Whole 7 + 30: Ready(or not) - Hep

Nadia B

Day 18. Update.

I made an effort to get decent dinner before going out that night. I have grabbed a buritto bowl with beef with all the appropriate fixings after the yoga class. This vinyassa flow class was actually pretty hard. I have also stopped at the convenience store on my way to the backyard BBQ birthday party. I got kombucha, an apple, carrots, pack of cashews and a banana. I have nibbled on cashews and steak pieces at the party. Biked to a bar, partied there then biked all the way back. Hungry so banana went into the carb hungry tummy. II think that today I have averaged 45 km on my bike. Wheeeew.

Day 19.

M1. Eggs, mushrooms, pork belly slice and a few slices if pineapple.

As much as I was good at deciding to rest yesterday, I was bad about going to the gym this am having slept 4,5 hours at best. My gym was opening a second location and I participated in the first workout ever. I am glad I didn't do a team race. It was a crazy 2 hour experience. I was happy with my conditioning class.

M2. Stayed for a celebration and a BBQ party. Roasted veggies/chopped salad/broccoli/asparagus with chicken pieces on the grill. Yum!

M3. Went to the market and got ridiculous ribs that are simmering in the crockpot atm. I also got steaks and sausages. Meat for days. To balance it out I have purchased fresh sweet peppers, asparagus and herbs in the pots. Pineapple sage smells awesome. I was hungry again but I guess I need it if my body screams for it. Carrots, chicken sausage, pork belly slice and a bell pepper. Found a few cashews left and ate them too. Cleaning and biking shortly after. Perfect weather.

M4. Ribs! Asparagus and bell peppers. 

I feel that I ate a boatload of food, but I don't feel stuffed or disgusting. I take it as an indicator that I amon track.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing that photo, I would love to run there, gorgeous!

Great work with your planned ahead meal, and no trail mix munching!  Some days are eating days, I felt like that on Saturday, after only a short run.  Yesterday, after a 7 miler, I wasn't nearly as hungry.  Just have to go with it....

Day 20. 

Eggs, ribs, apples, seeds, lamb chops and gyro, sauteed vegetables. All things compliant. Nothing special to report. Spent my day with Mom and Dad walking and being fools at the park. We also went for a dinner to the Greek restaurant. 4:10 min late night plank in the dress because I knew that the minute I put my pj's on the game is over  :lol:

Day 21. 

M1. Ribs and bell pepper.

15 km bike ride. 

M2. Plantain, sprouts, caviar and a coffee. 

M3. Sardines, salad with pepitas and bell peppers. Sardines are yummy, why do I keep forgetting this.  

PreWo/Gym/+ 15 km bike ride. No post Wo, just dinner.  

M4. Steak and something else compliant. 

Things I am excited about: I've got an unlimited membership to my gym's second location. I thought about it and I think I can keep my desire to train every day under control. I am also excited for the weather and major prettiness everywhere in the city. 

Things I am not excited about: my period starting again 2 weeks earlier than it should and this whole30. There, I said it, I can't wait for this round to be over. I don't have plans to eat all things, I am way behind this stage, I just don't feel that any of my efforts paid off or that anything has changed in any area this time around. The only thing I am glad is that my workout nutrition is more spot on - no more protein bars when I am not prepared. I have not noticed major difference in recovery with post meals, but I have noticed difference with eating a bit of protein prior. I will finish it but I don't actually want to*. 

DFD0BE6A-9151-4F25-8790-04234E034B12_zps  

*Disclaimer: I am not saying don't do it, people. Do it then do it again, it's great. It's my 4th, so I am no litmus test. 

I think persevering and finishing something because you committed to it can be important (assuming it is not harming you in some way), so good for you for finishing.  I think the big change is that there will be no big changes.  In the big ways you've figured out how to incorporate the parts of the W30 that work for you into your everyday.  So maybe next time you'll do something shorter, or just focus on one part of the process you need to get a handle on.

Glad you enjoyed your parents!

• Moderators

I think at a certain point of mastery there might not be as much to gain from the process. Then again, something profound and spectacular could happen in the next 10 days!

Thanks for encouragement, Sara and Lady M. I am not upset that I did it by any means. I half a**ed this one so there is a chance that I am just achieving the results accordingly -_- It helped me to get through a lot of events with minimal damage which is tremendously helpful.

My will was tested for the first time last night. J made steaks and a blue cheese sauce. I had to watch this buttery creamy cheesy goodness simemring on the stove. I swear I was going crazy. I didn't lick it, promise. Steak was heavenly good though.

Day 22.

M1. 1/2 plantain + chicken sausage + duck egg + bell pepper. Coffee. Love my Aeropress, best thing ever.

I should have eaten more starch last night. I feel that I have not recovered properly. No biking because I honor my limits.

M2. Bell peppers, sprouts and Thai chicken thighs that I made in crotchpot last night. They taste amazing and it was the easiest recipe ever. Place chicken in the pot, cover with the sauce that I eyeballed. Tomato paste, coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, sesame oil, sriracha (compliant!) and sunbutter.

M3. Starving! Pre wo meal turned full sized meal with salad, grilled vegetables and chicken shawarma meat. Oh boy, I am glad we are not squatting today.

Gym. Kettlebells darlings, come to me! Isometric holds were tough but I feel that these are extremely beneficial for shoulder stability. Single arm overhead passive or active holds with kb. Loved it. Finished off with some lung burning circuit.

No post WO, just M4. Giant beet with walnuts and avocado oil, chicken hearts. Few chunks of cantalupe. I need to add more carbs, I feel that starch at night is doing me good recovery wise.

10 days til the vacation! CAN'T WAIT.

Beets work for me, yes. Squash not so much. I actually stopped loving it (butternut). I like acorn wedges a lot but it doesn't love me back. 

I am off to an island in the middle of the ocean. Ok ok it's Azores. Surfing (bring on the wet suit for an ice cold water), national parks, insane mountain lakes and blue whale watching expedition. I will sleep, hike and eat all I want. Can you tell I am counting hours?

Day 23. 

I think I am playing a dangerous game with my adrenals. I couldn't go to sleep until midnight even though I was laying in bed by 10. I woke up twice until it was 4:30 and I couldn't go back to sleep. I was so alert it was scary. I woke up and made breakfast. I was so ridiculously hungry too. 

M1. 2 eggs, slice of roast and a giant bowl of my favorite salad from the childhood (shredded carrot-apple + raisins). Several cashews because still hungry-ish. I don't know if I actually feel hunger or it's my brain's way to induce it in my head and get more food. Am I just having typical oral fixation and food dependence? 

Chiropractor adjustment before work since I was awake so ungodly early. 

M2. Chicken and coconut chunks at work because still hungry...or am I? 

Lunch hour gym. Wooot. There is an annoying voice in my head that says if a workout looks like ridiculous fun and you feel like you have to do it while you can't even sleep, sprints is the last thing you need.  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure: Crushed it today, I don't know where all this energy came from (ridiculous bucket of fat in the morning???) Post Wo banana and chicken. 

M3. Soup and potatoes with cod.

Meeting with the friend who is pretty randomly found himself going to Toronto last minute. He is Italian and I went abroad to visit him many years ago. It was my first trip abroad and I have never looked back. Travelling is the best thing that exists. 

M4. Piece of chicken and some carrots.  

Day 24. Final stretch. 

Sleep was good, I did not wake up in the middle of the night. I think that noon workouts are the way for me, I am probably too cortisol high when I exercise in the evening.  

M1. Chicken hearts (Mama's treat haha) + chicken + apple/carrot and a few potatoes pieces. Coffee and a enclosed handful of cashews. Nadia, when will you learn that nuts are really not ideal for you. Like at all. 

PreWO forkful of salmon and carrots with guac. I just hate the hunger that I suppose is not hunger but my oral fixation. Working on it. 

Gym. Kettlebell snatches and shoulders prehab  :wub:  Frozen berries post. Not optimal but I can't cool down and catch my breath, conditioning part was unexpectedly tough. 

M2. Beet soup, potatoes, sprouts and smoked salmon. This will do as a post WO I guess. 

M3. Impromptu meeting with friends at the brewery. Stupid hungry and no food around. Dashed to the convenience store and got a sour apple and a nked bar (gasp, shock and some of the forum members fainting). It was actually a good call as my bf picked me up and I suggested we checl the new bar in our favorite hood. It's called Butcher Bar and it's exactly what it's called - butcher shop by day and a bar by night. Loved the place and had a good time sipping my water and happy with my emergency snack.  

M4. Steamed veggies and 2 chicken thighs in sauce.  

I actually feel great. Energized. My tummy is flat (ish) and not bothering me much even if I am eating a bucket of sprouts. While I was in the changing room of the gym I 1) gave myself a high five 2) noticed that I have actually developed nice obliques 3) told myself that I look amazing when my hair is messy and my face is flushing from moving my dear body. Now you go and do the same. Say something nice to yourself. Tiger blood is awesome when it comes. 

Day 25. Woowooo

M1. 2 eggs and 1/2 plantain. Good sleep. 

Bike ride to work. 15 km or windy uphill. Ouch.

M2. Roast beef with guac in lettuce cups. Nom.

M3. Beets soup, potatoes and roast beef roll ups.   

Gym. Post wo  - TBD.

M4. TBD

Going out, note to self - eat big dinner and pack snacks. I am feeling great, Lady M, you were so so right. I am feeling what I wanted to feel with this round. My body is keeping up with training and cooperates in most regards. Also - I am doing a rowing class with my gym girl tomorrow morning. It's like spinning but you got it, rowing. Not that my shoulders need to grow bigger, but it sounded like lots of fun and I am making an effort to bond with people I meet. 

Day 26.

Not so much of a sleep, because of partying. Woke up super early with zero food in the fridge. Made myself go and find a grocery store opened at 7:30 AM and made effort to cook decent breakfast.

M1. Tomato, bell pepper, eggs and pastrami. Sip of coffee and a banana.

Biked to the rowing class. Steepest hill I have ever conquered, what a lung burner! Rowing class was tough but me and my girl won the team race and we had 2 ppl on our team instead of 3, so we rowed for that invisible slacker. Fitfam as cool kids would say.

M2. Went to the patio with the teammate. There was nothing much I could eat, but I desperately needed post wo. Rowing got my tanks drained. I ate a salad with tuna and egg + a mango/orange juice. Don't frown, purists. I am aware how it's not in the whole30 fashion. I feel good about my decision and I feel that eating my post WO was really important today.

Biked around, shopped for food at the nicest fancy butcher (who else counts nice meat as a treat? haha). Came home and cooked a nice meal.

M3. The most delicious 1/2 plantain from the Caribbean store. Chicken and Jamaican avocado. That thing is the size of my head and is so sweet. Did you say I can have a 1/2 per template? B)

I am going to see my friends at the park, bike more, go to the pretentious reception for couple hours (note - eat before, there will probably be nothing compliant) then come back and go out with my crazy Italian friends. Long weekend aaaaaaaaw I needed you.

Also, I need your advice ppl. I am going to the breakfast with my best friend who turned vegetarian. When we eat out, I'd go to the vegetarian place instead and never preach. I don't care what she eats and she returns the favor. But eating on the whole30 could be hard with the vegetarian. I can't even think of a place that can be fun for both. Maybe I should just eat couple of eggs beforehand.

Also, I need your advice ppl. I am going to the breakfast with my best friend who turned vegetarian. When we eat out, I'd go to the vegetarian place instead and never preach. I don't care what she eats and she returns the favor. But eating on the whole30 could be hard with the vegetarian. I can't even think of a place that can be fun for both. Maybe I should just eat couple of eggs beforehand.

Is it possible to find a place to eat that has both vegetarian and non-vegetarian options? Does she get offended if you eat non-vegetarian food in front of her? 

I actually don't know. I always go and eat wherever she wants to to avoid conflict. She never gives me lectures or attitude whe we hang out.

It doesn't matter, because I think I am about to break my whole30. I will explain later but I am with Italians at their house and they cooked pasta...it's rice pasta but there is no way that I can avoid it without offending someone. Language and one Italian Mama that gets very upset are making it impossible. I tried talking to the son and explaining that my stomach will hurt etc...it didn't work that well....Oh boy, I am not paniced but I just wNt it to be my choice and not circumstances that let me break my round.

Crisis averted. Phewwwwwww that was intense. So they mixed the meat sauce with pasta....I ate chunks of meat around trying to not draw attention and just keep up the conversation. Aside from couple teases got away with giving away my food to other guys. Then the main corse was served and I have happily eaten a piece of meat and a banana after. 

Biking and more biking around. Great weather. 

Dinner was at the great restaurant. Spinach salad with hazelnuts, green beans with a pile of the most tender calamaris. Closed handful of almonds.  

Going out again. I plan to fry up a 1/2 plantain and an egg to fill me up for the night. 

Also, I got completely insane shoes. I have a thing for crazy combinations (also because then I can just wear jeans and tshirt with them). 

DC61D8B0-271D-4F9C-91DD-4744EC457BCD_zps

That was Day 27.

Love the fun shoes!

Great job averting ending the W30 early.  I can understand why you almost did, but as you said, you really want to end on your own terms.

So glad to hear you are doing so well, feeling good, living life, figuring out going out and working out.  Awesome.

Day 28.

All good and compliant. Navigated a lunch date with vegetarian friend by offering to go to the Whole Foods. I wasn't even that much hungry, but it was very easy to be neutral in that overpriced Namasteland. It worked and goes on my list of potentially dangerous social situations that I made work this round. Humble bragging. Sort of. 

Amazing weather, dinner out with friends (braised duck and seafood with steamed mustard greens) and fireworks tonight. Boom bam almost done.  

Day 29.

M1. Piece of chicken with a spoon of ghee pre workout. I suspect something made its' way to my plate which is really likely given that I ate at the Chinese restaurant last night. I was useless at the gym, I felt like I was run over by a truck. So many pullups and knees to elbows. These suck when you have calluses and possibly some MSG circulating in your blood. Maybe I overdid on the magnesium before bed last night. Urgh what a rude return to reality after the long weekend. 

M2. Chicken and plantain. Big fat plantain. My absolute love. Coffee. 

M3. Salmon, bell peppers and a salad.  

15km bike ride. 

M4. Taco Tuesdays. Boston lettuce cups with guac and veal taco meal. NOM. 

Archived