Let's talk about poop (on the Whole 30)

11 minutes ago, Anna K said:

Is there any definitive way to know if what's happening is a FODMAP sensitivity?

Are you having any other symptoms? Stomach cramps, bloating, seriously bad gas...? :wacko: Usually these are linked with FODMAP sensitivity, along side constipation and/or diarrhoea...

Lightheadedness could be linked to dehydration, lack of fat, and/or lack of salt. How was your water/fat intake specifically?

Just now, jmcbn said:

Are you having any other symptoms? Stomach cramps, bloating, seriously bad gas...? :wacko: Usually these are linked with FODMAP sensitivity, along side constipation and/or diarrhoea...

Lightheadedness could be linked to dehydration, lack of fat, and/or lack of salt. How was your water/fat intake specifically?

So I thought maybe I was getting light headed because I wasn't eating enough fat and carbohydrate because I'm more active than average folk so I upped the avocado and sweet potato in my life and also the water intake.  But now here I am, super constipated.  Also having some intermittent afternoon tiredness, though getting up in the morning just fine and sleeping just fine.  Here are a few days of eating:

Meal 1:  leftover sausage skillet (which includes veggies like zucchini, green beans, kale), some blueberries

Meal 2:  tuna salad on greens with cucumber and cherry tomatoes

Meal 3:  chicken thighs fried in coconut oil, ghee-roasted sweet potatoes

Meal 1:  Three eggs, mushrooms and spinach, five pieces of bacon, ½ avocado, coffee

Meal 2:  Salad with kale, beets, carrots, pumpkin seeds, tomato, chicken, ¼ avocado, Tessemae’s dressing

Meal 3:  Chicken thighs fried in coconut oil, baked sweet potato with ghee, steamed kale

Meal 1:  Three eggs, power greens (baby spinach, kale, chard, etc.), kalamatas, cooked in coconut oil, ½ avocado, ½ c cherry tomatoes

Meal 2:  Curried chicken salad on greens with cherry tomatoes, orange pepper and cucumber

Snack:  1 peach and some almonds

Meal 3:  Chicken thighs pan fried in coconut oil, ½ sweet potato with ghee, salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, olives, ½ avocado and balsamic vinegar

Thank you!

Just now, jmcbn said:

Active how? Where are your pre & post WO meals?

I do about 1-2 hours of Ashtanga yoga 6 days a week and I walk a lot.  Also I'm a yoga teacher.  I practice first thing in the morning before eating so generally I eat a big breakfast right after practice.  My other activities aren't very high intensity so I didn't feel like I needed extra meals, but they compound to a pretty active lifestyle, compared to the average American I would say.

9 minutes ago, Anna K said:

My other activities aren't very high intensity so I didn't feel like I needed extra meals, but they compound to a pretty active lifestyle

Yeah, I'd  probably try and add in a postWO meal, or a mini meal somewhere during your day. You shouldn't really need to go overboard on starchy veg provided you're getting enough of it on a daily basis, but I think you'd fare better with more fat in some of your meals. You could maybe try some resistant starch (ie. cooled boiled potatoes in a potato salad for instance) for the constipation and see how you go from there...

Just now, jmcbn said:

Yeah, I'd  probably try and add in a postWO meal, or a mini meal somewhere during your day. You shouldn't really need to go overboard on starchy veg provided you're getting enough of it on a daily basis, but I think you'd fare better with more fat in some of your meals. You could maybe try some resistant starch (ie. cooled boiled potatoes in a potato salad for instance) for the constipation and see how you go from there...

So it doesn't seem like a FODMAP problem to you?

Just now, Anna K said:

So it doesn't seem like a FODMAP problem to you?

It *could* be, but without the other symptoms I'd say it's unlikely. Of course over exposure of any food can cause a sensitivity so maybe mix up your veg a little more & ease off on the avocado in favour of other fats, but IMO, based on the little info that I have, I'd say it's probably not FODMAPs.

Hope this helps :)

Just now, jmcbn said:

It *could* be, but without the other symptoms I'd say it's unlikely. Of course over exposure of any food can cause a sensitivity so maybe mix up your veg a little more & ease off on the avocado in favour of other fats, but IMO, based on the little info that I have, I'd say it's probably not FODMAPs.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks so much for the help.  So what could be causing the constipation if it's not FODMAPs?  It seems extreme to be constipated for 4 days when I'm eating quite a lot of vegetables...

15 minutes ago, Anna K said:

Thanks so much for the help.  So what could be causing the constipation if it's not FODMAPs?  It seems extreme to be constipated for 4 days when I'm eating quite a lot of vegetables...

It could just be the types of veg you are eating which is why I'd suggest mixing things up a bit. Whilst FODMAPs may not be the issue you could well have over exposed yourself to the sugars in the sweet potato/avocado leaving your gut a little sensitive to them.

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, HalfNelson2011 said:

I’m on day 6 of my program and I’ve stopped going. Is it time introduce kombucha or a magnesium supplement or both?  

I was pretty regular before. Not uncomfortable yet but a bit concerned. 

Thanks!

You could try kombucha or magnesium -- I probably wouldn't try both at once, at least to start out, and if you haven't taken magnesium in the past, don't start out with a maximum dose. 

Also, be sure you're drinking plenty of water, aiming for at least 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz; eat plenty of vegetables and try to have a mix of types (i.e., some starchy, some leafy greens, some other); and be sure you're adding fat to your meals.

Here are my 2 cents-

My body MISSES oats and beans SOOOOOO much, mainly because of the way they keep me going to the bathroom regularly. I have to say that personally, my BMs have been wacky because of all the meat I've eaten on W30 vs my usual diet of plant proteins aka oats and beans. It doesn't matter how much broccoli, greens, fibrous foods and water I eat and drink, my BMs are never 100% normal or satisfying while on W30. I love what I've learned on W30 and will continue many of the things I've learned, but I will not miss eliminating oats or beans from my diet!

Do you think it could be the amt of meat you and your bf are eating?

On 3/31/2018 at 11:24 PM, ShannonM816 said:

You could try kombucha or magnesium -- I probably wouldn't try both at once, at least to start out, and if you haven't taken magnesium in the past, don't start out with a maximum dose. 

Also, be sure you're drinking plenty of water, aiming for at least 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz; eat plenty of vegetables and try to have a mix of types (i.e., some starchy, some leafy greens, some other); and be sure you're adding fat to your meals.

Thank you!  I tried the Kombucha and it seems to work for me.  I do need to drink more water.  I think we (my husband and I) are eating plenty of veggies of all types.  Trying to mix it up as much as possible.  Day 11 and we do not have the urge to quit but rather the urge to continue beyond the 30 days with some modifications.  Until those modifications start making a negative difference.

Archived