and sprinkle it with chives. So good!

Pjena, nah, climbing is fun (if you idea of fun involves being in pain sometimes). It is definitely very rewarding. 

Day 9. 

6:30 am M1. Tiny piece of chicken, 2 eggs with spaghetti squash and sundried tomatoes. 

Bike ride to work (15k). Ravenous after. Banana with coffee. 

11 am. M2. I felt hungry but I tried to ignore it (not smart). It's not a lunch time yet. Still hungry. Decided to have a mini meal of carrots and sun butter as the only fat source available at the office.

12pm. M2.1 Wow, I am definitely still hungry. Burger patty and a pile of summer squash I grilled last night. Big mixed greens salad with cauliflower and no dressing as I forgot it at home.

Bike ride to the beach on my lunch break. I decided to explore the direction I have never gone. So calm and peaceful. I think I will start bringing my lunch containers with me and do some meditation to get a good use of an hour I have.  

5 pm M3. I got super hungry by 5. My appetite doesn't not seem to subside at slightest. Decided to have my meal/pre wo at the office. Heated a ton of broccoli with a burger patty. Felt like could have used more food and ate an apple with you know it...sun butter. No too much though. I have one more serving and the jar is gone, thank God.  

Gym

8 pm M4. Post WO blackberries while biking from the grocery store. Chicken piece, plantain and a bit of an avocado. Bell pepper strips. Too much too late but I feel that this killer workout has left my tank empty.  

My beloved gym is opening a second location right by my office. Lunch workouts dream is coming true!!! YAY. 

12072349-B402-40BA-8519-6E31EC0ECDE6_zps

Oh Sara, all we can do is try to listen to our body and stop over-analyzing its demands. I suck at this but it's process.

Plank thingy. I decided not to wait to do the plank, so I tried it after the gym. My arms were jello because I have done approximately 2476283476 rope slams and rowed to New York and back (clearly I am being dramatic). So my p-time was 3 minutes. I need to figure out how am I gonna increase it in a consistent manner. I guess 20 seconds each day? Given that I want to do a 6 min plank by the end of the whole30 it should be alright. Fun! 

Day 10. Almost done...not.  

6:30 am M1. Duck egg with the most delicious giant yolk, 1/2 plantain, broccoli and a chicken piece. I am kind of hungry but I wonder if it's my brain that wants the volume and I have conditioned it to insinuate hunger like sensations. Am I crazy?

M2. Burger patty and steamed veggies. Apple with the last of the sunbutter. Gone for the good.

M3. Fish roe with potatoes and broccoli or I might go out for the dinner with bf and his friends who is visiting. It's impossible to get a plan from them at this point which makes me a bit uneasy. 

Rest day, just active recovery in the form of a 10k bike ride. Some foam rolling might be a good idea too.     

I try too, but I'm an over-analyzer for sure!

3 minute plank, nice, but a 6 minute goal, yikes!  You better take up Jen's advice to read during it!   :D

I sometimes feel hungry if I didn't do enough chewing.  I think that's why I have a hard time with energy dense foods, my mind thinks that's all the chewing you get, if I eat something like a larabar.

• Moderators

I think your m1 looks small, depending on how big or small that chicken piece was, and maybe that's why you were hungry!

Thought of you today when my trainer was talking about a client of hers who works so hard in her regular life to get fit and lose weight and she just can't seem to get results. Then she goes on vacation, drinks booze but eats pretty clean, and drops 8 pounds. Stress response. It's for realz.

Also, a six minute plank? Increasing 20 seconds every day? Yikes, girl. That's intense. But this is Nadia B. we're dealing with here :D

Day 10. Part 2.

M3. I was hungry at 5. Mini-meal of a duck egg, avocado and bell pepper. Being so hungry makes me uncomfortable.

M4. Cuban restaurant with bf and his friend. I suggested the place so I knew I could eat there. Big hunk of roasted chicken, smashed plantains, spicy coleslaw and a salad with greens and avocado.

13 k bike ride. Almost forgot about the plank. Did my 3:20 min plank and nearly died. So pooped. Rest day gave me no rest.

Day 11.

So tired this morning despite of an 8 hr sleep. Debated weather I should bike to work or not. My inner gogo don't be a softy voice was really loud. However I remembered that I comitted to rest when I clearly need it. I have taken the subway.

7am. M1. Sundried tomatoes and smoked salmon. Classic situation when I have 2 minutes before I need to leave the house. Chased by a duck egg (I am becoming a huge fan, they are incredible), bell pepper and a banana after I got to the office.

M2 Broccoli/potatoes, 1/2 plantain and sardines in olive oil. I love them. Such a cheap protein source too. I have stuffed my office fridge with tons of food. Blueberries and an apple. Sore tummy cries for fruits :(

PreWO/gym/PostWO I should have probably canceled, but I have to show up. The truth is I have a quaterly plan with BOD etc appointment. I could not postpone it for 20 days. I could have canceled it altogether, but I feel that I pay a lot of money for my gym to not use it. On the other hand It makes me so anxious. It always wrecks me for couple day emotionally because I am making an enourmous effort eating right and train a whole lot, but this heartless machine will tell me I am not doing well enough. I asked them not to tell me the weight, just tell me if I am on track (and I know I am). They will fill out the form and send it to me by email. I will open it after I am done with whole30.

Thought of you today when my trainer was talking about a client of hers who works so hard in her regular life to get fit and lose weight and she just can't seem to get results. Then she goes on vacation, drinks booze but eats pretty clean, and drops 8 pounds. Stress response. It's for realz.

Oh how ironic that we posted thoughts about the same thing at the same time. I do try and sometimes I wonder if I am just trying too hard and that's my only downfall. If only I knew how to unhook myself. 

As for the plank, I have no idea what kind of schedule I need to create to achieve the goal. I just did the math and figured that if I want to go from 3 min to 6 min I need to increase 20 sec with some rest days and maintenance days thrown in there. I might magnificently fail :) 

• Moderators

Hmmm. Just wondering if you really need to push yourself with this plank goal right now. Why are you doing it again?

Fellow duck egg lover over here! I've switched entirely to duck eggs. Lucky me, I have a local producer who sells them for $3/dozen and $1.50 for every dozen after the first. I eat nearly two dozen a week. They're so rich and custardy. Especially full of extra good stuff in the spring when the happy ducks get to eat everything they love best. Good stuff!

Archived