Let's talk about poop (on the Whole 30)

Ah, such a beautiful topic...

But anyway, my boyfriend and I are 17 days into our first Whole 30 and while things are going quite well, our poo is...ummm...not poo-fect...

Typically my number 2s are number 1: firm enough, a good length and texture, a decent amount. My poos now are less frequent and tending to be skinnier, less compacted poos. They feel less satisfying. I'm having them less often (not daily) and wondering what gives? My boyfriend said, and I kind of agree, that it seems the food going in does not equal the food going out. Now I know I'm eating healthier foods that my body absorbs better and less bulky poo makes sense, but I'm still thinking these subpar poos are not "the shit" so to speak. Any thoughts??

• Moderators

Not going every day, especially if you are used to daily movements, is concerning. However, if you are eating plenty of veggies, I would just keep going and expect things to work themselves out soon enough.

I experience variety in consistency and have never been confident of why.

Over the past 10 days I started drinking kombucha (live culture probiotic) every day. I had diarrhea for the first two days, firmed up on the third and fourth days, and have had solid movements since. I don't know if this will continue, but I'm pretty happy with the change. I'm buying the GT Dave's brand at Whole Foods.

Thank you Tom! I feel the same way too and am hoping it will balance out! Or maybe someone else will have thoughts on this too. :) And I LOVE kombucha and have had that regularly but try to not have it too too much because I feel like I crave the sugar in it. I know, call me crazy, but it just feels that way to me. :) My favorite is the Trilogy, what's yours?

I suspect it's a fiber thing. You could be getting a lot of all one type depending on your fruit and veggie mix. I've noticed that I'm good if I consistently have at least half a sweet potato (roasted, cooled = good source of resistant starch) during the day, not so good if I go a couple of days without.

Well, as far as another mod goes, you've got Tom's two cents. I'm just going to echo what he said. Your body is a) all whacked out right now trying to figure out how to handle all this useful food (instead of afore mentioned lemon poppy seed muffins) and 2) using more of the food you take in. It's really normal for things to change consistency - some folks it takes all 30 days to straighten out - be patient and go with the flow ;0)

Ah I didn't realize Tom was a moderator. Now I'm doubly lucky! Thank you all so much! I will try the sweet potato trick and see how that goes. Lately I'm having a shift with a LOT of unhappy feeling elimination but I DO think my body is shifting. Glad I plan to go for 60 days because right now I'm at 25! Thanks again!

• 7 months later...

So glad this is posted - I've been having "trouble" too. Glad to know I'm not alone in this. I have rarely ever had to "struggle" to go, but has become a regular thing these past two weeks - I'm at day 15 today. Otherwise feeling fabulous! I'm a nurse, so change in bowel habits are definitely concerning. I'll give it another couple weeks and see how I fare. I'll try the sweet potato idea too - thanks!

• 2 years later...

Thank goodness someone posted about this.  I'm on Day 20. I used to have a great morning BM but no more.I struggle and strain and things come out looking like rabbit pellets and finally with a lot of extra strain I hit the finale let's just say.  I will try the sweet potato idea as well as taking Calm - a magnesium supplement before bed. I'm an athlete so much like the nurse I've especially tuned into my bowel movements.  Do you think it could have to do with the extra nuts I'm eating? Should I stay away? I eat Lara bars while cycling and these have really helped since my other supplements were definitely not Whole30 compliant.  .

Do you think it could have to do with the extra nuts I'm eating? Should I stay away? I eat Lara bars while cycling and these have really helped since my other supplements were definitely not Whole30 compliant.  .

yes, nuts and Lara Bars are notorious for causing digestive troubles. I would cut them out completely for a while and focus on meat, fat and vegetables (including some starchy ones) and see how you do.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for all of the discussions of what some people find unmentionable! I started a Paleo approach to eating in January, but got derailed late in the month and went back to my old ways, which included constipation. Was also taking multivitamins and multiple supplements, including probiotics. Had explosive, loose to watery stools (basically diarrhea) without feeling bad. 

On Feb. 20th I started Whole30. This actually eliminated a few things, like Stevia and plant protein powder, but added foods like fruits, nightshades. I am building up to taking all the supplements that I was on in January. When I started the Whole30 plan the stools were usually once a day and easy to pass, not watery or explosive. Now that I added probiotics, I am starting to have explosive, gassy (but not bloated) watery stools and diarrhea. In January, sometimes there was such an urgency that I barely made it to bathroom in time. 

What should I know and/or watch for. Can you take too many supplements/probiotics. Please advise. Thanks in advance Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

Day 24 here!  i'm having issues as well, @nangail and found somewhere on this website that they recommend vegan-zyme. for digestive issues and to help support the immune system.  i just ordered it, so i'll let you know.  i am only going once a day first thing in the morning, but the need to go wakes me up and i almost don't make it to the bathroom either.  i thought it would straighten out, but has been the same since the beginning. 

not sure if you already have or not, but you may want to do a little research on probiotics and how they work and which ones are the best.  I know that not all probiotics are created equal.  

good luck!

• 5 months later...
On 9/2/2012 at 9:18 AM, Robin Strathdee said:

Well, as far as another mod goes, you've got Tom's two cents. I'm just going to echo what he said. Your body is a) all whacked out right now trying to figure out how to handle all this useful food (instead of afore mentioned lemon poppy seed muffins) and 2) using more of the food you take in. It's really normal for things to change consistency - some folks it takes all 30 days to straighten out - be patient and go with the flow ;0)

I'm in month 3.  I've eaten a compliant menu pretty much the whole time since getting through the 30 day start up, and the bowels haven't decided on a "regular" response, so in my case, it's taking much more than 30 days to get sorted out.  I haven't had any predictable BM frequency and consistency.  I'll have a day with no BM, then followed by a day with three pasty poops  (sung to the tune of Three Blind Mice...).

In my pre-Whole30 life, I used to take a daily psyllium husk fiber powder in water to bulk up the stools and it was mostly successful in keeping things predictable and tidy. I'd rather not have to take a supplement for this if there's something menu related that would work. 

There are three foods that have become staples in my daily menu:  1) sweet potatoes - in breakfast scramble and as a side dish for dinner once or twice a week. 2) avocado oil in cooking and salad dressing and sliced avocado on breakfast scramble and lunch salad. 3) coconut cream - in my morning coffee and with berries as a yogurt replacement.  Are any of these typical poop trouble makers? I thought they'd be just the opposite - particularly avocado and coconut - kind of like greasing the skids.

6 minutes ago, Wholey Moley said:

Are any of these typical poop trouble makers?

Yup.

Sweet potato, avocado, and coconut cream are all high FODMAP foods and so can wreak havoc on the digestive system. I'd start by removing all three for a few weeks to see what sort of an impact that has on your bowel movements - a HUGE one I'd suspect.

ETA: Coconut oil & avovado oil are fine.

11 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Yup.

Sweet potato, avocado, and coconut cream are all high FODMAP foods and so can wreak havoc on the digestive system. I'd start by removing all three for a few weeks to see what sort of an impact that has on your bowel movements - a HUGE one I'd suspect.

ETA: Coconut oil & avovado oil are fine.

On the FODMAP shopping list in Whole30 book, I see avocado as something to avoid.  I don't see any mention of coconut cream and it lists sweet potatoes in the category of Best Choices. Are you saying sweet potato is NOT a best choice?  If so, is there an updated shopping list?  

I'll start with limiting avocado and onions and see how that impacts.

MANY people who struggle with hihgh FODMAP foods struggle with sweet potato - I know I couldn't eat them for a long time until I allowed my gut to heal fully, and there are plenty of other low FODMAPers here on the forum who would concur.

I'd always refer people to >this< list for FODMAPs as it's much more comprehensive. Ignore the large text at the top of the page & scroll to about half way down to see the traffic light system list in full.

Is there any definitive way to know if what's happening is a FODMAP sensitivity?  I, too, have been having problems with consitipation, like, last week went probably four days in a row and right now it's been a couple of days again... After reading this post I went back and looked at my food journal and it seems when I started eating a lot of sweet potato is when it started happening.  Also upped my avocado intake.  Though I could just be CORRELATING those two things?  So my question is, is the only way to know if that's the problem to eliminate them and see how it goes?  I have been eating a lot of vegetables and drinking a lot of water.  This is my third Whole30 and I always have this problem.

Thanks for any advice!

On 8/28/2017 at 1:24 PM, jmcbn said:

MANY people who struggle with hihgh FODMAP foods struggle with sweet potato - I know I couldn't eat them for a long time until I allowed my gut to heal fully, and there are plenty of other low FODMAPers here on the forum who would concur.

I'd always refer people to >this< list for FODMAPs as it's much more comprehensive. Ignore the large text at the top of the page & scroll to about half way down to see the traffic light system list in full.

So the way to identify FODMAP sensitivity is just to go without?  This is my third Whole30 and I always get constipated.  After reading your posts I went back and looked at my food journal and it looks like after I started consciously trying to eat more sweet potato and avocado because I was having issues with light-headedness is when my constipation problems started.  I'm on day 21.  The first week and a half were fine digestion wise but last week I went I think four days and now it's been several days again.  I eat a ton of vegetables and drink a lot of water.  Does it sound like FODMAPS could be the culprit?

Also I have been taking magnesium every night and even took another packet this morning and nothing's moving.  Needless to say I feel FULL.

Thanks.

Archived