Please could you confirm this is right...

Hi - I'm on day 2 of my first w30. I know it's still early days but I'm feeling ok and I've never eaten so much food!

Please can I just check I'm doing this right ....

Meal 1 - 2 organic fried eggs, leeks and mushrooms.

Meal 2 - tuna salad with cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, 1 avocado and w30 Mayo.

Meal 3 - duck breast with sliced white potatoes and snap peas.

Snacks - 1 x date and cashew bar, 1 orange and a few cashews

I have got a bit of brain fog today! So maybe something is taking effect! Which is probably why I'm asking for confirmation again!

Many thanks.

• Administrators

Hi,

I know it must seem like you're eating a lot of food but the fact that you are snacking tells us that you aren't eating enough at your meals.  Eggs as a singular protein are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping.  For most women that's 3-4.  Some folks (such as myself) prefer to do 2-3 eggs and add a bit of meat as it tends to take a person a bit further.  

Eating larabar style foods, fruits and nuts on their own are going to keep any sugar or snacky dragons alive and well along with spiking your blood sugar, causing extra hunger and not allowing your hormones to rebalance.  

Check out the meal template below in my signature.  Work to make each meal last you 4-5 hours.  Eat fruit with a main meal but don't let it push veggies off your plate.

Brain fog can be common at the beginning, particularly if you are coming off a higher carb intake and moving to Whole30. W30 is not actually a low carb plan though and we recommend, especially for women and those in transition, to eat at least one serving of starchy veggies per day (serving = fist sized).  Brain fog and headaches can also be caused by undereating.  Check the template, bump your protein at breakfast and bump the veggies for your other meals.

:D

• Administrators

Have you tried roasting them? Steamed or boiled veggies are not living their best lives.

Throw some brussel sprouts, a couple baby potatoes, a chopped sweet onion, brocoli, asparagus, green beans, etc in a bowl, toss in olive oil or animal fat, sprinkle with good, coarse sea salt and some fresh black pepper and roast them all together (don't crowd them, use two pans if necessary) at 435F for about 25 minutes.

I'm with Lady Shanny.  Throw everything on a sheet pan, kick the over door shut, roast and voila.  When you're hungry, less complicated can be more.

I believe in pulling what we need from lots of different sources.   A bunch of nut and dried fruit avoidance.

A heaping spoonful of MacNut Oil, whopping boatloads of simple recipes, a tad of Whole 30 rule reminders, a smidge of forum search engine awareness, a touch of Moderator hugs, an embracement of simplicity and a willingness to make up words like embracement.

I made an awesome broccoli soup out of chopped stems, garlic, chicken stock, and some spices.  Hit it with my stick blender to make it smooth.  It was a nice change.

My favorite way to handle veggies--broccoli florets and baby carrots and red peppers, and sometimes sweet potatoes, all chunked up.  cut up about 5 strips of compliant bacon and mix with the veggies.  Sprinkle with kosher salt and some paprika and then roast at 425* for about 25 minutes.  It's my favorite--and even my picky 8 year old will eat them.

Slather some homemade mayo on broccoli and cauliflower.. it makes it great.. and a table spoon or two goes a long ways..

Mmmm.... this. Roasted broccoli with a drizzle of mayo and, if you're feeling extra fancy, a sprinkle of raisins and/or slivered almonds.

Archived